Book You Just Can't Do

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
ninjagrrl13
Currently Reading: The Devil in the White City
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Book You Just Can't Do

Post by ninjagrrl13 »

Do you have that book that everyone and their mother loves? And you got so excited to read it because everyone said it was great and you'll love it and oh its so wonderful! And then you read it and...it just didn't do it for you? Maybe it was all the hype, maybe it's just where you were in life, but you just didn't like the book like you thought?

Mine is Pride and Prejudice. I read so many other similar books and when I had to read it for class I was honestly excited. Some of my friends and my mom had read it before and said it was great and then I read it and I just couldn't do it! I didn't like it! I was so bummed but I didn't like it. I thought it was because I was reading it for school, but when I read it again for fun in college...still no. I almost feel guilty for not liking it but it just doesn't do it for me.

Anyone else? A classic that you hate? Your best friend orequest significant other's favorite and you couldn't even read half of it?
Celticlady
Currently Reading: Josephine Baker's Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 3435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-celticlady.html
Latest Review: Betrayal in Blue by Mark M. Bello
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Celticlady »

For me it was the Fifty Shades books, I am not a prude by any means, but a book that has bondage in it and is poorly written is just not for me...Happy Holidays!
jamesabr
Currently Reading: The Gulf
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamesabr.html
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by jamesabr »

Celticlady wrote:For me it was the Fifty Shades books, I am not a prude by any means, but a book that has bondage in it and is poorly written is just not for me...Happy Holidays!
The Fifty Shades books were a "No" for me too! :lol2: Fortunately, there are some worthwhile erotica to read. I'm in the process of reviewing one right now, and it's a breath of fresh air after attempting to read E.L. James's books.
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla
nfdaniel85
Currently Reading: A Sick Life
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nfdaniel85.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by nfdaniel85 »

jamesabr wrote: 20 Dec 2016, 15:37
Celticlady wrote:For me it was the Fifty Shades books, I am not a prude by any means, but a book that has bondage in it and is poorly written is just not for me...Happy Holidays!
The Fifty Shades books were a "No" for me too! :lol2: Fortunately, there are some worthwhile erotica to read. I'm in the process of reviewing one right now, and it's a breath of fresh air after attempting to read E.L. James's books.
Me too! My first thought seeing this topic was Twilight and Fifty Shades of Grey.
Mailis
Currently Reading: The Employee Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mailis.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Mailis »

Fifty Shades cracks me up, it's just part comedy part amazement that something like that could be this huge (kudos to PR team on that one), but I've read worse than that I guess.
I have had this block about reading Paolo Coelho, because in Estonia at one time everyone thought he was the sun and the moon, because his books were always published with loads of marketing gimmicks and all the "celebrities" claimed reading these books changed their whole life-view and so on, so people who actually never read much of anything or at all, always claimed that Coelho was their favorite author (probably the only authors name that they could remember), so it almost became "requisite" to love Coelho to show how smart, well read and enlightened you were. I know it's very book-snobbish from me, but it kind of put me off his books.
I will probably give them a try sooner or later. Just to prove myself wrong and hopefully I'll be positively surprised that they actually are worth all the hype.
Arrigo_Lupori
Favorite Author: Haruki Murakami
Currently Reading: A Short History of Nearly Everything
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arrigo-lupori.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2566

Post by Arrigo_Lupori »

Fifty shades is an abvious answer but generic fiction also puts me off. Those books titled "The Mysterious Island" or "Dangerous Games". I tend to avoid all generic looking stories and covers, they just put me off visually. I do tend to choose on design and cover. I believe that if someone is serious about writing they better show it off in style. However, there are also books who do just that: putting sprinkly images on the cover and offering no actual content. Those are pretty easy to sniff out as well.
"The abstract sensation of living a lifestyle that hasn't been fully understood."
- The epitome of taste in living disgrace.
TheRedQueen22
Favorite Book: Fight or Flight
Currently Reading: Breaking Hollywood
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theredqueen22.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by TheRedQueen22 »

Gabriel's Inferno series by Sylvain Reynard (I think?)

I have a friend who's a huge fan of the series and the author but I couldn't like it because I hate the heroine so much. Hahaha. To me, she is worst than Anastasia Steele.
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

I couldn't stand Twilight. I get it, it's raining a lot...can we just stop talking about that now?

I gave up and watched the movie, hoping it would help me understand why people loved it so much. The movie was equally as terrible, but at least I only lost two hours of my life.
Godson Onah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Godson Onah »

Mine is The Kingkiller Chronicle by Patrick Rothfuss. Many fellow fantasy fans seem to like it but whenever I try to read it, I can't even get through the first chapter before I lose interest in it.
I probably also should add every Shakespeare book. I have never understood why someone would want to subject themselves to such an oldfashioned way of writing.
glitterrain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-glitterrain.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by glitterrain »

Maximum Ride. It's my genre, it seemed like it should have been catnip to me, but... yeah, no. The writing sucked. The only book I refused to finish reading to my recollection.
SparklesonPages
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 211
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparklesonpages.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by SparklesonPages »

I can do the overly erotic that just are too out there and are sexual just for the sake of it, not actually contributing to the plot (*cough*fiftyshades*cough). I also can’t do the sappy romance. There are so many amazing romance novelists that it’s painful to sit through a badly written book.
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayoomisope.html
Latest Review: Absolute Truth by Joab Russo

Post by ayoomisope »

Twilight. I might be weird though. Apologies to Twilight fans.
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”
― Charles William Eliot
Lincolnshirelass
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lincolnshirelass »

I have to say that Joyce's 'Ulysses' is a bridge I have tried to cross without success, so far!
An Eye for an Eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane

Post by kfwilson6 »

I almost NEVER start a series without finishing it but am 100% onboard with the Fifty Shades haters. I made it through the first two and I just could not handle any more. Totally separate from any story line, plot, character development, whatever, the writing was atrocious.

Other than that common answer I gave Danielle Steele two chances. What boring, simplistic stories. I will never read anything by her again.
Lincolnshirelass
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lincolnshirelass »

Re 50 Shades - I could cope with the sex if only it weren't so badly written!
An Eye for an Eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”