Books that have made you cry?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.

Ever cried at a book?

Yes
93%
No
7%

Total votes: 2777

revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Re: Books that have made you cry?

Post by revna01 »

Another one that gets the waterworks going is The Shack, which I've read several times. It's a tear-jerker for many reasons!
maggiechap
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggiechap.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by maggiechap »

Last book I cried at was the House of Night series by P.C. and Kristin Cast, several of the different books when one or two characters died- like hard, angry tears I actually threw one of the books against a wall. And It's not necessarily a book, but I read the Fantastic Beast and Where to Find Them script and teared at the end.
Omohobhio
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42

Post by Omohobhio »

The name of the book is ''To live again''. I will have to go back to search the author. It really made me cry.
Hiss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Hiss »

Marley and me.

As an animal lover, I laughed until I cried and the cried bittersweet tears.

No pet owner can NOT cry and the passing of a beloved pet. However, even going in to this story knowing the end, it is one of my favorites.

So many memories came flooding back to me and I defy the most macho of us not to cry, but I promise, it’s a good cry.
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 776
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

Oh, my goodness. It's been so long since I bawled over a book that I cannot remember the title of the one did it.
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
Bukari
Currently Reading: Everything Solid Has a Shadow
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bukari.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Bukari »

In fact I have read books that made me sad, but can't remember crying over a story.
"Ever Tried. Ever Failed. No Matter. Try Again. Fail Again. Fail Better." - Samuel Beckett.
bookreviewer2016
Currently Reading: The Silent Corner
Bookshelf Size: 2910
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreviewer2016.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Post by bookreviewer2016 »

maggiechap wrote: 21 Mar 2018, 17:29 Last book I cried at was the House of Night series by P.C. and Kristin Cast, several of the different books when one or two characters died- like hard, angry tears I actually threw one of the books against a wall. And It's not necessarily a book, but I read the Fantastic Beast and Where to Find Them script and teared at the end.
Interesting. I read most of the House of Night series, but I don't remember crying at all. I can understand throwing a book, though. I've done that myself, lol.
bookreviewer2016

I can only think of one book that has ever brought me to tears. It was Weekend Warrior by Fern Michaels. And the sad thing happened in the beginning of the book, which is somewhat unusual. I don't know for sure why it made me cry. I guess it was because the joy of her big news was so much in contrast with what came next.

There was a really sad part in my most recent read, Pancake Money, but I didn't cry. Then again, I don't cry but maybe once a year in real life, either. Is that bad?
maggiechap
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggiechap.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by maggiechap »

bookreviewer2016 wrote: 25 Mar 2018, 01:15
maggiechap wrote: 21 Mar 2018, 17:29 Last book I cried at was the House of Night series by P.C. and Kristin Cast, several of the different books when one or two characters died- like hard, angry tears I actually threw one of the books against a wall. And It's not necessarily a book, but I read the Fantastic Beast and Where to Find Them script and teared at the end.
Interesting. I read most of the House of Night series, but I don't remember crying at all. I can understand throwing a book, though. I've done that myself, lol.
-spoilers if you haven't read the book-
Haha, a lot of people say that. But if I remember correctly, I did stay up all night reading it, so I'd been up over 24 hours. Maybe it was that. But Stevie Rae was my favorite character and so was Jack, I got absolutely furious with Stevie Rae's death-hence the book throwing- and didn't want to finish the book.. I cried for both of them and even shed a tear in the way Zoe's mother died. I just found P.C.'s ability to write those scenes incredibly powerful. And that isn't the only one either. Her adult series has brought me to tears on several occasions.
bookreviewer2016

It's been a long time since I read it, but I do remember Stevie Rae and it was sad. I can understand why you cried!
Sanyesto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanyesto.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by Sanyesto »

So far so good I am yet find a book that'll make me cry.
Wanjala4
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Wanjala4 »

I have never cried over a book..I only shed some tears on some..
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

"Me Before You," by Jojo Moyes is a romantic novel, that will definitely get your eyes red and wet
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

A Child Called It by David Pelzer. It's about child abuse. I honestly wish I hadn't read it because I still think about it these many, many years later.
AlicinWelsh
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicinwelsh.html
Latest Review: Puffy and the Formidable Foe by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by AlicinWelsh »

So many books have made me cry. I find reading to be deeply personal and I probably feel overly connected when I am reading something so I am more sensitive to the feelings it evokes in me. Of course I cried at the end of The Book Thief, who didn't? But one of the books I remember crying while reading, that was not overly emotional, was the beginning of the Hunger Games. I think I identified with Katniss and her love for her father and how the loss affected her.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”