How do you deal with unfamiliar words?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
PolarTee
Currently Reading: Flashfall
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-polartee.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: How do you deal with unfamiliar words?

Post by PolarTee »

I remember reading Necromancer and I was so lost. I had to google so many terms to understand what the author was describing. A lot of the words were from Japanese culture, and I had no idea. Thank goodness for dictionary apps and having Internet browsers on our phones now -- makes it so easy to find definitions quickly!
Sidenote
Currently Reading: Brave New World
Bookshelf Size: 32

Post by Sidenote »

I would just use context clues and if I can't figure it out, I would skip it. Most of the time, the word is part of an imagery paragraph that has little to do with the action or the characters. However, If I see it often enough, then I'll google it.
ushamv
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ushamv.html

Post by ushamv »

I use the app present in my phone to get the meaning and also to help me understand how it is pronounced if I have never encountered the word before.
foxemily1245
Currently Reading: See Me
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-foxemily1245.html

Post by foxemily1245 »

While I do not often find myself in the presence of unknown words, when I do come across one, I look to see if there are any words that I do know within the word. If there are none, I try and discern what it means by getting a feel for the context surrounding the word. If all else fails, Merriam-Webster always has my back! :techie-studyingbrown:
Fatema5253
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Fatema5253 »

As a e-reader I can just tap on the word and get a definition on the spot. This is why I love being a e-reader, I can highlight the words that are unfamiliar to me and make notes while reading the book and after finishing the book I can just go over everything.
afendley
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-afendley.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch

Post by afendley »

I read mostly history and biography which sometimes contains phrases I cannot comprehend. Since I do not own a smartphone, I have to go to the thick dictionary.
chrisann2780
Favorite Author: Colleen Coble
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrisann2780.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 5369

Post by chrisann2780 »

These are all great sensible suggestions. But, what about words used that are not English? It dies help when using an e-reader. I can look them up and go right on having gained something new. However sometimes I cannot find it at all. Cannot tell what the meaning is even by context. Then I guess check for a glossary in the book. Or, I could try using the net and doing a translation. Any other suggestions for this delimma? Thanks in advance.
afendley
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-afendley.html

Post by afendley »

If you have a friend that speaks that language you could ask him/her. Some online translators though give you the wrong answer.
MkWegs
Currently Reading: Little Women
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by MkWegs »

I typically use context clues to see if I can guess the meaning. However, if I have no idea what the word means, or feel like there could be multiple meanings, I look them up in the dictionary- like most everyone else here. I am a HUGE fan of writing in my books, though I know the world of bibliophiles tends to be quite polarized on the subject. When I look up a word, I underline or highlight it and then I write the definition in the margins. If I loan it out to someone, or read it again and have not retained the new word, it'll save some time.
Brea_21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brea-21.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Brea_21 »

Unfamiliar words will constantly be a struggle when wanting to expand reading horizons. There will be times no matter what is done the word is still a mystery. One way I deal with them is like others mentioned, look at context clues. These clues are there to help guide the reader into understanding what is going on and how the words relate to the story. If I get really stuck I will use my computer or phone to look up a word. I like to expand my vocabulary. Looking up words is time consuming but worth it to say, "I have added another word to my vocabulary."
mrsdeg1983
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrsdeg1983.html
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by mrsdeg1983 »

I look them up as I read even if after reading the rest and understanding it.
Ethan Stark

Post by Ethan Stark »

The following steps can be used to work out the meaning of a word:

What does what in a sentence? (Subject/Verb/Object)
Look for any context clues.
Consider what the word sounds like.
Use your knowledge of word parts.
Look for punctuation clues.
Check your guess in the dictionary.

Ethan Stark
DiverseSpirit
Currently Reading: Last Train to Istanbul
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diversespirit.html

Post by DiverseSpirit »

I tried doing crossword puzzles once and I failed. I could barely start. Regardless of the level of difficulty or topic, I could not do crossword puzzles!

In high school, all of our English teachers required us students to buy these vocabulary books. I forget the publication and the exact name of it, but they included words that we would most likely see on placement tests like the ACT and SAT. The book was practically a workbook by providing fill-in-the-blank sentences, check-up quizzes, and yes, crossword puzzles. We had quizzes AND tests from these vocabulary books. We had to learn the words, their meanings, their synonyms, and their antonyms. It was so complex that I had to study for hours to prepare.

In the long run, when I got to college and started reading news articles and mundane textbooks, I began to remember some of the words from these vocabulary books. That is how I deal with unfamiliar words: just remembering. It took a lot of blood, sweat, and tears to understand all kinds of advanced vocabulary, but it was worth it in the end! I always end up going through trial-and-errors when it comes to pronouncing difficult words. I also get laughed at for pronouncing words a particular way because I have a southern accent.
papaya12
Currently Reading: Insurgent
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-papaya12.html
Latest Review: Protostar by Braxton A. Cosby
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by papaya12 »

If there is enough context, then I can usually get by with context clues like you. If, however, I can't figure out the meaning of the word with just context, I either use a dictionary or ask someone smarter than I am.
winet1965
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-winet1965.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Post by winet1965 »

I learn new words through word association mostly. But if hard - pressed to understand it, I would look it up in the dictionary.
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”