Books that have made you cry?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.

Ever cried at a book?

Yes
93%
No
7%

Total votes: 2778

ostarlink123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Books that have made you cry?

Post by ostarlink123 »

Tears rolled down my cheek first time ever when I read The New Man by Femi Ademiluyi. The young produce inspector was brought before the court for a murder charge and right there his mother was shot dead by policemen. I magined the anguish in him as he saw his mother who suffered as a widow to train him in school.
TEECEE33

Post by TEECEE33 »

Matters of the heart, by Juanita Bynum
TrainReading
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 185
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trainreading.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by TrainReading »

The last book to make me really cry was "Winter Garden" by Kristin Hannah. It was wonderful, had me crying happy and sad tears at the same time. Shame I was trapped on a plane at the time, looking like a crazy person.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
kristinajoy07
Currently Reading: Twisted Threads

Post by kristinajoy07 »

Lily and the Octopus by Steven rowley and The Unseen World by Liz Moore. Most recently anyways, it’s super easy to make me cry I must admit
SLD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by SLD »

"Salt to the Sea" by Ruta Sepetys was not only an intense true-life drama that kept me from wanting to put the book down before I reached the end, but resulted in unexpected tears several times during the journey.
Philippians 4:8
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

The book that really made me cry was The Secret History of Us by Jessi Kirby.

When Olivia wakes up in a hospital bed following a near-fatal car accident, she can’t remember how she got there. She realizes she’s lost all memory of events that happened years ago. It's a struggle that is too painful for her to try and figure out who she really is.
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
Bakemono
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bakemono »

The one author whose books have always made me cry is V.C. Andrews. Her books are about kids in really sad Situations. It's fiction but it gets me because these things actually happen.
jswest82
Currently Reading: Heartaches
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jswest82.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by jswest82 »

There have been a few books that made me tearful or broke my heart but there is one which made me fall apart completely and break down in to the worst ugly cry ever! It was wonderfully horrible!! Crazy I know but if you have not read "Bright Side" by Kim Holden....you have to do it! It is such a great book! Great character development, a side of humor, but a seriousness that keeps you hooked. My recommendation though is that you plan on also reading the 2nd book. It is not a cliffhanger but emotionally, you will need closure which the 2nd book provides.
brunettebiblio
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brunettebiblio.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by brunettebiblio »

Looking for Alaska by John Green for SURE! Which was odd because I didn't cry for A Fault in Our Stars at all...
CharB
Currently Reading: The Secret Anarchy of Science
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charb.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by CharB »

I love a book to move me, to really make me feel a part of the story and for me to feel the ups and downs with the characters. My mom caught me in floods of tears during reading many books, but memorably The Fault in Our Stars I found very poignant. Still, I think a book is not worth reading unless you can get lost in the story!
Booklover_CRJ
Currently Reading: First Lord's Fury
Bookshelf Size: 73

Post by Booklover_CRJ »

The Place Where They Cried by Rose Christo is the last book that didn't just make me cry but it stuck with me long after I read it. It was heartbreaking and beautiful. The Place Where They Cried is a work of fiction but based off of real events in U.S. History the Pony Express War.
neiiveee

Post by neiiveee »

The Book Thief makes me cry every time I read it.
GeekPizza
Currently Reading: The Golden Compass
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geekpizza.html
Latest Review: Andalusian in Jerusalem by Mois benarroch

Post by GeekPizza »

I have cried at the ending of Bridge to Terabithia every time I have read it without fail, and I have read it multiple times over the years since I discovered in high school. It's one of my favourite books of all time, a heart-wrenching portrait of grief through eyes of a child.
sepicatt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sepicatt.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by sepicatt »

Of Mice and Men got me and also Where the Red Fern Grows.
nataliecannon13
Currently Reading: An Arsène Lupin Omnibus
Bookshelf Size: 1189
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nataliecannon13.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by nataliecannon13 »

Tons of books have made me cry, but the one I keep thinking of is Feast of Love by Charles Baxter. I didn't expect that one to make me cry (I don't usually like literary fiction), but Feast of Love made me bawl like a baby about the young couple's fate. My roommate felt the need to ask if I was okay. If you haven't checked it out already, I encourage you to dive in!

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”