Books that have made you cry?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.

Ever cried at a book?

Yes
93%
No
7%

Total votes: 2777

lwahls2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lwahls2.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Re: Books that have made you cry?

Post by lwahls2 »

I cry at one very specific part of Anne of Green Gables. Every. Single. Time. Without spoiling it too much, a very dear character unexpectedly leaves and it's just the saddest thing.
Laura Martin

“Because when you are imagining, you might as well imagine something worthwhile.”
― Lucy Maud Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Arite Seki
Currently Reading: The Alchemist
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arite-seki.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Arite Seki »

I've read a lot of books that have made me cry over the years, but the most recent has been Me Before You by Jojo Moyes and the first book to make me cry was Noughts and Crosses by Malorie Blackman. I usually don't cry when I read books even though I'm very emotional, because a lot of the books I've read in recent years haven't had any sad endings.
Amy Murdoch Coleman
Favorite Book: Circe
Currently Reading: Hannah's War
Bookshelf Size: 6988
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-murdoch-coleman.html
Latest Review: Caretaker by George Farrell

Post by Amy Murdoch Coleman »

I've cried reading several books, but the one I remember most keenly is Coming Home by Karen Kingsbury. It is the conclusion of a very long and involved series, and it deals with multiple character deaths that I DID NOT see coming. I read it once and will never be able to read it again.
Jlblawrence
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jlblawrence.html
Latest Review: We Don't Just Eat Lettuce! by Allyn Raifstanger

Post by Jlblawrence »

Sarah's Key by Tatiana De-Rosnay was the most tragic book I have ever read. I knew what was going to happen from the very first chapters and it still had me ugly crying. I don't like to think about it because it still makes me sad. But it was a wonderful book and I'd recommend it to anyone.
GiselleBengochea
Currently Reading: Nathan Turner and the New World Order
Bookshelf Size: 1720
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gisellebengochea.html
Latest Review: Terror In Manila by Frank Q. Aurillo Jr

Post by GiselleBengochea »

:shhh: The book that has made me cry is The Weeping Woman of Putten by Alyce Bailey. This book is based on a true story about the author's family and the atrocities that were suffered by the residents of Putten in the Netherlands during World War II under the Hitler Regime. Despite the tears, the book is well worth reading! Excellent novel!
GiselleBengochea
Currently Reading: Nathan Turner and the New World Order
Bookshelf Size: 1720
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gisellebengochea.html
Latest Review: Terror In Manila by Frank Q. Aurillo Jr

Post by GiselleBengochea »

:techie-studyingbrown: Another book that has made me cry is the The Final Report by Jeff Shear. Contained in the narrative, there is the aftermath of a nuclear explosion and there are the lingering sustained effects of radiation poisoning.
Rabia Farooq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rabia-farooq.html
Latest Review: Rescued by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Rabia Farooq »

The Hunger Games trilogy had me sobbing. It is so emotional and at all the right times.
JustineSophia2
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justinesophia2.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by JustineSophia2 »

For some reason I rarely cry when reading books, but there have been a few over the years that really hit home, Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince would definitely be top of the list. Also, Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood and Marley and Me by John Rogan. It really depends on the story line and characters.
docfatima
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19764">The Duke's Holiday</a>
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-docfatima.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by docfatima »

Many books have made me emotional especially romance novels. Though the recent book that made me cry was strong heart by Charlie Sheldon, a fiction adventure story.
even miracles take a little time. :angelic-blueglow:
NurseCourtney30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27

Post by NurseCourtney30 »

There are only a small few books out there that have ever made me feel emotional... I'm not really the emotional type... not to say that I'm cold hearted, but as a nurse, I see tragedy often and therefore it takes a lot to get me going.

A book that got to me- but only at the very end was : Barraccoon by Zora Hurston
the last known living survivor of the last slave ship to come to America, this story is essentially the interview the author did with this man. He described being in Africa and coming to America against his will, his tragic life after his release to freedom and the sadness that came about throughout the years of his life with his wife and children. Ultimately what got to me was this part (Spoiler Alert!) where he describes nearing the end of his life and dreaming of his mother and remembering vivid dreams of Africa. OMG!! I lost it. You would just have to read it but it was beautiful.

Another book that made me lose it was Night by Elise Weisel (hope I'm spelling his name right). I've read many books about the holocaust and can never get tired of this topic simply because so many people experienced their own sorrows and victories. No two stories are really the same. A child should never witness the degradation and death of their own parents and this man's story is one that can make you do a double take. I was at work reading this on my break and lost it, with one of my co-workers coming in and not really knowing how to react to me lol! It was absolutely a good one.
ESoule
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esoule.html
Latest Review: Triplicity by J Mercer

Post by ESoule »

I just read Like Moonlight at Low Tide by Nicole Quigley. It's a beautifully written YA novel that had me bawling my eyes out!
Latest Review: Triplicity by J Mercer
Barbie_sidhu
Currently Reading: Strong heart
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbie-sidhu.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Barbie_sidhu »

" Divergent series " made me cry at the end when the main character of the book died. Still remember crying at 2:30 am.
brown_gal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by brown_gal »

Thee book that had me bawling like a baby was Me before You by Jojo Moyes. Its a Rom-Com with a tragic ending. :crying-yellow: :crying-yellow: :crying-yellow: :crying-yellow: :crying-yellow:
BlendingNow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blendingnow.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by BlendingNow »

Shiva Triology : Oath of the Vayuputras by Amish Tripathi

It makes me cry to see what shiva has gone through to become the neelakanth for the people
Kawther22
Currently Reading: The Sea-Wolf
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kawther22.html
Latest Review: So, You're Raising Your Grandkids! by Harriet Hodgson

Post by Kawther22 »

I cannot possibly read any of Toni Morrison's books without crying. The last one I have read is Beloved, and it is so beautiful yet so emotionally painful to read. Her books are truly masterpieces, and reading them are a cathartic and sublime experience.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”