What are you reading right now ?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Re: What are you reading right now ?

Post by gali »

La Belle Sauvage (The Book of Dust #1) by Philip Pullman. I love it so far!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Jazz14
Currently Reading: The Heart of Darkness
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jazz14.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami

Post by Jazz14 »

I am reading BLINK by Malcolm Gladwell.
Malcolm Gladwell has this distinctive writing style. Difficult theories that might otherwise leave you scratching your head are explained in an interestingly simplistic way. In Blink, he has clearly stated the objectives of the book early on. He is the bestselling author of global phenomenon The Tipping Point.

This book will surely keep you hooked till the last page. Gladwell keeps asking questions that intrigues the reader, he then explains the answers. Blink is a non-fiction. It contains many references to other psychological and behavioural economics studies to support the hypothesis. The power of thinking in a blink or 'thinking without thinking' I must say is explored here. There are examples and situations where the thinking process should better be left to our unconsciousness and Gladwell tells us how to hone such a skill.

This book touches the issue of police and racism, it briefly introduces us to autism and how an autistic person operates. It also includes some marketing strategies. It explains the working of our subconscious brain and the power of thin slicing, which is the main idea of the book. It considers both the strength of our adaptive consciousness and its weaknesses. The power of stereotypes and its effects are discussed in quite a detail here.

I really enjoyed reading this book as I enjoy every Gladwell book. It is brilliant and captivating. Most of all its an easy to read book, it sort of summarizes and presents the ideas of many research papers filled with jargons so you may actually understand it. I rate it 5 out of 5 stars because why not? I enjoyed it, I learned something from it and I recommend this book to adults and teens like myself who are curious about social epidemics and types of people who read newspapers. It is a good read for all although.
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
Kolig595
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kolig595.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by Kolig595 »

Lemoncello Cocktail is my current reading material. It’s great so far as a crime/mystery type novel. So far I have no idea where the story is headed and I’m excited about it.
Sanyesto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanyesto.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by Sanyesto »

I finished reading temptation Trials by B. Truly now I have embarked on " Heaven and Earth" by Arturo Riojas.
mrswoodlee
Currently Reading: Dreamlander
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrswoodlee.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by mrswoodlee »

I am reading Eat Pray Love, A People's History of the United States, and Dreamlander. About to start some others as well: A Passage to India and Strong Heart (to review) and just finished Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows and A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. Lots on the reading plate right now. :techie-studyinggray: :techie-studyingbrown:
Redlegs
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redlegs.html

Post by Redlegs »

mrswoodlee wrote: 25 Mar 2018, 19:06 I am reading Eat Pray Love, A People's History of the United States, and Dreamlander. About to start some others as well: A Passage to India and Strong Heart (to review) and just finished Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows and A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. Lots on the reading plate right now. :techie-studyinggray: :techie-studyingbrown:
I wouldn't mind betting that A People's History of the United States will make you very angry.
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald
Sikuku22
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sikuku22.html
Latest Review: Belas Rift by Stephan von Clinkerhoffen
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sikuku22 »

I'm reading a pace setter.
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

"The Woman in the Window" by A.J. Finn.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Sikuku22

Post by Sikuku22 »

I am reading a novel known as "The Gal "by Ruthie Bolton
Sikuku22

Post by Sikuku22 »

"Effective Leaders and Leadership" by Mildred Stallworth.
mrswoodlee
Currently Reading: Dreamlander
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrswoodlee.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by mrswoodlee »

Redlegs wrote: 26 Mar 2018, 05:17
mrswoodlee wrote: 25 Mar 2018, 19:06 I am reading Eat Pray Love, A People's History of the United States, and Dreamlander. About to start some others as well: A Passage to India and Strong Heart (to review) and just finished Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows and A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. Lots on the reading plate right now. :techie-studyinggray: :techie-studyingbrown:
I wouldn't mind betting that A People's History of the United States will make you very angry.
You are 100% correct. Whatever you bet, you won. LOL I grabbed it for nighttime reading, thinking history might work better than Ambien, but it's getting to where I'm thinking of shifting it to a daytime read, due to the uncomfortable feelings it stirs up at times. :shock2:
AlexaDAM
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by AlexaDAM »

I'm currently reading 'Famous in Love' it's based on a series, but I haven't seen the series. I'm starting with the book. It's about a girl named Paige Townsen who gets picked to act in a movie and her life changed overnight,later on she becomes SUPER famous and gets flirty with her movie costar Rainer Devon, but then falls in love with troubled star Jordan Wilder when he gets a role in the movie Paige is the main character in
Gemarlin
Currently Reading: The Rise of Superman
Bookshelf Size: 1084
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gemarlin.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by Gemarlin »

I'm currently almost 1/3 of the way through I'll Be Gone in the Dark by Michelle McNamara. This is a bone chilling true crime narrative about the Golden State Killer.

He started as a peeping tom and his crimes escalated to murder over a very long run. As of yet, he has not been apprehended. McNamara became obsessed with this case and it was her life mission to hunt down clues to find him - ultimately, she was not able to do this as she herself passed away tragically while writing this book, but the book was brought to fruition after her demise.

HIGHLY RECOMMEND, but it'll also make you want to safeguard your house in a million ways from perverts like this guy.
gregs317
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by gregs317 »

Hi, 'A Tree Grows in Brooklyn' is one of my all-time favorite books. :)
KasieMiehlke
Currently Reading: The Hidden Village
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasiemiehlke.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by KasieMiehlke »

I just finished readingThe Color Purple and started reading The Hidden Village by Imogen Matthews.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”