Have you ever read a book to a child?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Mjgarrison
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 30
Currently Reading: Dear John
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mjgarrison.html
Latest Review: "The Elf Coup - Book Three of the Magi Charter" by Jordan David

Re: Have you ever read a book to a child?

Post by Mjgarrison » 07 Dec 2017, 13:44

I've been a mother for 20 years and a preschool teacher for 10, so yes I love reading to children. My son was going through a phase where he absolutely hated reading but it was always homework. So I picked the book Hatchet and about an hour before bedtime we would go to his room and read. He would read a chapter then I would, those became some very cherished moments. My daughter was a very avid reader and about the time she started reading on her own she had no patience to be read to. We would often read the same book though so we could discuss it.

Insightsintobooks729
Currently Reading: Meet your soul
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks729.html
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks729 » 13 Dec 2017, 11:52

I read to my son at night. He loves books.
"I cannot live without Books" - Thomas Jefferson

BiljanaH
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 2
Favorite Book: I Am, I Am, I Am
Currently Reading: The Power
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-biljanah.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by BiljanaH » 07 Jan 2018, 02:53

Reading to my children is one of my favourite activities of the day. It is an ideal time for bonding, so they enjoy it too. I have two children, four and six years old, so every day at bedtime, we would pick one book each or sometimes one for both of them, read and then chat about it - what was funny, sad, good or bad, sweet and whatnot. The chat would usually turn into a conversation about events of the day too.

SPasciuti
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 17
Favorite Author: Marissa Meyer
Favorite Book: The Wendy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spasciuti.html
Latest Review: "The Rebirth of Francesca" by Yoleen Valai
fav_author_id: 2388

Post by SPasciuti » 10 Jan 2018, 12:56

I used to read to my brother, but I often got annoyed when he didn't pay attention. I really love reading to kids, though. The best is when they bring a book to me and ask me to read to them. Though, after the 50th reread of Curious George, I begin to get a little tired of reading the SAME book, lol. I've noticed that happens quite often when it comes to kids.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”