What does everyone think of the Twilight Saga?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
AcousticHarriet
Bookshelf Size: 0

What does everyone think of the Twilight Saga?

Post by AcousticHarriet »

I've read all four books, and personally i think they are amazing. But i'm getting mixed views from all my friends. What do you guys think?
Bowlie

Post by Bowlie »

I think the story was good, but the writing was terrible! I got the feeling that a 14 year old was writing the story. Myers overuses phrases like, "...there's just no other way to say it..."

I'm paraphrasing, but I remember multiple times she said something like, "He was so beautiful. There was no other way to say it. He was beautiful." It got really old really fast and showed what a limited vocabulary she had.

Still, I found the story pretty engrossing overall. A lot of people put it in league with Harry Potter, but I don't think it even comes close. I enjoyed it for what it was, but I wouldn't read it again.
faustinblack

Post by faustinblack »

I liked it for the most part, the writing didn't bother me. But its the fans that drive me crazy. Every where I go there is Twilight crap. Enough is enough, lets move on.
texascat

Post by texascat »

Boring. I read the first book and was really looking forward to it but absolutely nothing happened until the last 100 pages or so and then it was wraped up to quickly. Maybe I missed something but I wont be reading te rest of the series. Quite disappointed because I love fantasy etc.
Kitten

Post by Kitten »

I listened to the series on audiobook and quite enjoyed it. (maybe because I didnt have to put in the effort of reading it)

I agree with Bowlie about the repetition, by the end of the series it was like "alright we get it, he is beautiful and you are confused"

Overall I liked it though, I'm a sucker for happily ever after.
akl

Post by akl »

I thought they were very entertaining.
People have to remember that these books were written for adolescents, so the writing isn't going to meet an avid adult reader's expectations. However, if you read The Host by S. Meyer the writing style is very mature... since it is an adult novel.
prettyvicky

Post by prettyvicky »

the book seems to be ok. it's the movie that makes it overrated.
Bowlie

Post by Bowlie »

prettyvicky wrote:it's the movie that makes it overrated.
The movie was HORRIBLE! The screenplay, directing, and acting were all atrocious! I completely agree with you prettyvicky! I am not sure why people love Robert Pattinson so much (or Kristen Stewart although I don't think people have the love affair with her that they do with Pattinson).
cascol

Post by cascol »

i just read twilight and i thought it was pretty good. i heard the sequel is not worth it though. i haven't seen the movie but i don't intend to..
atrixa

Post by atrixa »

texascat wrote:Boring. I read the first book and was really looking forward to it but absolutely nothing happened until the last 100 pages or so and then it was wraped up to quickly. Maybe I missed something but I wont be reading te rest of the series. Quite disappointed because I love fantasy etc.
I agree. The only bit of suspense there was, was the part where Bella was trying to figure out what Edward was. Totally pointless for us readers, as it's written on the blurb. It was full of cliches and repetitive descriptions. You do tend to get sick of hearing about Bella's car.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

Groucho Marx
US comedian with Marx Brothers (1890 - 1977)
09booklover

Post by 09booklover »

I think the books are quite good, but overhyped, to be honest.

What I am happy about is the fact that like Harry Potter, these books have gotten people who don't normally read, especially teenagers, to read! Any book(s) that can do that are great as far as I'm concerned!
akl

Post by akl »

09booklover wrote:I think the books are quite good, but overhyped, to be honest.

What I am happy about is the fact that like Harry Potter, these books have gotten people who don't normally read, especially teenagers, to read! Any book(s) that can do that are great as far as I'm concerned!
I agree!!!
Phobophobia

Post by Phobophobia »

Bowlie wrote:I think the story was good, but the writing was terrible! I got the feeling that a 14 year old was writing the story. Myers overuses phrases like, "...there's just no other way to say it..."

I'm paraphrasing, but I remember multiple times she said something like, "He was so beautiful. There was no other way to say it. He was beautiful." It got really old really fast and showed what a limited vocabulary she had.

Still, I found the story pretty engrossing overall. A lot of people put it in league with Harry Potter, but I don't think it even comes close. I enjoyed it for what it was, but I wouldn't read it again.
Well said. I agree.
sweetharleygirl

Post by sweetharleygirl »

I liked the Twilight books very much, although after reading adult vampire series they're a little tame, but they are for young adults after all. I haven't seen the movie yet but I expect it not to be as good as the book, they very rarely are, but still look forward to seeing it. For teens especially I think it's a good read.
speechless

Post by speechless »

I think the Twilight series is horrible. It's like a soap opera: it sucks you in, and as soon as the episode is over, you wonder why you wasted your time because you already knew it was going to suck.

Seriously...it's a soap opera in book form. No one needs to hear that Edward is beautiful ten times in one chapter. Plus, I don't think it provides a good model for young girls. Bella is a typical Victorian-era girl, despite the fact that it's the 21st century. She stumbles, she faints, she's rescued by the man. The getting rescued isn't the problem; the problem is how completely dependent she is on him. She practically goes into a coma when her boyfriend leaves. That, and he stalks her, forbids her from seeing people, and generally bosses her around. And she just goes along with it because she LOVES him. It's painful to read.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”