Going against the crowd in loving or hating a book

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
KAMama
Currently Reading: HEALTH TIPS, MYTHS, AND TRICKS: A Physician's Advice (Snake Oil Book 2)
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kamama.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD

Going against the crowd in loving or hating a book

Post by KAMama »

Have you ever read a book that you hated that everyone else seemed to love or vice versa?

For example, in my first college literature class we had to read Beloved by Toni Morrison. I found it unnecessarily complicated and I had to force myself to read it, which is very unusual for me with any decent book.

I have been considering trying to read it again, but I'm afraid that I still won't like it.

Anyone have similar experiences?
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD
WordHound
Currently Reading: The Elf Brief
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wordhound.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by WordHound »

Don Quixote. I have lost track of the number of times I have tried to read this book. The concept is interesting, in theory, but I always end up wanting to throw the book across the room. Yet, it seems like every time I mention this book someone claims it is a favorite!
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”