What are you reading right now ?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: What are you reading right now ?

Post by DATo »

The Hunchback Of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo. This is the first time I've read this novel and I am finding it surprisingly better than I thought it would be. I already knew the basic story from the movie staring Charles Laughton as Quasimoto, but the quality of the writing (which is of course a translation from the French) is what makes this especially enjoyable.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Heather En
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heather-en.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by Heather En »

Hey, just completed the fallen siren series by S. J. Harper. A fabulous read though 'the Reckoning'(third book in the trilogy).. it's ending is rather inconclusive. Has anyone come across a continuation perhaps?

Might pick up The Gentleman and the Scoundrel by Norma Darcy next.
Ashley Cremer
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-cremer.html
Latest Review: Shot Down by Steve Snyder

Post by Ashley Cremer »

I just finished The Reel Sistera by Michelle Cummings. I'm looking for a new book right now.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Kibet Hillary »

I am currently reading 'Daisies and Dragon Slayers of the Equator' by Penny Singham. It is a slow-paced story but is fantastic as well.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Sunday diamond wrote: 08 Nov 2018, 17:24 Currently, I am reading The Spirit of Wants by William H. Coles.

I :D am enjoying this book.
Nice book here. I would also like to read it. It seems that it is very interesting.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Alice Thokchom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thokchom-alice.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Alice Thokchom »

I am reading "The Legacy of Job's wife" by Cynthia Koelker. It is very interesting. I am totally absorbed.
A joke is to entertain people. If it fails to do so, it's something else!
SpencerVo
Favorite Book: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencervo.html
Latest Review: Lola the Buhund and the Father of Discord by Elbot Carman

Post by SpencerVo »

Of Illusions and Ink Spills by by Divya Hirani. It's been a while since I read poetry, but this book seems interesting enough.
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.
Redlegs
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redlegs.html

Post by Redlegs »

DATo wrote: 16 Nov 2018, 13:33 The Hunchback Of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo. This is the first time I've read this novel and I am finding it surprisingly better than I thought it would be. I already knew the basic story from the movie staring Charles Laughton as Quasimoto, but the quality of the writing (which is of course a translation from the French) is what makes this especially enjoyable.
I must say I struggled with it a bit.
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald
DATo

Post by DATo »

Redlegs wrote: 18 Nov 2018, 02:07
DATo wrote: 16 Nov 2018, 13:33 The Hunchback Of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo. This is the first time I've read this novel and I am finding it surprisingly better than I thought it would be. I already knew the basic story from the movie staring Charles Laughton as Quasimoto, but the quality of the writing (which is of course a translation from the French) is what makes this especially enjoyable.
I thought you might reprimand me for not continuing with Decline and Fall *LOL*. At the YMCA, whose gym I use, they have a bookcase where people can take a book if they leave one to replace the one they've taken. Someone left 8 hardbound classics which are part of a set. I took them all and replaced them with 12 other books. I opened The Hunchback Of Notre Dame and began reading and haven't stopped. I will get back to The Decline and Fall Of The Roman Empire someday (I'm now on volume 3), but I keep running into other books I want to read first *LOL*
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
aybige

Post by aybige »

’Diary of Saint Maria Faustina Kowalska: Divine Mercy in My Soul’.
Redlegs

Post by Redlegs »

I have begun The Great Fire by Shirley Hazzard, winner of the 2004 Miles Franklin Award.

Redlegs

Post by Redlegs »

DATo wrote: 18 Nov 2018, 04:37
Redlegs wrote: 18 Nov 2018, 02:07
I thought you might reprimand me for not continuing with Decline and Fall *LOL*. At the YMCA, whose gym I use, they have a bookcase where people can take a book if they leave one to replace the one they've taken. Someone left 8 hardbound classics which are part of a set. I took them all and replaced them with 12 other books. I opened The Hunchback Of Notre Dame and began reading and haven't stopped. I will get back to The Decline and Fall Of The Roman Empire someday (I'm now on volume 3), but I keep running into other books I want to read first *LOL*
Decline and Fall takes some patience and perseverance. I am reading a kindle edition that is divided into 2 parts. I have completed Part 1 and will tackle Part 2 in 2019. We may end up finishing about the same time. LOL.

Nory1982

Post by Nory1982 »

Currently reading a book, Guaranteed Success by Philip Brooker. It is such a very helpful book for people like me who is interested in learning on how to be successful on purpose in business. I am learning so much.
Redlegs

Post by Redlegs »

I am about to start Cirque du Freak by Darren Shan (sometimes referred to as A Living Nightmare #1)

Diogen

Post by Diogen »

Just finished Ninefox Gambit by Yoon Ha Lee (russian translation) and now i`m thinking about Raven Stratagem by same author.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”