How do you deal with unfamiliar words?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Tommie H Odom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 1960">Sade Evans</a>
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tommie-h-odom.html

Re: How do you deal with unfamiliar words?

Post by Tommie H Odom »

When I come in contact with new words and don't know the meaning of them. I play them over in my mind and look at the usage of them in a sentence. I also look them up to see how they are used in the dictionary and the meaning of them.
jhmende
Currently Reading: The Bible
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhmende.html
Latest Review: "Blowing Sandstorm" by Horace Crenshaw, Jr.

Post by jhmende »

I think, most of the time, it's the same thing with me. I just read on and use the context to figure out what the word means. It just doesn't work when you read a book like "Finnegan's Wake" xD
Latest Review: "Blowing Sandstorm" by Horace Crenshaw, Jr.
ZamaMbatha88
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zamambatha88.html

Post by ZamaMbatha88 »

I always have my dictionary ready to get the meaning and the right pronunciation of the word. Theain reason I read is to expand my vocabulary...
EmperorOfBooks
Currently Reading: the wicked will rise
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emperorofbooks.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by EmperorOfBooks »

If I ever find a word I don't know, I look to see if there are any context clues that will help me. And if there aren't any, I simply search it up and I memorize it!
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Shevi
Currently Reading: The Kite Runner
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shevi.html

Post by Shevi »

My vocabulary is very limited, and for this reason I have problem expressing myself. I simply cannot find the words! So with this in mind I have always encouraged myself to read, and whenever I encounter an unfamiliar word I use it as an exercise to find the meaning and try to learn the word. I use a dictionary app on my smartphone and it gives a sounding of the word properly.
jlindquist
Currently Reading: Golden Son
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jlindquist.html

Post by jlindquist »

Hey DennisK, I also am generally able to figure out the meaning of the word through context. If I am unable to figure it out I look it up online then reread the sentence to make sure I comprehend the author's meaning.
Kb3ck
Currently Reading: Two by Two
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kb3ck.html
Latest Review: "Brown Scarf Blues" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Kb3ck »

When it comes to unfamiliar words I try to use the context of the book to figure out the definition. If that does not work I then crack open the dictionary and see what it has to say.
Latest Review: "Brown Scarf Blues" by Mois Benarroch
karolinka
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karolinka.html
Latest Review: "Loose Threads" by J. O. Quantaman
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by karolinka »

I always have a dictionary handy, when I read a book where I might find an unfamiliar word. I like to collect obscure words anyway- they are interesting and make for great conversation topics~
"How to be a writer. Step one: Write."
- A. Beauchamp.
Latest Review: "Loose Threads" by J. O. Quantaman
DennisK
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ken Follett
Currently Reading: Light in August
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dennisk.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA
fav_author_id: 3559

Post by DennisK »

Shevi wrote:My vocabulary is very limited, and for this reason I have problem expressing myself. I simply cannot find the words! So with this in mind I have always encouraged myself to read, and whenever I encounter an unfamiliar word I use it as an exercise to find the meaning and try to learn the word. I use a dictionary app on my smartphone and it gives a sounding of the word properly.
Shevi, I think most of us experienced times when we perceived a concept that we couldn't express in words – a thought or observation that left us mute. I certainly have. What is that expression I hear now and then … Oh yes, “Words fail me...” Sadly, we can't build upon an unexpressed concept or experience – especially in the abstract world we live in these days.
DarkPurfect
Bookshelf Size: 0
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by DarkPurfect »

I also tend to look at the context the new work appears in. If I can learn the meaning of the word from the situation I will continue to read. Often times, especially while reading Edgar Allen Poe, I have resorted to a quick online dictionary so that I may fully understand the word. This helps me get a better idea of the word as a whole and helps me understand what the author meant by it.
Shruth24

Post by Shruth24 »

To be brutally honest I am a very lazy person to check an unfamiliar word every now and then in the dictionary or for that matter even the internet so I just go with the flow of words if everything is making sense to me. And when once in a while if any word keeps me curious and anxious of not understanding the depth and missing out on some knowledge on the book then and only then I sincerely take the effort of finding out what it really means.
Shashikant N Sharma
Currently Reading: A Book for Oreo
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shashikant-n-sharma.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Shashikant N Sharma »

Look up in dictionary or Google search.
Educational20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-educational20.html

Post by Educational20 »

I ask someone how to spell it or what does the word mean. I also lookup the words.
[CA]
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ca.html
Latest Review: "The Immigrant's Lament" by Mois benarroch

Post by [CA] »

Pondering denotation vs connotation has often interested me. Also fascinating is considering usage and range of meaning. Encountering a new word feels like meeting a new person; complete with a history, reputation, and skill-set. If only getting to know people were as easy as learning new words.
Latest Review: "The Immigrant's Lament" by Mois benarroch
DennisK
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ken Follett
Currently Reading: Light in August
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dennisk.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA
fav_author_id: 3559

Post by DennisK »

[CA] wrote:Pondering denotation vs connotation has often interested me. Also fascinating is considering usage and range of meaning. Encountering a new word feels like meeting a new person; complete with a history, reputation, and skill-set. If only getting to know people were as easy as learning new words.
You remind me of a sentence Brittany Shannon used in her book, OG: “Tasia simply distracts him with physical condolences of love and affection.” It caused my reading to come to a stop. What is an affectionate physical condolence? With a little reflection, I was able to paint a mental picture which was very descriptive of how my wife use to affectionately smooth over stressful times of mine – a wonderfully feminine and descriptive use of words.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”