What does everyone think of the Twilight Saga?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Re: What does everyone think of the Twilight Saga?

Post by ALynnPowers »

I will deny it if anyone ever asks, but I secretly kind of enjoyed it. Only because I kind of hate vampires, but these vampires were at least a little bit unique, regardless of how lame it was. I like lame things.
Himmelslicht
Favorite Author: Gabriel. G. Marquez
Favorite Book: One Hundred Years of Solitude
Currently Reading: Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-himmelslicht.html

Post by Himmelslicht »

Okay I will be killed for this but it shows how much a girl can feel dependent on a guy to have a normal, enjoyable life.
Nuh-uh, not healthy.
"Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world."
- Gustave Flaubert
Janiac02
Favorite Author: Sarah Woodbury
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: After Cilmeri Series
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janiac02.html
Latest Review: "A Cold Wind" by C. J. Brightley
fav_author_id: 3314

Post by Janiac02 »

I liked the series despite being annoyed by the choices some of the characters made. I enjoyed the writing style and the world that Stephenie Meyer created. Without focusing on the irrational and unhealthy behavior, I believe many people enjoy the idea of fate/destiny leading them to greater things. I think the story is less about an ordinary girl being distinguished by a beautiful boy, and more about a girl who never felt like she fit in finding the place where she belongs.

In line with that thought, while I don't like that Bella goes completely blank for months after Edward leaves her, I think the point Meyer is illustrating is that neither of them can be without the other. She isn't a normal girl with an ordinary boyfriend, she is in a vampire relationship, and most of them have one mate for life. She still fights for her friendship with Jacob, the things she wants from their relationship, and her child.

So anyway, forgive the mini-dissertation. I understand why so many people find fault with the story, or the writing. Sometimes I just feel people like to jump on the Twilight-hating band wagon, without considering more than the central relationship in the story. They aren't my very favorite books, but that world is one of my favorite to escape to :)
Latest Review: "A Cold Wind" by C. J. Brightley
krisliz88
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Heartsick
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krisliz88.html
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by krisliz88 »

I think that I was 19 when I read the first Twilight book and I flew through it. If you think about it, though, Bella was a teenage girl who was a little bit younger than myself at the time so I felt that I could relate to her a little bit more. I thought that it was an interesting story and I don't regret reading them. If anything I regret watching the movies that followed as Kristin Stewart was nothing like the Bella that I had in my mind. The only thing that I really disliked about the book was in the last book when the point of view switched back and forth from Bella to Jacob and back again. I understand what the author was trying to do but honestly it just annoyed my more than anything.

Now that I am 26 I don't know if I would be so inclined to pick up a book like Twilight, but I am happy to say that I read the series.
fifthmayfly
Favorite Author: Rick Yancey
Favorite Book: The Hot Zone and Divergent Series
Currently Reading: The Wolf Princess
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fifthmayfly.html
fav_author_id: 3497

Post by fifthmayfly »

Nice plot, it was original at the time, but I'd never pick them up again now. I didn't think she wrote all that well, in my opinion.
Noeld
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noeld.html

Post by Noeld »

I really liked this series despite it being something that I wouldn't typically read. I read it just after it stopped being hugely popular. I would not have read it at all if it hadn't been given to me by my neighbor. I didn't have anything better to do, so I read them and really liked them. I mainly reread them at night when I can't sleep because I usually have a scarier book that certainly won't help me fall a sleep. I usually just flip to my favorite chapters. Some of the characters do make stupid decisions and I get pretty frustrated when they say stupid things, but it was more or less a pretty good series.
Revital
Favorite Author: Terry Pratchett
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revital.html
fav_author_id: 2791

Post by Revital »

I liked it. It wasn't so bad I think people reading Twilight should stop reading it so seriously and just enjoy it.
sheka369
Favorite Author: Rick Yancey
Currently Reading: Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheka369.html
fav_author_id: 3497

Post by sheka369 »

