Books that have made you cry?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.

Ever cried at a book?

Yes
93%
No
7%

Total votes: 2777

johnny99
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Books that have made you cry?

Post by johnny99 »

Most recent was "Lean on Pete" by Willy Vlauntin. Grew up at horse racing tracks as a kid. Loved the horses slightly more than the humans.
Gabi_boldt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabi-boldt.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by Gabi_boldt »

I cry a lot, but the one book that really sticks out is "The Book Thief". Had me bawling like a little baby.
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayoomisope.html
Latest Review: Absolute Truth by Joab Russo

Post by ayoomisope »

I'm intrigued at peoples' comments on crying while reading a book. Well, I haven't cried before over a book but maybe I've just not read one that would cause me to cry.
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”
― Charles William Eliot
Roslyn-nicole
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Roslyn-nicole »

Harry Potter series made me cry many times, when Sirius Black died as well as when Dumbledore was killed. I cried when Prof. Snape passed away in real life. But another book that made me shed tears is also a movie now, 'Where the wild things are'. the ending when the little boy has to go home to be with his family and leave his monster family, hit home for me.
SparklesonPages
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 211
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparklesonpages.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by SparklesonPages »

To this day the only book that has ever made me cry is “The Diary of Anne Frank”. None can compare for me.
DesireeRose
Currently Reading: The Blood of Winter
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desireerose.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by DesireeRose »

I cry for books all the time, especially when a series is about to end, and I must say farewell to my best friends. However, there is one book that ended horribly and had me not only crying but SOBBING for thirty minutes straight. Allegiant, the last book in Veronica Roth's trilogy, was heartbreaking. My soul shattered into a million pieces and it took me quite a while to let go and begin reading once again. I cried the next morning after I had finished the book as well, and sporadically throughout the first week. I know it sounds like I'm exaggerating, but no, i'm being completely honest. Read the series and tell me what happens to you :)
seymmarc
Currently Reading: The Nun
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seymmarc.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by seymmarc »

I'm sure there's more, but the most memorable book that I've read that makes me cry every time is "A Rose for Melinda" by Lurlene McDaniel.
GabbiV
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces you have to read before you die, vol 2
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabbiv.html
Latest Review: Of Illusions and Ink Spills by Divya Hirani
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by GabbiV »

I read the last book that made me cry last August called American Born Chinese by Gene Luen Yang. As a product of Asian immigrant parents, this book hit a lot of the pain me and my family have encountered at racism. This is the first time I've seen this kind of story in comic form, so it hit me pretty hard.
Aubrey Lewis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aubrey-lewis.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Aubrey Lewis »

One book that I cried for was Sidney Sheldon's "Rage of Angels". It both touched and frustrated me at the same time so I got teary.
BookInspector300
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookinspector300.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by BookInspector300 »

I never really cry when it comes to books. I might feel emotions but my tears are usually reserved for movies. However, one of my earliest memories of crying while reading a book was when I read The Gift by Danielle Steele. It was a real tear jerker. i'm almost moved to tears just thinking about it now.
cosmographist69
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cosmographist69.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by cosmographist69 »

Because I am FAR too manly to ever shed a tear over a book- I will say that Johnny Got His Gun by Dalton Trumbo...is pretty darn painful! I recall that by chapter X, the reader is really dumbfounded and helpless, inside this brutalized narrator's psychological prison. If it does not literally bring one to tears, it certainly makes one know severe helplessness at an unbearably deep emotional level.
Nec Spe, Nec Metu
VictoriaMcMillen
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoriamcmillen.html
Latest Review: The Making Of A Soldier by Adriene Odom

Post by VictoriaMcMillen »

The only book, that I can recall, that made me cry was, The Child Called It. It was horrifying reading how the boy grew up with not a strip of self-worth or self-accomplishment being expressed to him by his mom. Absolutely heart-wrenching.
~Victoria M.L. McMillen

"You can, you should, and if you are brave enough to start, you will." Stephen King
Jolaugh_95
Currently Reading: Shades of Blues
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jolaugh-95.html
Latest Review: The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by Jolaugh_95 »

There have been a lot of them, for various reasons. The first one that comes to mind is Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers. It is one of my all time favorites.

Non-fiction: Damaged by Cathy Glass was absolutely devastating. It's one of the rare books that I almost wish I'd never read. It was a hopeless and bleak account of a foster child who had been abused in every possible way from the time she was an infant. A stark and bleak statement that children can be so damaged that they can never be fixed.
Jfoust1988
Currently Reading: The Vampire Secret
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jfoust1988.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by Jfoust1988 »

Allegiant by veronica roth. The ending is nessary but heart retching.
Lenny1886
Currently Reading: Sense and Sensibility
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lenny1886.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Lenny1886 »

When I was younger I read the junior version of Marley & Me called Marley: A Dog Like No Other and for the longest time that was the only book to have made me truly cry. I'm definitely more of a crier at movies. I did shed some tears reading The Fault in Our Stars but I think they were more forced ones because I knew all of my friends cried reading it (I still loved the book either way). I can't off the top of my head remember what other books have made me cry.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”