Books that have made you cry?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.

Ever cried at a book?

Yes
93%
No
7%

Total votes: 2777

McFatter
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Books that have made you cry?

Post by McFatter »

When I was a boy, I read Old Yeller by Fred Gipson. I reckon that was the first time I "let loose them tears on the page."

As an adult, Book VII of Stephen King's Dark Tower series did that for me when a main character died. (Don't want to spoil it for anyone that might be climbing their way through the tower right now.)

I'm not sure if I actually cried when I read The Time Traveler's Wife, but I was certainly profoundly affected by it emotionally--enough to get me to read the book about three times.

But the most powerful emotion or sense of feeling a book has ever made me feel was when I read the "red wedding" chapter in George R. R. Martin's A Storm of Swords. This was years before the HBO show came out and I had no idea this was coming. I was actually working at a petroleum plant during this time. It was early in the morning and we always gathered in this massive lunch tent before disembarking to our various jobs following our safety meeting. We'd be there anywhere for a good 30-45 minutes, so I was always reading a book while other guys and gals were eating breakfast. I came upon this chapter unexpectedly and I was just gutted. I didn't cry, but it was like being told that someone I knew had just been brutally killed and murdered or that a group of my friends had died in a terrible bus accident. I felt hollow and numb and I had to go into my entire work day like that. That is fine writing right there. Years later, I was actually disappointed by its depiction in the show because the Red Wedding on the pages was powerful, powerful stuff. There was no need to be profane and add a pregnant woman being stabbed in the belly and killed along with the rest to make it effective. That was just gratuitous and unneeded when the chapter as it played out on the pages was powerful enough.

But anyway, I digress.
J Gordon
Currently Reading: school for husbands
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-gordon.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by J Gordon »

I cried at Exiles by Ron Hansen, when the nuns sacrifice their lives to save others on a sinking ship, and at the culminating and foreseen death of Gerard Manley Hopkins, who writes about them in his poem Wreck of the Deutschland.
eddyokoth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eddyokoth.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by eddyokoth »

Who told you that you were naked was touching book to me especially God's message
J Gordon
Currently Reading: school for husbands
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-gordon.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by J Gordon »

eddyokoth wrote: 18 Feb 2018, 04:26 Who told you that you were naked was touching book to me especially God's message
I am reading that one RIGHT NOW! :o
J. Gordon :tiphat:
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

The second half of my copy of ‘Captain Corelli’s’ Mandolin is positively pulpy from me weeping over it.
Jasper Fforde’s ‘Shades Of Grey’ surprised me when the despicable character Courtland died. The comedy switched off, he suddenly became a vulnerable young man, and I found myself crying for him
EricaWilson
Favorite Book: Slated
Currently Reading: Seven Minutes in Heaven
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ericawilson.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by EricaWilson »

Old Yeller definitely made me cry. Any book with a dog in it will make me cry honestly.
Rorb
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Rorb »

what we left behind by robin talley, not even a good book but everything seemed so hopeless for the characters that i had to cry.
same feeling with south of sunshine by dana elmendorf, not the best book ever but the feeling of sheer powerlessness got to me
Myah Schultz
Currently Reading: Peace Like a River
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-myah-schultz.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Myah Schultz »

I have cried at a lot of books. “The Book Thief” made me ball like a baby. When I watched the movie adaptation, I cried, not because of the movie, but because I was remembering a specific line from the book. It’s one of my all time favorites.
Hannah_Vibbert
Currently Reading: Five Knocks
Bookshelf Size: 26

Post by Hannah_Vibbert »

I cry often when I read. I tend to fall in love with the characters and get so involved with them that I can't help but to cry sometimes.

That being said, I think the one that gets me the worst (no matter how many times I read it) is Black Magic Sanction by Kim Harrison (book #9 of the Hollows series). One of the secondary characters in the series dies, but her death so greatly impacts everyone else that I am always left blubbering like a baby for hours afterwards 😭
WingTaken
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wingtaken.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by WingTaken »

Definitely The Fault in Our Stars.
With this one, you know something is going to happen, but there is so much hope in the book and somehow, John manages to actually go around your expectations and really deliver an unexpected turn that stirs all emotions up.
fengaraki77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fengaraki77.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by fengaraki77 »

I mostly cry if someone dies in a book or a movie. The book that comes to mind right now that made me cry was "Cujo" by Stephen King.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
JodyVamp
Currently Reading: Undone
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jodyvamp.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by JodyVamp »

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince and Harry Potter and Deathly Hallows always get me.
Eye of God by James Rollins does me in towards the end, too. It's like losing Dumbledore all over again.
Sorchadorcha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sorchadorcha.html
Latest Review: "Diary of a Snoopy Cat" by R.F. Kristi

Post by Sorchadorcha »

Most Jodi Picoult books. She just has a way of making me sob like a child.
Latest Review: "Diary of a Snoopy Cat" by R.F. Kristi
Jeyasivananth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeyasivananth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Jeyasivananth »

Margaret Atwood's Blind Assassin and Arundhati Roy's God of Small Things are two more books that have made to cry.
Hheaton
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hheaton.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Hheaton »

Some are embarrassing, but whatever... Bring on the shame!

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - J.K. Rowling
The Five People You Meet In Heaven - Mitch Albom
Where the Red Fern Grows - WIlson Rawls --> OMG, I can't even type the name without a lump forming in my throat
A Storm of Swords - George R.R. Martin
The Fault in Our Stars - John Green

I know there have been others... But these are the ones that stick with me as being some of the most sad stories I've ever read. There have been many that have made me "tear up." But the titles above had me heaving. I resisted reading The Fault in Our Stars forever because I didn't want to buy into the teenage hype around the book. But John Green managed to turn me into a puddle of sniffling sobs.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”