JUDGE A BOOK: by cover,author, title?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Maria joraimah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 92854">The Zodiac Killer</a>
Currently Reading: Unbroken
Bookshelf Size: 28

Re: JUDGE A BOOK: by cover,author, title?

Post by Maria joraimah »

The first thing I do when I shop for books is to read the summary. Then check out the cover. It should be of interest to me as to inspire me more with the book. Oh, the quality is also important. Must not easily be torn apart. It's infuriating being engrossed in reading and upon turning the page, it comes off. I don't care much about the author when shopping for books, not unless my purpose is to buy with a particular author/authors in mind.
" HAPPINESS is finding PEACE within yourself! " :D
LadyLynn
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladylynn.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by LadyLynn »

It's really a combination for me. The summary is what draws me in but I also open up the book and read a paragraph or two on a page. If I can't get down with the writing style then I put it back down.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
IsabelMay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3761
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isabelmay.html
Latest Review: "Anna's Journey" by Gerald Miller

Post by IsabelMay »

Cover, author and the title are all very important to me when I choose the next book to read. I first look at the cover, if it's captivating enough, then I read the summary. Author isn't relevant unless I already read something he/she wrote. If it's one of my favorite authors, I'm more likely to give it a try than if I didn't like their books. Titles aren't really something that would influence my decision, but sometimes they are catchy. Another thing that helps is the sample or a free copy of the first book in a series.
Latest Review: "Anna's Journey" by Gerald Miller
SilviaP21
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silviap21.html
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka

Post by SilviaP21 »

I realized I tend to choose books based on the cover and title. These things get my attention right away. And usually I make the right choice. But I also had a few surprises when the title was not too catchy and the cover had nothing impressive about it but the book was amazing.
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka
Pm7lucas
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pm7lucas.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
Reading Device: 1400699169

Post by Pm7lucas »

A title or awesome cover may catch my attention, but the summary is what I use to decide if I want to read the book or not. An author I like will also figure into the equation.

Paula :D
"I think therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

ZenaLei7 wrote:I usually look at the summary when I'm choosing a book to read. The cover often helps me to decide, but I usually don't decide based only on the cover.
Same here. I also look at reviews of those that I've found similar to my own reactions to a book in the past.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Shireks Nancy
Currently Reading: My Trip to Adele
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shireks-nancy.html
Latest Review: "Can I Be Frank?" by Rob Wyatt

Post by Shireks Nancy »

I must admit I get swayed by the title, then the cover, but the author has never influenced my choice of book.
Latest Review: "Can I Be Frank?" by Rob Wyatt
tarafarah7
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1437
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

I'm always the odd man out! I know we aren't supposed to jusdge a book by its cover, but I am 100% guilty of doing so! The cover determines if I pick up a book...or not. If it doesn't look interesting, it won't catch my eye, and chances are I'll pass by it. It will sit on the shelf unnoticed. But...unnoticed just by me. That doesn't mean the next person to come along will feel the same. We all have different likes and interests, and our uniqueness is what makes the world go around! :-) Great question!
MsDree
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 268
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msdree.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by MsDree »

The title → The book cover → The blurb → The Author. This is me on my search of new books.

Unless its from my favorite author, it'll go on reverse. Or if i just want to spent money for book but got no feeling to really look for one.. I'll just grab whatever but so far, I'm not disappointed by my hands' choices.
"A book, too, can be a star, a living fire to lighten the darkness, leading out into the expanding universe." — Madeline L'Engle
Harmony Hills
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0734">Anne of Green Gables</a>
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harmony-hills.html
Latest Review: "Alba" by B. E. Okoh

Post by Harmony Hills »

I have this collection of books written by one author. Whenever i enter a bookstore i'd tell my sister, "Go find her." :D Other than that, i read the summary.
“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
Latest Review: "Alba" by B. E. Okoh
ritah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03345">The Darziods' Stone</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ritah.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by ritah »

The cover is what I notice first of course, second I notice the author but what really sells a book to me is the summary/ description.
hazelk
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by hazelk »

First the author usually catches my eye then title and size (not too thick). The cover comes last as the books that I browze thru are usually displayed spines only.
MoseyProse
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moseyprose.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by MoseyProse »

I am always on the look out for books with unusual covers/ titles! Those are the ones that often catch my eye and get me reading.

I might even take a peek at the summary or read a few sentences inside to see if it's worth my time.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
Amna Khalid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amna-khalid.html
Latest Review: Duplicity by Fin C Gray

Post by Amna Khalid »

I judge a book by reading the title and especially the description at the back of the book.
Amna Khalid
Rosemary Owolabi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-owolabi.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Rosemary Owolabi »

I judge a book by the over, I wouldn't even lie, if it doesn't speaks to me, I wouldn't buy it. I have to be convinced by looking at the book, title and quality of the book that it is worth buying.
If you are having a bad day, let people see that you are having a good day...Spread good vibes, people are going through a lot already. :tiphat:

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”