Book hoarding

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Jolyon Trevelyan
Favorite Author: Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Bookshelf Size: 10
fav_author_id: 2563

Book hoarding

Post by Jolyon Trevelyan »

How many books would you say a person has to have before you can say he or she is hoarding books ?
A mistake is simply another way of doing things
interrupted_girl
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by interrupted_girl »

Great topic?!
I believe, it's not how many but how many books have you stacked up and not yet read! I am guilty of this, lol. Just last month I realized that I have 10 novels in my bookshelf that I haven't read. I have been going to the library and borrowing book. Because it has a deadline, I finish it promptly and the cycle has continued. So, I am on my first of ten( hoarded)! Ha ha ha.
Thank you?
hazelk
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by hazelk »

I do not call it hoarding I would rather say collected!!
thecrescendo
Currently Reading: The Mystery Of Flight 2222
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thecrescendo.html

Post by thecrescendo »

I also think it's not how many books you own but how many you haven't read yet. Out of all the books I own, I probably haven't even read a quarter of them and I still buy at least one everytime I go out. I am definitely a hoarder
Christina O Phillips
Currently Reading: Oz
Bookshelf Size: 1326
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-o-phillips.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Christina O Phillips »

I think I may be a borderline hoarder by these definitions!
Beautyandtheblog
Currently Reading: The Silence of the Lambs
Bookshelf Size: 346
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beautyandtheblog.html
Latest Review: "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Beautyandtheblog »

I honestly don’t think it has as much to do with how many you have, or how many you have and haven’t read, as much as it does how many you refuse to give up! I know I am definitely a hoarder who tries to pass myself off as a collector. I buy as many ebooks and paper books as I can (because I WILL read them one day….I promise) and never give them up when I’m don’t with them. Even if I have more than one copy for some reason or didn’t care for the book. I think that is what makes a hoarder, lol.
Latest Review: "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann
queeennnkatie
Currently Reading: Bared to You
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-queeennnkatie.html

Post by queeennnkatie »

One can never hoard books.
Books are a treasure just waiting to be opened. Doesn't matter how many books you have, you'll never have a book problem ;)
"Sometimes you lose a battle. But mischief always wins the war."
- John Green, Looking for Alaska
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I would say you are a book hoarder when you no longer have the space to contain them. So, with the advent of the e-book, nobody should be guilty of book hoarding.
SparklingOne
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: A Breath of Snow and Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparklingone.html
Latest Review: "I AM GOD" by Shawn Dall
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by SparklingOne »

Your topic has made me think of all the books I have on my Kindle that I hope to read someday still. I've been buying new and replacing paper book copies with digital versions since 2009. Thankfully they all fit in my device or on the cloud, so I think the only thing saving me from from being a book hoarder is that slim little device.
Our lives are defined by opportunities, even the ones we miss.
The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button by F. Scott Fitzgerald.
Latest Review: "I AM GOD" by Shawn Dall
IsabelMay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3761
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isabelmay.html
Latest Review: "Anna's Journey" by Gerald Miller

Post by IsabelMay »

I wouldn't exactly use that word, but I guess it would be more than around 150. Especially for those who love series of books, it's easy to collect more than 100. When we add stand alones and others, the number can get pretty big in no time at all. As for digital books, I'd raise it for at least a hundred more (250) as they are cheaper and don't take up any space so it's easier to collect them.
Latest Review: "Anna's Journey" by Gerald Miller
Baxdax
Currently Reading: The 11.05 Murders
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Baxdax »

I think 20
riazziea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riazziea.html
Latest Review: "End of the Last Great Kingdom (The Brimstone Chronicles Book 1)" by Victor Rose
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by riazziea »

I have to agree with almost all of you. And I say almost because 20 books is like maybe a series! Just kidding. But it's a combination of not reading books you already have plus not getting rid of ones you've already read and don't plan on reading ever again. You tell yourself that you will read them again, but in the back of your mind you know you won't. My family is getting ready for a garage sale and I won't get rid of any of my books.... even the ones I know I won't read again... so I know I'm a hoarder. I guess first step to recovery is acceptance. Except this is something I do t want to recover from! Ha!
Latest Review: "End of the Last Great Kingdom (The Brimstone Chronicles Book 1)" by Victor Rose
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

I'm really guilty for this. I will very rarely read a book twice, so it's strange that I have an issue with keeping them for so long. There's this book store near my house that takes them in and gives store credit, which is what I usually end up doing, but then I just come home with about the same amount of books. It's a never ending cycle. Ha.
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
vaz222
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vaz222.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by vaz222 »

I think hoarding is when you have hundreds.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
Lildivadesi
Currently Reading: The Seven Deadly Sins of Psychology
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lildivadesi.html
Latest Review: "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley

Post by Lildivadesi »

I cannot ever think of it as hoarding books, just collecting them lol. Books are one of those things that if I see all around someone's house I wouldn't think of it as them cluttering their house or anything, I would just think of it as fascinating to see the different genres they have. I hope one day to have a house with an extensive library in it, but unfortunately for right now my small apartment may look like I am a hoarder when it comes to books, luckily I now have a kindle so that I can reduce the number of physical books I buy.
Latest Review: "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”