Book You Just Can't Do

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
princessERI
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 599">Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-princesseri.html
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David
fav_author_id: 2909

Re: Book You Just Can't Do

Post by princessERI »

jamesabr wrote: 20 Dec 2016, 15:37
Celticlady wrote:For me it was the Fifty Shades books, I am not a prude by any means, but a book that has bondage in it and is poorly written is just not for me...Happy Holidays!
The Fifty Shades books were a "No" for me too! :lol2: Fortunately, there are some worthwhile erotica to read. I'm in the process of reviewing one right now, and it's a breath of fresh air after attempting to read E.L. James's books.

What particular books are those that have the same genre as Fifty Shades?
I do like it though perhaps I never read another with similar approach.
Anyway, I hate to read is the Twilight series. I like romance fantasy yet I'm not interested.
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David
Gabi_boldt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabi-boldt.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by Gabi_boldt »

Books that I can't get through are few and far between, but the Twilight series tops the list. Fahrenheit 451 is a close second. I was tearing my hair out trying to read it.
JodyVamp
Currently Reading: Undone
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jodyvamp.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by JodyVamp »

I tried a little of Twilight, don't understand the hype! Maybe it's like what happened with Frozen, everyone screamed how it was the greatest thing since sliced bread so when I finally got to try it, it fell flatter than a pancake. Either way, they both annoy me to no end and just the names make me slightly angry.
R-Myra
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Keeper of Lost Things
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-myra.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by R-Myra »

There was this one book that everyone said was great. I'm not gonna name it because it might be offensive to those who read it and found it good. But it was a disappointment and waste of time for me.
-R
rave_2
Currently Reading: A Word so Fitly Spoken
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rave-2.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by rave_2 »

Twilight, Fifty Shades of Grey, and Harry Potter. To me, HP was not well written compared to the other books I've read. I've never read the other two I mentioned, but I found their popularity annoying.
Just reading... :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-studyinggray:
GabbiV
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces you have to read before you die, vol 2
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabbiv.html
Latest Review: Of Illusions and Ink Spills by Divya Hirani
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by GabbiV »

I've watched most modern adaptions, be it TV or movie, of Sherlock Holmes, but I can't get through more than 3 pages of the book.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

R-Myra wrote: 10 Mar 2018, 04:37 There was this one book that everyone said was great. I'm not gonna name it because it might be offensive to those who read it and found it good. But it was a disappointment and waste of time for me.
This is a great place to share your opinions about books whether they differ from the common view or not. I bet you are not the only one to dislike this book and I'm never offended when someone says they didn't like a book I really enjoyed. If I WROTE the book maybe I'd be a little hurt, but as a fellow reader, I'm curious as to your opinion.
R-Myra
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Keeper of Lost Things
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-myra.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by R-Myra »

kfwilson6 wrote: 11 Mar 2018, 14:51
R-Myra wrote: 10 Mar 2018, 04:37 There was this one book that everyone said was great. I'm not gonna name it because it might be offensive to those who read it and found it good. But it was a disappointment and waste of time for me.
This is a great place to share your opinions about books whether they differ from the common view or not. I bet you are not the only one to dislike this book and I'm never offended when someone says they didn't like a book I really enjoyed. If I WROTE the book maybe I'd be a little hurt, but as a fellow reader, I'm curious as to your opinion.
I appreciate your concern but not everyone has views on things like you. I would love to see people like you who are not taking every criticism in a wrong way.
-R
kfwilson6

Post by kfwilson6 »

rave_2 wrote: 10 Mar 2018, 11:27 Twilight, Fifty Shades of Grey, and Harry Potter. To me, HP was not well written compared to the other books I've read. I've never read the other two I mentioned, but I found their popularity annoying.
Curious if you found the popularity of each series annoying because you just don't understand why there would be so much hype around any book series or because you thought they weren't well written?

Sometimes when I am in a reading rut and just can't decide what to read next, I like to know what other people are reading. The hype can make me curious about something. In the case of Fifty Shades, I DID NOT GET IT. Of the 3 series you mentioned, that is the only one I read as an adult so my view of HP and Twilight are tainted by a teen's view of "good writing". But Fifty Shades was just awful. And I am a very forgiving reader. I can finish almost anything (unless it's too complicated to understand) but I just could not bring myself to care about the characters to finish the series. I refuse to see the movies. Did you see any of the movies for these series and did you like any of them?
kfwilson6

Post by kfwilson6 »

Godson Onah wrote: 22 Feb 2018, 11:16 Mine is The Kingkiller Chronicle by Patrick Rothfuss. Many fellow fantasy fans seem to like it but whenever I try to read it, I can't even get through the first chapter before I lose interest in it.
I probably also should add every Shakespeare book. I have never understood why someone would want to subject themselves to such an oldfashioned way of writing.
I can empathize with your feelings about Shakespeare. I just do not get his popularity today. I can see how his writing was popular ages ago but now every other student is buying SparkNotes to get through it. I have similar feelings about a lot of the classics. I have given so many a chance (Little Women, Journey to the Center of the Earth, Pride and Prejudice) but they just do not appeal to me.

