What does everyone think of the Twilight Saga?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
bianxox
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re:

Post by bianxox »

speechless wrote:I think the Twilight series is horrible. It's like a soap opera: it sucks you in, and as soon as the episode is over, you wonder why you wasted your time because you already knew it was going to suck.

Seriously...it's a soap opera in book form. No one needs to hear that Edward is beautiful ten times in one chapter. Plus, I don't think it provides a good model for young girls. Bella is a typical Victorian-era girl, despite the fact that it's the 21st century. She stumbles, she faints, she's rescued by the man. The getting rescued isn't the problem; the problem is how completely dependent she is on him. She practically goes into a coma when her boyfriend leaves. That, and he stalks her, forbids her from seeing people, and generally bosses her around. And she just goes along with it because she LOVES him. It's painful to read.
I totally share your opinion speechless, the books are a bit thicker than necessary..
BobGrant

Post by BobGrant »

Kept myself out of it to be honest though my girls seem to like it. Not sure what there is to like but glad I haven't spent any time on it.
raindropwriter
Favorite Author: Sophie Kinsella
Favorite Book: Twenties Girl
Currently Reading: Strugling for Justice
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raindropwriter.html
Latest Review: "A Happy Accident" by Evan Tyler
fav_author_id: 2960

Post by raindropwriter »

Twilight Saga is something I would keep on hearing about for ages but I would never read it. :lol:
Latest Review: "A Happy Accident" by Evan Tyler
suzy1124

Post by suzy1124 »

Twilight WHO?... :roll:
" We don't see things as they are but as we are "

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
RebekaV
Favorite Author: J K Rowling
Favorite Book: Jane Eyre
Currently Reading: Guardian of Deceit
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebekav.html
Latest Review: "Memories from the Front Line" by Henry Chew, Neil Jopson

Post by RebekaV »

I hated it. I read all 4 books, watched 3 movies and I don't know what the buzz is all about. I read it because a friend who hates reading was devouring it, but I have been a bookworm since the age of 7 and I couldn't get through them. I think they are cliche and horrible and not only that but not really well-written either.
"What's coming will come and we'll just have to meet it when it does." - J K Rowling
Latest Review: "Memories from the Front Line" by Henry Chew, Neil Jopson
ribbons and roses
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ribbons-and-roses.html

Post by ribbons and roses »

I didn't like it. Not original at all. No creativity whatsoever. The handsome and perfect boy falls in love with the awkward new girl. It was kind of expected.
LSWS07
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lsws07.html
Latest Review: "Out of the Shadows and into the Darkness" by Senta Holland

Post by LSWS07 »

I've only read the 2nd one, but I found it a chore to get through. I didn't think it was fun or imaginative, or much of anything rally, except an experience in time-wasting.
Latest Review: "Out of the Shadows and into the Darkness" by Senta Holland
hareid03
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hareid03.html

Post by hareid03 »

To be perfectly honest, when I first read Twilight I was in middle school and I thought it was absolutely amazing. There was so much talk going on about it that I absolutely had to read it and it was just really great to me, I thought vampires were so cool and this was one of my first experiences reading a book with vampires in it that was actually a more "grown up" book that I thought at the time. When the movies came out I saw them and was so excited by all of it, I was obsessed with the idea of being a vampire and living forever and whatnot. Now that I've reread and am older, I can recognize that it's not actually written that well and the characters are rather flat,but I still enjoy the story, or the point of it anyway. Mostly because of attached emotions I have to it from when I was younger. Whenever I'm upset Twilight is still my go to movie or book, depending on what I'm feeling up to.
lovablegeek123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lovablegeek123.html

Post by lovablegeek123 »

Nope. I read them in a dark place in my life and I thought I liked them. I read them all. When I was out of my dark place I reread them and I just hated it. Never again....And I'll also say that when you go to a used bookstore, you'll see that most of those books have been left there. HA!
Aspen_Reads
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice+ The Notebook
Currently Reading: too many to count
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aspen-reads.html
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Aspen_Reads »

The storyline was good, writing was mediocre. I must say that this is a series that I liked the movies more than the books, unfortunately. I just think that there could have been better execution. I really just think that she didn't go about writing a young adult series in the right way, and I think that she could have done a heck of a lot better, in that respect.
"I was born with a reading list I will never finish." -Maud Casey
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Honestly, I didn't care for it. I don't know why--the story just didn't grab me for some reason. Plus Bella got on my nerves!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
mayaamayy
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayaamayy.html

Post by mayaamayy »

I liked them when I read them years ago, but not anymore.
mmalnar

Post by mmalnar »

I enjoyed the Twilight series. I do feel that Bella's character could have been a little more complex. She was very bland and boring. I also feel as most people do that the movies did not live up to the books. I haven't really seen a movie that could compete with the reading of the story. When reading a book you use your own imagination to set up the story and a movie will never compare to what you can imagine in your own minds eye.
Hadiqa
Favorite Author: Infinite
Favorite Book: Hundreds
Currently Reading: How The Wolf Lost Her Heart by Sarah
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hadiqa.html

Post by Hadiqa »

I don't like it :/
“We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master.”
—Ernest Hemingway

Reading Now:
Nothing -_- Because of School
MaragothThorn
Favorite Author: GK Chesterton
Favorite Book: Father Elijah by Michael D. OBrien
Currently Reading: Skin by Ted Dekker
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maragoththorn.html
Latest Review: "Bad Endings" by David Bussell

Post by MaragothThorn »

I read better things than the Twilight Saga, of which craze I'm glad is dying down and no more girls are breaking up their friendships over Team Edward/Team Jacob feuds.
Latest Review: "Bad Endings" by David Bussell

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”