JUDGE A BOOK: by cover,author, title?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
ayomide7
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayomide7.html
Latest Review: "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer, R.I.Alyaseer

Icon JUDGE A BOOK: by cover,author, title?

Post by ayomide7 »

When youre shopping for that one book to replace the one you just finished ...........................(or the collection) haha! :doh:

Does the title captivate you? :shock:
Or is it that well known author? :mrgreen:
Or......... that couple sexily posing on the cover? :|

Maybe you're simply that person who will try any book :techie-reference:
AND I MEAN ANY!!

Like a book with a kid merely sitting by a tree
Or a cyborg in the prehistoric era? :roll:

ANY!! (Ps..........I'M THAT PERSON)

Oh wait!..............I FORGOT THE SUMMARY :shock:

DUH! :oops:

So for me its the summary

YOU?
Latest Review: "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer, R.I.Alyaseer
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenalei7.html
Latest Review: Christmas in the Kingdom of Kool by Joan J. Harris

Post by Azeline Arcenal »

I usually look at the summary when I'm choosing a book to read. The cover often helps me to decide, but I usually don't decide based only on the cover.
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I have favorite authors so I usually get their books. Otherwise, I go to the bestsellers and check the synopses. Now that I am part of this site, I choose the books that have good reviews. I've not been disappointed so far.
felixadehor
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by felixadehor »

I have authors of my choice, but in some cases I choose by the title and cover. through this I have known new good authors.

-- 20 May 2017, 05:30 --

I have authors of my choice, but in some cases I choose by the title and cover. through this I have known new good authors.
gurpreetkaur
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
fav_author_id: 26410

Post by gurpreetkaur »

I always choose book by title and I always trying to read short content of a book. After that I have decided that I can take it or not. Thanks.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

When it comes to C.S Lewis - I choose the book because of the author - love his work.
My public library was giving away books and I choose books based on their cover and name
I choose not to read erotica so books with steamy romance pics are always a turn off for me.
BookishBookkeeping
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Atlas Shrugged
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishbookkeeping.html
Latest Review: "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by BookishBookkeeping »

Mostly I judge first by author since it says something about the book but then I judge by cover. Covers are helpful especially when you're trying to avoid romance ones. But usually the author helps me know enough because the old saying still rings true about judging by the cover. To often I've been wrong about what the book was about simply by looking at the cover.
Latest Review: "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman
jemgirl202
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 870
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemgirl202.html
Latest Review: My Angel My Hero by Brenda E. Mcdaniel

Post by jemgirl202 »

It is all of the above for me. As I look through the shelves, if an author catches me eye I will then look at the cover then the summary on the back. But if I am looking in a section where there are no familiar authors (rare) then I look for titles that catch my eye then go through the same process. Book hunting is one of my favorite things!
EMoffat
Currently Reading: Norse Mythology
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emoffat.html
Latest Review: A Life In Waiting by Katrina Benson

Post by EMoffat »

I will try any book!! I actually find it quite exciting to pick a book at random, or because of its cover and then read it without reading the summary. I've read good and bad books this way - but always an adventure!
cstegmil
Currently Reading: Raven's Fall
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cstegmil.html
Latest Review: "Of Elven Blood" by Leslie Fish

Post by cstegmil »

A good cover will entice me to take a look at a book. Then I read the summary, and if that interests me, I next look through the ratings/reviews. Often I get helpful information such as if this is the first book in a series, etc.
Latest Review: "Of Elven Blood" by Leslie Fish
latesummer
Favorite Author: Suzanne Collins
Favorite Book: The Hunger Games
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-latesummer.html
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
fav_author_id: 2536

Post by latesummer »

I often judge books by their cover. There's just something about a beautiful cover that draws you in. I'm sure most readers agree. However, I've often picked up books at garage sales that didn't have dust jackets simply because their titles drew me in. 99% of the time, it's one of those 2. Strangely, it's rare that a synopsis makes the decision for me! I suppose this is because I'll read just about anything I can get my hands on. I like to go in blind a lot.
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
Storygamer88
Currently Reading: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Bookshelf Size: 365
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-storygamer88.html
Latest Review: "A Town Called Gonefor" by Wesley Cris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Storygamer88 »

I usually find books based on word of mouth or Goodread reviews/ratings, so I use those the most. A good cover will attract my eye in stores though, and a good description makes me more likely to start reading.
Hi all. I like board games, card games, video games, books (especially children's books and mysteries), stories, cartoons, anime, manga, light novels, animation, and other light-hearted, fun things. Feel free to message if you want to chat!
Latest Review: "A Town Called Gonefor" by Wesley Cris
holika
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by holika »

I choose books by reading the summary but the title is what gets me excited. Although the book should not be judged by its cover but I guess I am a little hypocrite.
Ssinghal
Bookshelf Size: 1113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ssinghal.html
Latest Review: "Call Me Pomeroy" by James Hanna

Post by Ssinghal »

I usually only buy books of the authors I'm familiar with or those who have been recommended to me. Otherwise, generally, it is the title that captures my attention and then I decide whether to buy the book or not based on its summary.
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one...
-George RR Martin
Latest Review: "Call Me Pomeroy" by James Hanna
sophiemer642
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 97930">The Popularity Papers (The Popularity Papers #1)</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114

Post by sophiemer642 »

You should never judge a book by its cover. Many books many appear to be dull by the cover, but may be the best story you have ever read. You may be able to get an idea of the story if you are familiar with the author and their writing style. Same goes to the title. You may be able to get an idea of what the book is about from the title.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”