Give me a good murder mystery, paranormal romance, or family drama any day :)
Lenny1886
Currently Reading: Sense and Sensibility
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lenny1886.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Lenny1886 »

For me it would probably be the Hunger Games I just found it so hard to get past the style of writing. I liked the actual story, but the narrative seemed so choppy and amateurish. I did love the movie series, though. One instance where the movies are way better than the books!
GabbiV

Post by GabbiV »

kfwilson6 wrote: 12 Mar 2018, 08:48
Godson Onah wrote: 22 Feb 2018, 11:16 Mine is The Kingkiller Chronicle by Patrick Rothfuss. Many fellow fantasy fans seem to like it but whenever I try to read it, I can't even get through the first chapter before I lose interest in it.
I probably also should add every Shakespeare book. I have never understood why someone would want to subject themselves to such an oldfashioned way of writing.
I can empathize with your feelings about Shakespeare. I just do not get his popularity today. I can see how his writing was popular ages ago but now every other student is buying SparkNotes to get through it. I have similar feelings about a lot of the classics. I have given so many a chance (Little Women, Journey to the Center of the Earth, Pride and Prejudice) but they just do not appeal to me.

Give me a good murder mystery, paranormal romance, or family drama any day :)
I think it's unfortunate that Shakespeare is mostly compulsory reading for that exact reason. If students were exposed to his work as he intended, as a live play, I think there would be more genuine enjoyment for his work.
mnmueller
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mnmueller.html
Latest Review: Puffy and the Formidable Foe by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by mnmueller »

I am one of those who could not get through the Twilight series. My sister loved them and lent them to me, but I barely made it through the first one and gave up on the second one. I refuse to look at the Fifty Shades series or Skakespeare. The summaries for those stories are enough to make me back away.

I find a lot of the classics difficult to read. Every time I'm in a rut I look for those Books You Must Read lists and just about every time I find that I've pretty much read the only ones I'm interested in reading, or were forced on me by school.

I enjoyed the first four Harry Potter books. After that, the series went downhill for me. It took a lot of determination to finish the fifth and seventh books. I don't think I'll read any of the last three books again.
rave_2
Currently Reading: A Word so Fitly Spoken
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rave-2.html

Post by rave_2 »

kfwilson6 wrote: 12 Mar 2018, 08:44
rave_2 wrote: 10 Mar 2018, 11:27 Twilight, Fifty Shades of Grey, and Harry Potter. To me, HP was not well written compared to the other books I've read. I've never read the other two I mentioned, but I found their popularity annoying.
Curious if you found the popularity of each series annoying because you just don't understand why there would be so much hype around any book series or because you thought they weren't well written?

Sometimes when I am in a reading rut and just can't decide what to read next, I like to know what other people are reading. The hype can make me curious about something. In the case of Fifty Shades, I DID NOT GET IT. Of the 3 series you mentioned, that is the only one I read as an adult so my view of HP and Twilight are tainted by a teen's view of "good writing". But Fifty Shades was just awful. And I am a very forgiving reader. I can finish almost anything (unless it's too complicated to understand) but I just could not bring myself to care about the characters to finish the series. I refuse to see the movies. Did you see any of the movies for these series and did you like any of them?
Kind of both?

I did my best to avoid Fifty Shades, but it was talked about almost anywhere on the internet, so based off on that, I found myself asking out loud, "Why on earth would people like this garbage?" I've definitely heard it was not well written, and when I hear that about any book, I stay far away. xD This was the same with Twilight.

As for Harry Potter, it was a mix of it being everywhere on the internet, and actually reading the entire series. I read HP when I was a high school senior, and by that time, I have read other books like the classics and even some contemporary novels. HP wasn't as good.

I admit, the hype does make me curious, but that usually leads me to books that are just not as good as the ones I find on my own. It was pretty difficult to understand why people liked Twilight, HP, and Fifty Shades at first, but I had to keep telling myself that everyone has a different taste.
(It really depends on the book as to whether I will be forgiving or not. lol)

I only saw the HP movies, and to be honest, I found them very lacking. Scenes from the books weren't included, others were changed, and that just made them terrible.
Just reading... :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-studyinggray:
GabbiV

Post by GabbiV »

Concerning Fifty Shade, I've been reading fanfiction for the majority of my life, so I think I kind of know my way around a good sex scene by this point, BDSM or not. If I saw Fifty Shades on Archive of Our Own, I'd probably x out.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”