Books that have made you cry?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.

Ever cried at a book?

Yes
93%
No
7%

Total votes: 2774

nina soledad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nina-soledad.html
Latest Review: Rise of the Savior by Antoine Bonner

Re: Books that have made you cry?

Post by nina soledad »

Little Women is the first book that made me cry. I felt bad for Beth. Other books on my list are: Five People You Meet in Heaven, and Danielle Steel's Zoya and No Greater Love.
Mariah7francis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariah7francis.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by Mariah7francis »

Operation Dard and Devotion by sprinkleofhayat. I cried so hard I felt sick the next day.
jennybookworm
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by jennybookworm »

I must add Little Women to my list as well. Of Mice and Men, Lonesome Dove, Cold Mountain to name a few!
Shameekah038
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Shameekah038 »

A lot of inspiring books had made me cry but the one book that I can remember is "Where the Red Fern Grows" by Wilson Rawls.. it's a story about a boy who bought 2 dogs.. it's boring at first but as you read farther, it gets you hooked up.. and will make you cry...
Riptide

Post by Riptide »

I haven't actually cried while reading a book, but I found "The Storyteller" by Jodi Picoult to be emotional and I just finished "An Absolutely Remarkable Thing" by Hank Green, which had an emotional part.
Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Post by Anthony__ »

The end of lovely bones and emotional books generally.
LostInLiterature88

Post by LostInLiterature88 »

In highschool, our English class as a whole read a book that caused me to bawl to no end as well as several other classmates. I hate to say I do not remember the author, although I could research it and find it I'm sure, but the book was called "A Day No Pigs Would Die"
I definitely suggest this one to any lover of fiction.
Tessa Morgan
Currently Reading: Bite Me
Bookshelf Size: 57

Post by Tessa Morgan »

I have cried a lot when it comes to books. The time I remember most vividly was when I was reading A Court of Wings and Ruin by Sarah J. Maas, I was on the treadmill at the gym, I was at a part where the characters was just about to enter a war where they did not think they would walk away from, oh my woooooord the words written there had me bawling my eyes out right there is the gym.
amafie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amafie.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by amafie »

I cried with Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows as well! One that stands out the most right now is The Game Of Thrones by George R.R. Martin. A myriad of unexpected emotions arose while reading that book. Surprising to say the least! I love when a book can bring to surface any and every emotion.
"Those who feel grateful, and are eternally generous, experience life at its richest."
Rob White
Zora C Penter
Currently Reading: Every Ghost Has Its Story
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zora-c-penter.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Zora C Penter »

Bridge to Terabithia , The Other Side of the Mountain, and Where the Red Fern Grows all made me cry. The last one especially brought on the tears multiple times.
Louanne Piccolo
Currently Reading: A Judegement in Stone
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-louanne-piccolo.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Louanne Piccolo »

I've just finished reading a wonderful book set in Australia called Beneath the Willow by Michael J Murphy.

Reminiscent of The Thorn Birds, it's an epic family saga and made me cry in more than one place. So sad, but so beautiful. I was truly sorry when it ended!
It's likely I will die next to a pile of things I was meaning to read - Lemony Snicket
YaileneV2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by YaileneV2 »

I have a lot of books that made me cry but the one that still confuses me on why it made me cry the way it did was Stolen. The author captures what Stockholm syndrome is very good and it made you even fall in love with the character to get a closer insight into what Stockholm syndrome is.
00LynnMarie
Currently Reading: The Warramunga's War
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-00lynnmarie.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by 00LynnMarie »

So many books have moved me to tears over my lifetime of reading. A couple of memorable ones are Flowers for Algernon, Of Mice and Men, anything by Jodi Picoult. Trust me, I know there are so many others. Great authors are able to really tap into our emotions. It's a pretty incredible talent, to be able to create fictional settings and/or characters so real that we care about them as if they were living, breathing people.
"There are times when the world is rearranging itself, and at times like that, the right words can change the world." - Orson Scott Card, Ender's Game
00LynnMarie
Currently Reading: The Warramunga's War
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-00lynnmarie.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by 00LynnMarie »

Zora C Penter wrote: 11 Jan 2019, 09:37 Bridge to Terabithia , The Other Side of the Mountain, and Where the Red Fern Grows all made me cry. The last one especially brought on the tears multiple times.
These books are all on my list of tear-jerkers as well. I think I cried when I read Tuck Everlasting also.
"There are times when the world is rearranging itself, and at times like that, the right words can change the world." - Orson Scott Card, Ender's Game
spellbindingstories
Currently Reading: Across the Universe (Across the Universe #1)
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by spellbindingstories »

I cry really easily so I've cried over nearly every book I've ever read. I think the most recent book to make me cry was The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas. Its such an emotional book!

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”