How do you deal with unfamiliar words?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
DennisK
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ken Follett
Currently Reading: Light in August
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dennisk.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA
fav_author_id: 3559

Re: How do you deal with unfamiliar words?

Post by DennisK »

Charles1980 wrote:Unfamiliar words may be a challenge or can be challenging depending on how you want to look at it. When i come across a new word, I look it as a quest to expand my vocabulary and less like an inconvenience. I will look the word up in an actual dictionary, because the journey to finding it helps me remember and increases the reward. Think about other words you come across when searching for the right one. Once I have the word and the definition, I try to find a way to use it 3 times a day until i remember it. After all, so much effort has gone into finding it, you wouldn't want to lose it right! So I like new words, though it may slow the story down, but it is a quest to expanding my knowledge and over all that is what is important to me.

Another way to commit the word to memory - and to even make it part of your working vocabulary is to use it as a password to a site that you frequent. :wink2:

-- 25 Dec 2016, 18:39 --

Welcome to the forum, Charles1980 !
Charles1980
Currently Reading: A Time of Miracles
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charles1980.html

Post by Charles1980 »

That is a great idea and never thought about that route. Thanks for the idea.
Jhyman10
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jhyman10 »

I am a huge advocate of reading as a form of increasing one's vocabulary. Many times, I can use context clues to figure out the meaning. If that doesn't work, the eReader app I use will allow me to highlight the word and search for the definition.
va2016
Favorite Book: The Vatican Protocol
Currently Reading: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance
Bookshelf Size: 716
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-va2016.html
Latest Review: The Mystery of the Hidden Cabin by M.E. Hembroff

Post by va2016 »

By using the dictionary when there is no internet :).
Otherwise, Kindle has a lovely dictionary option
when you click on the word.
noorsawhney
Currently Reading: The Hobbit
Bookshelf Size: 185
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noorsawhney.html
Latest Review: "Aluria" by Tyler Cook

Post by noorsawhney »

When I was younger, I used to write down all the words in a notebook and then look them up afterwards. Now, with advances in technology, I look words up on my Kindle or if I'm reading a paper copy, I have an electronic bookmark that I can type words into and it displays the definition.
Latest Review: "Aluria" by Tyler Cook
Rose Daugherty

Post by Rose Daugherty »

I personally enjoy unfamiliar words. If I don't know them, I look them up in the dictionary---this keeps expanding my vocabulary.
tang2198
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tang2198.html

Post by tang2198 »

For me what usually ends up happening is I'll keep the word in the back of my mind and when it comes up again in my daily life, I'll remember the example of how the word was used and know the meaning of the word. Otherwise, I'll either search up the meaning of the word via an online dictionary or figure out with context clues.
Rose Daugherty

Post by Rose Daugherty »

Say it and its meanining aloud, and repeat over and over during the nnxt few minites.

-- 27 Dec 2016, 08:07 --

Try to guess its meaning, then look it up in my dictionary which is almost completely worn out (my third one in the past few years.)

-- 27 Dec 2016, 08:08 --

Try Using it in three sentences.

-- 27 Dec 2016, 08:08 --

-- 27 Dec 2016, 08:10 --

ask two close friends if they know what it means
Leanna miller

Post by Leanna miller »

The way I deal with unfamiliar words is I look up the definition and read about the word (the definition,examples of the meaning) and I take the time too understand it's meaning
dosenron877
Currently Reading: Route 66
Bookshelf Size: 439
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dosenron877.html
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by dosenron877 »

I am able to survive in nine languages and I teach English for a living. Vocabulary is my absolute number one priority as I teach or study a language. The techniques for dealing with unfamiliar words is different for me in English than when dealing with other languages. In English, I use context clues and rarely rely on a dictionary. A minor problem with using a dictionary is that, while you may get the "exact" meaning of the word, you will have a corrupted version of the author's intended meaning. This is especially true if the author is using slang or jargon. If you are reading a crime thriller and the cop is talking about his "throwdown," I am willing to bet you won't find the term in many dictionaries. The problem becomes more confusing if the same cop, in a social situation, talks about his throwdown girlfriend.

Acquiring vocabulary in a foreign language requires different learning strategies and the individual learner must investigate which strategy is the appropriate match for the learner and the target language. Studying Chinese requires different strategies than learning German. I have studied both. A technique I have found useful is studying word families. If I encounter "hospice," I will create a card with the dictionary meaning and associated words. Because writers strive not to use a term repeatedly, I find this helps with reading.
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann
Kony

Post by Kony »

If I am unfamiliar with a word I usually look it up on my phone dictionary. I have found this works well for me as I enjoy growing my vocabulary. Also, I find by taking the time to look the meaning of the word up it stays in my memory for future understanding in what I am reading.
Dolph_92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolph-92.html

Post by Dolph_92 »

I love coming across an unfamiliar word. I look it up to expand my vocabulary. I've heard many readers say that too many unfamiliar words will make them put the book down. That's a shame.
ahk98
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ahk98.html

Post by ahk98 »

I mostly read on my phone on iBooks so look up the word online :lol: only if its something ambiguous
pamelaeddowes

Post by pamelaeddowes »

Most of the time coming from my curiosity I would have to say I look them up. Ever since I was little I was told to go look up the word I didn't know. :no-spoil:
christine856
Currently Reading: Jurisdiction Denied
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christine856.html

Post by christine856 »

I don't really have a large vocabulary but I tent to just read around the word to get the definition are a feel for what the word meaning. And quite frankly I think the complicated word that I do know is because I am a reader

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”