Book hoarding

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Camille Turner
Currently Reading: Angela's Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camille-turner.html
Latest Review: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin: The Sedes Infernum by C.S. Colvin

Re: Book hoarding

Post by Camille Turner »

I can't ever call it hoarding when it comes to books. A billion? Not enough. Perhaps I am a "book hoarder" myself, though, and am simply in denial... ;)
sarah92480
Favorite Author: Kim Harrison
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah92480.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 4193

Post by sarah92480 »

I don't understand the question. :wink: I don't think you can ever have enough books! :D
toribyers13
Currently Reading: A Clash of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-toribyers13.html
Latest Review: What the River Wants by Arthur Byrd

Post by toribyers13 »

I agree with what some of the other comments have said, it depends on how many you haven't read yet! I have a ton of books, and I'd say I haven't started at least 25% of those. Yet I still want to go to the bookstore to find more... I'd say I qualify as a hoarder. Also, I think it could depend on the storage space a person has. If someone has a library room with an array of bookshelves in their house (goals), then they would obviously need more books to fill it up! (Honestly I think I brought that point up because it's my goal in life).
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

I have thousands of ebooks on my kindle, and like 400 physical books. But all my books can fit in a small area. Hoarding is subjective. I only still own a lot of my physical books because I have not read them yet.
KasieMiehlke
Currently Reading: The Hidden Village
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasiemiehlke.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by KasieMiehlke »

Lildivadesi wrote: 07 Dec 2017, 01:35 I cannot ever think of it as hoarding books, just collecting them lol. Books are one of those things that if I see all around someone's house I wouldn't think of it as them cluttering their house or anything, I would just think of it as fascinating to see the different genres they have. I hope one day to have a house with an extensive library in it, but unfortunately for right now my small apartment may look like I am a hoarder when it comes to books, luckily I now have a kindle so that I can reduce the number of physical books I buy.
I can't consider it hoarding either.
Mabel6
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mabel6.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Mabel6 »

I personally don't like to hoard books but I can understand why people like to. My mom and sisters hoard books but I try to avoid it myself because I don't have a lot of space and they end up collecting dust since I rarely will re-read books when I rather read new ones (there's so many out there I want to read!).
jvez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jvez.html
Latest Review: The Providence of Fortune by T. K. Love

Post by jvez »

I don't think there needs to be a limit to how many books you can have :) What's important is that you do read them or at least plan to. If you're purchasing books just for shelf display then that's definitely a problem.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

Guilty of hoarding, but thankfully not printed books, otherwise I would have been thrown out from my house. I have lots and lots of ebooks in my laptop and my kindle app, all of which I hope to read someday. Oh yes, there are some printed books as well which I am saving (well, hoarding, if you must!) for those days when I might not be able to read ebooks due to power cuts or something! Yet this never-ending 'to read' list does not stop me from browsing new books and downloading/buying/collecting them. You realize why I don't want to put a number? Because if I do that, I would probably be considered a 'level 100 hoarder', judging by my own scale! :oops: :oops2:
car-mbz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-car-mbz.html
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo

Post by car-mbz »

I think book hoarding comes when you just buy books and don't read them. I think I am a book collector since I read most books that I buy.
"Today a reader, tomorrow a leader." Margaret Fuller
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo
urrutiap
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by urrutiap »

i have books crammed into two storage boxes. Plus my old bookshelf is getting full. But I dont consider to be a book "hoarder" since I do read my books and enjoy them. Also i give away books to the thrift store since I know what books that I wont read anymore anyway so im really not a "hoarder"

Movies though i tend to get carried away lol. i have like 3 tubs full of movies and have movies on top of the lids of the tubs and even movies on the floor next to my bookshelf.
Holly Fleming
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holly-fleming.html
Latest Review: Beyond by Ruth Mitchell

Post by Holly Fleming »

It's difficult to give a specific number, but I know I've been hoarding books when I don't want to let go of duplicates and books that I didn't particularly like.
Eclecticmama
Favorite Author: Patricia Briggs
Currently Reading: Chasing Fireflies
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eclecticmama.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S
fav_author_id: 4314

Post by Eclecticmama »

I used to keep all of my physical books until I got married and had to move. I had multiple boxes just for books that I knew I would never read again. Since then I've mostly transitioned to ebooks. Those weigh so much less than physical books, lol.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”