I'm writing this before I read all the replies on this forum topic so as to not obscure my opinion on the Twilight saga by Stephenie Meyer. Well, first of all, the twilight series was about everything everyone talked about when I was growing up and so of course as a subject of influence I immediately fell into the mania. The sensationalism surrounding the books, I believe, sometimes turns some people off. But I was not fazed since I was always pleased by reading but I suppose it never truly became a hobby until I read the Twilight saga, that's when I fell in love with reading. The Twilight books are not an ingenious literary phenomena with the utmost profound messages, yet beyond all the teenage melodramaticism, I must admit that they are great books. The plot, the characters, the entire world of Twilight is designed to appeal to a certain audience, specifically to meet the expectations of teenage girls, mothers, and so on. They are easy to read so as to allow young audiences to visualize and interpret the story. And so all these contributing factors may not suit every reader; so my advice is to just discard any negativity and allow everyone to like/dislike whichever books they please to because everyone has different perspectives just as this is mine. In retrospect, the books act a great primer to the wonderful world of reading, and I know many of whom were introduced to reading as a hobby by the Twilight Saga.
colemaba
Favorite Author: I can never decide
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 21844">the hinger games</a>
Currently Reading: Enders Game
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-colemaba.html
Latest Review: "Angel of Destiny" by T.L.Adams

Post by colemaba »

I read them when I was young, so I loved them! I didn't notice if her writing style was bad or not. I did think it was a great story line though.
Latest Review: "Angel of Destiny" by T.L.Adams
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

I just absolutely loved the atmosphere of the first one. After that, it fell apart for me. Separating the two romantic leads at the top of #2 was just a bad move that didn't make sense and ruined the whole point of it. But, ohhhhhh I loved the first one, almost enough to want to reread it. (I have a hard time rereading anything.)
Katygalloway
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katygalloway.html

Post by Katygalloway »

I liked it when I read it at 13 and I think the story is okay and the writing is horrible but it is not anywhere near the league of Harry potter which is simply amazing!
Lei101

Post by Lei101 »

Personally, I don't like it. I couldn't even finish the book because it was so boring. In most cases the book is better than the movie but in this case it is vice versa.
10-cat-mom
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-10-cat-mom.html

Post by 10-cat-mom »

I love them!!! The movies were okay but I'm a huge bookworm. This was the last books I bought before getting a kindle. Since then I'm HOOKED on e-readers/tablets.
BookSnob

Post by BookSnob »

I needed a lot of time to be convinced to read the books. I vaguely remember a friend telling me about them with such an enthusiasm that I figured I'd give them a shot. (This was before the movies, imagine that!) It was a pleasant read, if very simple and an overused romance story, and I started to loathe the main characters early on, which doesn't really sound positive. But somehow I didn't find them terrible, and managed to read all of them without any major problems. Except when Bella had that ridiculous break-down, and the pathetic plot of the last book. Haha, somehow it doesn't seem like I didn't find them terrible with what I've written so far, but this is ages ago, and I can't really remember much of my first impressions except that. It was an easy read, and you tend to float through that, and never think of anything. These are books you want to read when you reaaaally don't want to think. And that can at times be wonderful.
Then the movies came, and all the hysteria came, and I went nuts with how many thought they were wonderful, and the movies superb, and everyone thought the actors were fabulous. I couldn't agree less. At that time I disliked all of it intensely. The movies were terrible, the plot pathetic, and I felt bad for all the teenage-girls caught up in the hype. Haha! I think I disliked it so much just because of that.
Then I decided to give it a go again, surely it couldn't be too bad, my first read was after all quite alright. But oh boy. Two or three years had passed by, and I was now well versed within the book universe. I managed to read about five pages before I threw the book against the wall. It was that bad. The writing is so simple that any teenager with an autocorrector could have managed about the same or even better. I reckon there are some fourteen year old geniouses out there who would with ease create something better. As I said, the plot was awful, the writing choppy and repetitive, and I will never again open a book from the series.
They are aimed at young girls with fantasies about vampires and everlasting love, which I think she nailed. So there you go. Have a fun read!
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Huh. I always wondered why Stephen King criticized her writing, and maybe that explains it.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”