Fiction versus Non-fiction

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
patrickt
Bookshelf Size: 0

Fiction versus Non-fiction

Post by patrickt »

When my children were growing up I told them that there was often more truth in fiction than in non-fiction. Any thoughts on the subject?
SparklingOne
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: A Breath of Snow and Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparklingone.html
Latest Review: "I AM GOD" by Shawn Dall
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by SparklingOne »

I think you can learn quite a bit from fiction. As a big fan of historical fiction, I know you have to be careful with fiction as an author may take some creative license generating their story. This doesn't bother me much, since I nearly always look up items, especially if the topic interests me.
Our lives are defined by opportunities, even the ones we miss.
The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button by F. Scott Fitzgerald.
Latest Review: "I AM GOD" by Shawn Dall
Storygamer88
Currently Reading: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Bookshelf Size: 365
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-storygamer88.html
Latest Review: "A Town Called Gonefor" by Wesley Cris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Storygamer88 »

I dont know how you can say there's more truth in fiction? Can you elaborate? I love fiction a lot more than nonfiction, but I just cant comprehend your logic, honestly...
Hi all. I like board games, card games, video games, books (especially children's books and mysteries), stories, cartoons, anime, manga, light novels, animation, and other light-hearted, fun things. Feel free to message if you want to chat!
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Storygamer88 wrote:I dont know how you can say there's more truth in fiction? Can you elaborate? I love fiction a lot more than nonfiction, but I just cant comprehend your logic, honestly...

I think the gist is that a fiction author will try to reveal some truth, if in a roundabout way, while a lot of non-fiction is colored by the opinions of those who wrote it.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Storygamer88
Currently Reading: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Bookshelf Size: 365
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-storygamer88.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Storygamer88 »

Gravy wrote:
Storygamer88 wrote:I dont know how you can say there's more truth in fiction? Can you elaborate? I love fiction a lot more than nonfiction, but I just cant comprehend your logic, honestly...

I think the gist is that a fiction author will try to reveal some truth, if in a roundabout way, while a lot of non-fiction is colored by the opinions of those who wrote it.
Hmm, I see. I think thats a pretty broad assumption to make about all fiction and nonfiction in my opinion. I agree a lot of nonfiction is colored by personal takes, like the experiences of a writer influencing how he portrays the characters though. It reminds me a bit of the Rashomon effect - what you see isnt what you always get, especially compared to others' experiences of the same moment. But I think nonfiction will still reveal more truths than fiction, even if fiction is realistic - you also get a lot of nonrealistic/wacky/unbelievable moments in fiction.
Hi all. I like board games, card games, video games, books (especially children's books and mysteries), stories, cartoons, anime, manga, light novels, animation, and other light-hearted, fun things. Feel free to message if you want to chat!
Jolyon Trevelyan
Favorite Author: Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Bookshelf Size: 10
fav_author_id: 2563

Post by Jolyon Trevelyan »

Of course non fiction is better to read if you want to learn something. Thats goes without saying really.
A mistake is simply another way of doing things
Pm7lucas
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pm7lucas.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
Reading Device: 1400699169

Post by Pm7lucas »

For me it's not an either or...if I want to be entertained, I read fiction...the crazier the better. If I want to learn something, I read non-fiction.

I was a huge historical romance reader in my younger days, and I have to say that I learned a LOT about history through the books I read. I think most authors of those kinds of books research the period in history so their stories can be as realistic as possible.

Paula :D
"I think therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
ebethina
Currently Reading: Homeport
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebethina.html
Latest Review: "Temptation Trials Part II" by B. Truly

Post by ebethina »

I think it's 50/50. In a true story, non-fiction, most of the time you know it's going to be true information. Then there are cases where there is quite the truth in fiction novels.
Latest Review: "Temptation Trials Part II" by B. Truly
Jolyon Trevelyan
Favorite Author: Fyodor Dostoyevsky
fav_author_id: 2563

Post by Jolyon Trevelyan »

SparklingOne wrote: 10 Jun 2017, 23:17 I think you can learn quite a bit from fiction. As a big fan of historical fiction, I know you have to be careful with fiction as an author may take some creative license generating their story. This doesn't bother me much, since I nearly always look up items, especially if the topic interests me.
You may learn something but if you want to learn you should read non fiction not fiction.
A mistake is simply another way of doing things
Placid Distortion
Favorite Author: Scott Westerfeld
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-placid-distortion.html
Latest Review: "My Author Is Dead" by Michel Bruneau
fav_author_id: 3521

Post by Placid Distortion »

Depends on what you want to learn and how. Some people learn just fine through indirect avenues like fiction, some people *comprehend* information better when it's presented in a way that entertains as well as it informs. Then there's also the part where even fiction relies on storytelling aspects that relate to human experience even if the things in a particular story are neither human nor realistic, those stories are meant to engage people on levels other than intellectual, and being of that nature doesn't mean there's nothing to learn. Ideally, everything has something to learn, even if it's only about oneself and how one relates to the world, doesn't even have to be a conscious thing, but it's still a thing.
Latest Review: "My Author Is Dead" by Michel Bruneau
Insightsintobooks729
Currently Reading: Meet your soul
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks729.html
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks729 »

I love both fiction and non fiction. I love nonfiction to learn something and fiction to take me somewhere else.
"I cannot live without Books" - Thomas Jefferson
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
Camille Turner
Currently Reading: Angela's Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camille-turner.html
Latest Review: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin: The Sedes Infernum by C.S. Colvin

Post by Camille Turner »

I love both genres dearly. I think there are things to be gained by reading both, though I will say that I read fiction more often.
elinadsy
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elinadsy.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by elinadsy »

i think it depends on context. for example, would i look to fantasy fiction as comments on race relations in 1800's america? no. buuuuuut would i look to it for comments on human interaction? absolutely.

while non-fiction is obviously important, i'm hesitant to take a lot of it as gospel truth, especially books on history. there's inevitable bias, always, especially if I see it's written by a white historian on, say, 1940's Mainland China.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

And then there is the opposite ......

If you have ever read the non-fiction book Seabiscuit: An American Legend, by Laura Hillenbrand I think you would agree with me that had this been written as a fictional novel no one would have accepted it because it would be too sappy and unbelievable ... but ... it was true.

I am not into horse racing at all, but I saw a documentary about Seabiscuit which galvanized my interest in this one horse. This eventually led me to read Hillenbrand's book and then see the movie which was both totally faithful to the real story and, had I not already known the truth, totally unbelievable. Truth IS sometimes stranger than fiction. I am convinced of that. See the movie and you will be too.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”