Trouble Finishing Trilogies

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Ajgird
Currently Reading: Eclipse
Bookshelf Size: 31

Trouble Finishing Trilogies

Post by Ajgird »

I always have a hard time finishing trilogies. I have tried reading several trilogies and I read the first two but then I tend to lose interest and don't bother finishing the third one.
Does anyone else have this problem?
SparklingOne
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: A Breath of Snow and Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparklingone.html
Latest Review: "I AM GOD" by Shawn Dall
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by SparklingOne »

Only if I make the mistake of starting the series before the author has finished writing it. If I'm dealing with a series, and have all the books I will keep powering through until I finish. I may have some side reads going at the same time though.
Our lives are defined by opportunities, even the ones we miss.
The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button by F. Scott Fitzgerald.
Latest Review: "I AM GOD" by Shawn Dall
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

SparklingOne wrote:Only if I make the mistake of starting the series before the author has finished writing it.
That's why I usually avoid unfinished series and wait until they're done to start reading them. By the time the next one comes out you'd have to re-read the last one anyway to "get back in the groove" or loose that sense of connectivity. But to answer the OP's question - no. If I made it through the first one without quitting then I like the story and characters enough to keep on reading.
Storygamer88
Currently Reading: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Bookshelf Size: 365
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-storygamer88.html
Latest Review: "A Town Called Gonefor" by Wesley Cris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Storygamer88 »

I think the issue is author's aren't all great at maintaining consistency across world over the years, ala Hunger Games and Inkheart, etc. Even world like HP, while popular, feel very different and sometimes have plot issues due to other books in the series
Hi all. I like board games, card games, video games, books (especially children's books and mysteries), stories, cartoons, anime, manga, light novels, animation, and other light-hearted, fun things. Feel free to message if you want to chat!
Latest Review: "A Town Called Gonefor" by Wesley Cris
Mary Garrison
Currently Reading: The Hiding Place
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-garrison.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Mary Garrison »

I normally want more so I'm happy to start the third one.
nfdaniel85
Currently Reading: A Sick Life
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nfdaniel85.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by nfdaniel85 »

AliceofX wrote: 31 Mar 2017, 10:33
SparklingOne wrote:Only if I make the mistake of starting the series before the author has finished writing it.
That's why I usually avoid unfinished series and wait until they're done to start reading them. By the time the next one comes out you'd have to re-read the last one anyway to "get back in the groove" or loose that sense of connectivity. But to answer the OP's question - no. If I made it through the first one without quitting then I like the story and characters enough to keep on reading.
Depending on the author, I won't start until they're all out too. I have had the tricky author who has said the series was a trilogy, but then changed their minds, uggg.

As far as not being able to pick up the book, are they all the same author or genre? I really enjoy Jeff Wheeler. He only writes almost exclusively in trilogies. I love his stories. They're free with Kindle unlimited, they have the free audible, and they're narrated by Kate Rudd who I love. Maybe a little audio assistance will help you finish a trilogy.
Mailis
Currently Reading: The Employee Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mailis.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Mailis »

I'm usually the opposite, after reading three books one after another in a series I always feel a bit adrift and sad that the books ended, because I'm usually so well submerged to the fictional world by then.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”