Books that have made you cry?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.

Ever cried at a book?

Yes
93%
No
7%

Total votes: 2777

Readlikewoe
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Books that have made you cry?

Post by Readlikewoe »

One of the first books I read that made me really cry like ugly crying was when I read The Last Song by Nicholas Sparks when I was 16. I remember being in my high schools library trying so hard to keep the tears in which only made it worse and was crying so much lol it was a mess and ever since then I sometimes cry in books more than one should!😂 Some more recent books I’ve cried about is The One by Kiera Cass Half Blood Prince and Order of the Phoenix by J.K Rowling and Ruin and Rising by Leigh Bardugo!! I’d love to hear if any of you have cried to the books I’ve mentioned!!(:
meglovesreading
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by meglovesreading »

Oh man, there are so many that have made me cry, but the one that comes to mind the most is The Book Thief.
Kinkini
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kinkini.html
Latest Review: The Embalmer by Vincent Zandri

Post by Kinkini »

The Fault in Our Stars. My heart ached when I read the book. Being a hardcore lover of the romance novels, incomplete love stories make me flinch. I find them emotionally exhausting, and absolutely unfair.
oceana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oceana.html
Latest Review: Smith by Sam B Miller II

Post by oceana »

Love Aubrey by Suzanne LaFleur made me cry the entire time I was reading it. Also Modoc by Ralph Helfer made me especially teary right at the end. Both were so heart rending good.
Amystl26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amystl26.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by Amystl26 »

The Glass Castle by Jeanetta Walls. True story- heart wrenching and inspiring!
Amystl26
Currently Reading:

Post by Amystl26 »

Kinkini wrote: 16 Jan 2018, 13:49 The Fault in Our Stars. My heart ached when I read the book. Being a hardcore lover of the romance novels, incomplete love stories make me flinch. I find them emotionally exhausting, and absolutely unfair.
I bawled like a baby with this one!! Oh my gosh, I've always said the loss of an S.O. is probably one of the most heart-wrenching situations to go through (other than the loss of a child, of course.).
Amystl26
Currently Reading:

Post by Amystl26 »

missalice wrote: 25 Nov 2017, 23:40 I'm going to tell you a secret.

I am a really emotionally detached person. I just don't feel emotions very strongly. Therefore, I rarely, RARELY cry over books or movies.

The last book in The Mortal Instruments made me cry. Legitimately cry.

It was near the end of the book and the antagonist died. Yes, the antagonist who was portrayed as this horrible, half-demon with no soul. All this character wanted was to be accepted for the sick, horrible person that he was. He just wanted his sister to love him. And do you know how he died? His freaking sister pretended to essentially accept him (I will admit that the situation was pretty effed up) and then betrayed him by stabbing him with some kind of heavenly sword.

It just triggered me.
I didn't read this whole thing because I sensed spoilers, haha! BUT, I've been meaning to reread this series because I only got 3 books in before getting distracted by another book! So the ending is a tear jerker? Interesting... Now I really can't wait to pick it back up!
Amystl26
Currently Reading:

Post by Amystl26 »

SPasciuti wrote: 09 Jan 2018, 15:54 It's been a while, actually, since the last book that made me cry. I believe I read it a year and a half ago. Me Before You by JoJo Moyes. I was a bawling mess, honestly.
Oh my gosh, this one got me as well! I cried like a baby! Such a beautiful story though, and very well-written. :techie-studyinggray:
Amystl26
Currently Reading:

Post by Amystl26 »

JadeK wrote: 22 Dec 2017, 14:51 I have cried with many books but the one that was my epic moment of crying because of a book was when I was in high school and decided to read Gone With The Wind. It was a big read for school but my mom and I had watched the movie tons of times and it was one of my favorite movies so I thought why not read the book! Books are always better than the movie! So, when I got to the part where Rhett leaves Scarlett I cried so hard! Such a great classic.
Gone With The Wind is one of my favorite books! I reread it every Christmas and it gets me every time. The ending just absolutely kills me... she never learns her lesson! Fiddle dee dee...
silvernailthomson

Post by silvernailthomson »

When it comes to books that make me cry, my mind immediately goes straight to "The Glass Castle" by Jeannette Walls. I found that it was recently adapted into a film, but I have to admit I didn't have the heart to see it in cinema. So many twists and turns in this unbelievable autobiography about a brother and sister traveling the country with their fugitive parents. The author never holds back when it comes to detailing her experiences as well as including the abuse she and her brother faced through their treacherous journey. It'll tear your heart out, but it's still one of my favorite books of all time.
Ayebare Naboth
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Ayebare Naboth »

Things fall apart by kinuanchebe
RebeccasReading
Currently Reading: I, Richard Plantagenet
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccasreading.html
Latest Review: Man of the Sea by Nathan Kippley

Post by RebeccasReading »

Of Mice and Men! Even though I know what's going to happen, it always makes me cry.
vixicountiss
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by vixicountiss »

I know I sound like a total baby, but the Great Gatsby had me bawling. lol. It was the first classic that I ever read outside of a classroom setting and merely for enjoyment.
SPasciuti
Favorite Author: Marissa Meyer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 46410">The Wendy</a>
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spasciuti.html
Latest Review: Samuel by Samuel kidstar
fav_author_id: 2388

Post by SPasciuti »

A more recent one that I cried at: All Our Yesterdays by Cristin Terrill. Has anyone read it? I was so impressed by this book. Couldn't put it down for a second and I ended up finishing it in about five hours. The story was amazing and sad all at once.
Poet0113
Currently Reading: The Lightning Theif
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reading Device: B01LYLAALJ

Post by Poet0113 »

The most recent book I read that made me cry was The Fault In Our Stars by John Green. Not even tears but big ugly cry. I'm glad I read it alone.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”