Footnotes

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Footnotes

Post by Jaime Lync »

I am currently reviewing a book with tons of footnotes. It is my opinion that I have to read them all because I am reviewing the book. However, I usually don't read footnotes.
Do you read footnotes? You know those footnotes that may be associated with a quote on the page that has a number to specify the footnote...do you read the footnotes as their relevant portions in the book pop up or do you read them all together at the end of the chapter/page?
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I don't like footnotes, but read them if they relevant to the tale. I don't like it when footnotes are placed at the end of the book and tend to skip them in that case.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

In my experience, footnotes are used so as not to clutter the page or distract from the narration/story. They are used to clarify the word or phrase referred to (where the footnote number is attached). I read them immediately so I can better understand whatever is referred to. Footnotes may also be used to name the original author of the quote or sentence to give due credit. Otherwise, the writer may be accused of plagiarism.
I also think footnotes are troublesome but they keep both reader and writer out of trouble.
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

Always, since they usually have interesting information in them. I read them immediately because by the end of the page or chapter I would probably forget entirely what they are referencing.
IsabelMay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3761
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isabelmay.html
Latest Review: "Anna's Journey" by Gerald Miller

Post by IsabelMay »

I despise them, to be frank. It reminds me of scientific researches I worked on that had very little text and a whole load of footnotes. The tricky thing is that some are actually crucial for later understanding. If there are few of them, it's fine, but if it takes more than five lines... it just takes away from the book.
Latest Review: "Anna's Journey" by Gerald Miller
Storygamer88
Currently Reading: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Bookshelf Size: 365
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-storygamer88.html
Latest Review: "A Town Called Gonefor" by Wesley Cris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Storygamer88 »

I like them if they're relevant, but some can go into too much detail. I guess I also think writers for a story should write in a way that footnotes arent needed.

I dont mind them in academic texts though.
Hi all. I like board games, card games, video games, books (especially children's books and mysteries), stories, cartoons, anime, manga, light novels, animation, and other light-hearted, fun things. Feel free to message if you want to chat!
Latest Review: "A Town Called Gonefor" by Wesley Cris
Pm7lucas
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pm7lucas.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
Reading Device: 1400699169

Post by Pm7lucas »

I read footnotes as they come up...I like to have the best understanding of the material.

Paula :D
"I think therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
Ama Idim
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ama-idim.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty

Post by Ama Idim »

I don't like footnotes but I guess I have to read them if I must understand the book properly.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
PABS
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pabs.html
Latest Review: This Side of Paradise: the Religious World of Elijah Muhammad by Curtis J. Tilleraas

Post by PABS »

I read them as they come up. If I waited until the end, I'm sure I would not remember the referent. This is another reason why I prefer physical books over digital ones. It's so much easier to mark where the footnotes begin and flip to and from them.
DATo
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

I am currently on volume 2 of Edward Gibbon's The Decline And Fall Of The Roman Empire. I would estimate that (believe it or not) about 1/4 or more of the book is footnotes. Much of the reason for this is that Gibbon is citing his sources and often there are contradictory views and language interpretations by ancient as well as modern chroniclers. One of the reasons that this work is held in high esteem is precisely because Gibbon was extremely thorough in citing his evidence for virtually everything he put into the books. This is all well and good and since I am not interested in the scholarly aspect of the work I could simply ignore the footnotes ... EXCEPT .... that often there is something of great interest regarding the actual events being described in the text proper and in order to know if this is the case one is forced to at least peruse every footnote. It is very frustrating because only one in about ten to twenty footnotes actually has something worth reading, but it is usually something fascinating that one would want to know.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Taekwondoqueen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taekwondoqueen.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by Taekwondoqueen »

Personally, I don’t like or read footnotes. Feel that they are distracting and take away from the story. Maybe this is only my opinion, who knows.
Jennifer Fernandez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-fernandez.html
Latest Review: The Enemy In Me by Jacob Newell Campbell

Post by Jennifer Fernandez »

I read them if they clarify something I don't understand. If they just mention authors that said the same thing, I ignore them.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. - H.P. Lovecraft :techie-studyinggray:
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

I am used to reading footnotes as the academic papers I read always have them and even worse hide important information in them.
lisalynn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalynn.html
Latest Review: Sex on every Paige by Graham Spaid

Post by lisalynn »

Footnotes have their place. They are important to cite references or to make additional comments on the text. I expect them in a more academic setting, but I found the book I'm Keith Hernandez to be full of footnotes. One on almost every page. For a memoir like that, most of the footnoted information could have been included as part of the story. The footnotes became a distraction from an otherwise pretty good book.
car-mbz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-car-mbz.html
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo

Post by car-mbz »

I don't love footnotes but I read them anyway. I think if they are used creatively can add exciting energy to a story.
"Today a reader, tomorrow a leader." Margaret Fuller
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”