What are you reading right now ?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Jilheins
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jilheins.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Re: What are you reading right now ?

Post by Jilheins »

I just finished Mary Renault's The King Must Die. I'm now reading Emperor: The Field of Swords by Conn Iggulden. Both are fantastic historical novels and adventure books. :techie-studyinggray:
Bookmaniac
Currently Reading: The Last Stop
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by Bookmaniac »

KILLERS OF THE FLOWER MOON. Written by David Grann. It’s almost painful to read of the exploitation of what once was the richest Indian Tribe, the Osage of Oklahoma. The federal government combined with local White greed and prejudice resulted in a shameful treatment and exploitation of the tribe. The author has an easy to read writing style, which at times I had to remind myself, “This stuff really happened.” After a series of unsolved murders to several of the richer members of the tribe, the federal government underwent an investigation. Some of the agents were crooks themselves, but others put their lives at risk and died trying to right the evil prevailing. Though I’ve read other stories with similarities, i had not read of the Osage Nation. I wish the book was fiction as it is indeed sad that this is a true story and part of our national fabric.
Philip LoPresti
Favorite Author: Isaac Asimov
Favorite Book: The Sparrow
Currently Reading: Twisted Threads
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-philip-lopresti.html
Latest Review: The King of May by Matthew Tysz
fav_author_id: 2547

Post by Philip LoPresti »

I finally got around to reading my copy of The Girl On The Train, which had been sitting gathering dust for a couple of years. Not sure why I let it sit that long, but somehow I also managed to avoid spoilers. No mean feat, especially after the movie version came out.
Long story short, I read through it in a day and a half, and I wish I'd done it sooner- it's a page-turner, for sure. Now I'm on to Born To Run, Bruce Springsteen's autobiography. We'll see if he can write a book as well as a song!
CasualBookReader
Favorite Book: How to be a writer: Building your creative skills through practice and play
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-casualbookreader.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by CasualBookReader »

I read casually so there are a few books I'll randomly read. I read daily.

For instance, I find a book that strikes my interest and I'll check it out and read it occasionally. So, currently, I have a study book about grammar, a couple of poetry books, my bible, a book I'm serious about reading, and the book(s) I'm going to review for this site.

BreakBeat Poets Black Girl Magic Volume 2
Wild Is The Wind by Carl Phillips
Priest Turned Therapist Treats Fear Of God by Tony Hoagland
Making Sense The Glamourous Story of English Grammar by David Crystal
Lisey's Story by Stephen King
The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci - A Romance Suspense Time Travel Thriller by Belle Ami

It's a lot, I know! But I don't read them all every day except for two: the one I plan on reviewing and the serious one.
CasualBookReader
Favorite Book: How to be a writer: Building your creative skills through practice and play
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-casualbookreader.html

Post by CasualBookReader »

BlondeNicole wrote: 29 May 2009, 00:36
jenniwhittaker wrote:I am always interested in what people are reading right now.... I always read something for fun and something to learn from.

I'm reading a very steamy sex novel by Jackie Christian
called "Todd Brady--Football Star."

Trust me, if you want to LEARN something, this book will
teach you stuff.

You may never go to Heaven for reading it,

but this book will teach you something. lol!

Last night I read her book "The UPS Guy" (ladies get that one!)
and whenever I don't feel like "heavy, serious" books, find myself loving these smart little sex books. They are SMART now!
I'm intrigued!! I must get a copy of that sexy novel! :D
CinWin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cinwin.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by CinWin »

I just started Never Go Back by Lee Child. It is another of his Jack Reacher novels. Its a thriller "who-done-it" and so far it is very good! All of the books I've read by Mr. Child are excellent.
----"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."----
Violetsvision
Currently Reading: A Day in Eternity
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Violetsvision »

Hi there,
I'm new here and thought this would be the best forum page to wet my feet. 😀

I just finished last night reading 'Acca' by Christine Bauer. This is book 3 in the Angelbound series. Thoroughly enjoying this fantasy series. It has a kick ass female lead character, and plenty of action, intrigue as well as a good dose of romance with a Prince. Lol.

Cheers for listening.
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

"Made in America" by Bill Bryson. Its taking me a while to get through as it is very content-rich and I will NEVER remember all those facts, but it makes for intriguing and interesting reading. I love all his books and this one's no exception!
chazdoc205
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by chazdoc205 »

Right now I’m reading a book series call Cherub!
I’m on the first book, it’s really good so far! I got a little over half way through so far. This book is about a kid named James who is sent to a foster type facility, where he meets his roommate! He is eventually recruited by a secret organization of children spies called Cherub! They are trained to fight anyone and anything! There is a tough 99 day training course, and the last task is actually torture! Will James make it? Read the book to find out!
Juliar252
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliar252.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by Juliar252 »

Children of the New World, it is a collection of stories from various futuristic scenarios. I love that the stories are short and thought-provoking, it is the perfect book to have on your nightstand to read a story or two before bed and contemplate the trajectory of the future.
juliamenez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliamenez.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by juliamenez »

I'm just getting started on My Author is Dead. It looks like it has high reviews so far, so I am excited to read this!
uranoscopy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uranoscopy.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by uranoscopy »

I'm re-reading the Harry Potter series!
CinWin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cinwin.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by CinWin »

I am reading Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base. There were a lot of posts about this book and I want to see what all the hoopla is about.
----"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."----
Redlegs
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redlegs.html

Post by Redlegs »

Just about to start on The Tiger's Wife by Tea Obreht, which won the 2011 Orange Prize for fiction.
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald
Samantha Powell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-powell.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Samantha Powell »

Witch Is Why The Search Began, By Adele Abbott.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”