Seeing people in public with a book

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
gregs317
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Seeing people in public with a book

Post by gregs317 »

I was just at a medical waiting room yesterday, and had to sit there for about 45 mins. I was feeling foolish that I hadn't brought a book with me to kill some time. And of course, three gentlemen proceed to join the crowd - each of them carrying a book! Wow, I felt so silly, lol.

I also spotted a woman at another place with a book.
Have you spotted anyone with a book in public recently? Greg
LivreAmour217
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Anymore, I've noticed that people tend to pull out their cell phones to pass the time. Of course, some of them might be reading e-books (as I often do), but I don't see too many paper books. Whenever I bring a traditional book to read in a waiting area, I also feel like I stick out because I'm the only one!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Vickyoreo86
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =118626">A Court of Wings and Ruin</a>
Currently Reading: The Sword of Shannara
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickyoreo86.html
Latest Review: Cover Your Tracks, Leona Leitman by C. S. Johnson

Post by Vickyoreo86 »

It's becoming common again (I'm in england/Norway) people read all the time in coffee shops, on long bus/train trips. I read everywhere, on planes, on my breaks at work at the park when I want time outside.

I even see a couple people reading books while walking to places which is kinda nice instead of phones in faces, but still have the same problem of not being aware of others around you :) I have seen her bump in to walls and grin at herself...very cute!
“We make choices everyday, some of them good, some of them bad. And - if we are strong enough - we live with the consequences.”
― David Gemmell
hazelk

Post by hazelk »

I always take my current book with me when I am in my doctor's waiting room, i am always so interested to observe what others are reading as well. I find that women are the ones that read in waiting rooms.
Vickyoreo86
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =118626">A Court of Wings and Ruin</a>

Post by Vickyoreo86 »

I love that it's such a conversation starter. In cafes if I am sat next to someone who has a book I have read I sometimes ask how they are liking it. ?
“We make choices everyday, some of them good, some of them bad. And - if we are strong enough - we live with the consequences.”
― David Gemmell
gregs317

Post by gregs317 »

hazelk, I agree with you - most of the sightings that I have are of female readers. So, I was pleasantly surprised to see 3 men in the same waiting room at once, each with a book.

-- 16 Feb 2017, 21:16 --

Vickyoreo86, I actually did have someone in a waiting room, notice the book that I had brought with me - and she was curious how I liked it. Apparently, her daughter was reading the same book, so my vote served as a second recommendation.

So it seems that books can be great conversation-starters. :)
jlindquist
Currently Reading: Golden Son
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jlindquist.html

Post by jlindquist »

When I'm on break at work I pull out a book either physical or e-reader depending on the book I'm reading. I also go for audio books on long road trips. I love seeing people with books. The rail line is also popular.

Once I was at a pool with Outlander when the woman at the other end of the pool swam over to me just to tell me she loved the series too.
Cowgirl888
Currently Reading: The 13th Demon
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cowgirl888.html

Post by Cowgirl888 »

Unfortunately when I'm out in public I don't see many people with a physical book...they may be reading on their phones but who knows. I think it's sad that physical books are being dwindled away.
Vickyoreo86

Post by Vickyoreo86 »

gregs317 wrote:hazelk, I agree with you - most of the sightings that I have are of female readers. So, I was pleasantly surprised to see 3 men in the same waiting room at once, each with a book.

-- 16 Feb 2017, 21:16 --

Vickyoreo86, I actually did have someone in a waiting room, notice the book that I had brought with me - and she was curious how I liked it. Apparently, her daughter was reading the same book, so my vote served as a second recommendation.

So it seems that books can be great conversation-starters. :)

I've met some great people this way :)
― David Gemmell
Clarisa
Currently Reading: Bard's Exile
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clarisa.html
Latest Review: "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer, R.I.Alyaseer

Post by Clarisa »

Cowgirl888 wrote:Unfortunately when I'm out in public I don't see many people with a physical book...they may be reading on their phones but who knows. I think it's sad that physical books are being dwindled away.
I agree with you! Less and less people are buying books these days. Whenever I can I try to carry whatever book I'm reading, but sometimes I forget! The electronic era makes it easy to take a book anywhere though.
Latest Review: "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer, R.I.Alyaseer
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I also like that I always have a book with me because of my cellphone. I still like paper books, but I can find cheap or free books more easily in ebook form.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Elaine5
Currently Reading: Great Expectations
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elaine5.html
Latest Review: "The pact with the Devil" by Robert J. DeLuca

Post by Elaine5 »

I ride public transit everyday and see quite a few people reading books. Many are also reading on their phones and e-readers. You can always tell a reader from a texter/scroller :wink2:
Latest Review: "The pact with the Devil" by Robert J. DeLuca
DATo

Post by DATo »

I was just a the doctor's office Friday for my annual checkup and really wished I had a book with me. Sat there about 30 minutes past my appointment waiting for the doctor with nothing to do. Saw one guy with a Kindle and another with a paper book. On the other hand it is for precisely this reason that I go to this doctor. He spends just as much quality time with me as he does with the other people you have to wait for. I just wish I had remembered to bring something to read.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
gregs317

Post by gregs317 »

Please, let's keep paper books alive and well! I don't think it's necessary to make everything electronic quite yet, lol.
SparklingOne
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: A Breath of Snow and Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparklingone.html
Latest Review: "I AM GOD" by Shawn Dall
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by SparklingOne »

Always have my kindle with me, as I can't carry all the books I used to. Will dig it out and read anytime I get the opportunity. While using the ebook others cannot really tell what you are reading, but I have had people ask to look at the device or ask what I was reading. I do like reading on my kindle rather than on a phone, as others can tell you are reading and interrupt less.
Our lives are defined by opportunities, even the ones we miss.
The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button by F. Scott Fitzgerald.
Latest Review: "I AM GOD" by Shawn Dall

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”