What are you reading right now ?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
EmeraldEyes8918
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 58

Re: What are you reading right now ?

Post by EmeraldEyes8918 »

I am currently reading 'The Blind Assassin' by Margaret Atwood having fallen in love with her incredible writing style and perspective on the world through 'The Handmaid's Tale'. It's a gripping read and quite emotional with the pervading theme of what it means to become older and face the world as it constantly changes. Looking forward to seeing where the story will take me next!
camiller722
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camiller722.html
Latest Review: Last Another Day by Baileigh Higgins

Post by camiller722 »

I'm currently reading Hope Never Dies by Andrew Shaffer. It's the action/mystery novel with Obama and Joe Biden as the main characters. They decide to do a little detective work when a friend of Joe's dies under suspicious circumstances.

My husband and I got a huge kick out of all the "Jobama" bromance memes. So he bought this book for me for my birthday. It's surprisingly well-written for what I thought would have more of a Nancy Drew/Boxcar Children feel. There is action and mystery but there is also that ever-present comical feeling that keeps you chuckling throughout all the danger and suspense.

It's a silly read, but I highly recommend it.
CrimsonPrincess24
Currently Reading: success bound
Bookshelf Size: 48

Post by CrimsonPrincess24 »

I'm reading The Gift by Julie Garwood
erinthemoon
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erinthemoon.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by erinthemoon »

Right now I'm reading Prairie Fires: The American Dreams of Laura Ingalls Wilder by Caroline Fraser an in-depth biography on Laura Ingalls Wilder. I used to love the Little House on the Prarie books but this book has really put them into perspective. Fraser discusses the massive damage settlers did to the mid-west from the ecological (so many locusts...) to the sociological (oh god, the genocide).

The book's incredibly well-written and informative and I couldn't possibly recommend it enough. Did you know that Laura Ingalls Wilder's only daughter grew up to be a libertarian who palled around with Ayn Rand? She did! And she was just terrible.
Redlegs
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redlegs.html

Post by Redlegs »

I have started on Silence of the Grave by Arnaldur Indidason, one of my very occasional forays into Scandinavian crime writing.
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald
catherinecsoto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catherinecsoto.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by catherinecsoto »

I’m reading Tahereh Mafi’s Restore Me. I just started reading the first book of the Shatter Me series when the fourth came out. But I didn’t read Restore Me right after I finished Ignite Me for reason ms I don’t remember now.

I’m halfway through the book and I had friends telling me that the book has this feeling of a fresh start. Not much happening, not as intense as the third book. But it’s worth a read.
Rose Anne03
Currently Reading: Refugee
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rose-anne03.html
Latest Review: The Elf Legacy - Book Five of the Magi Charter by Jordan David

Post by Rose Anne03 »

I'm reading about travel. Going to travel soon. I wonder what is the culture of other countries and their best beaches.
The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.
Dr. Seuss
Book Bear
Currently Reading: Earth Alone
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-bear.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: B0184OCGAK

Post by Book Bear »

Seer by Larry Austin and The Wicked Cousin by Stella Riley.
Vic Man Izah

Post by Vic Man Izah »

am reading a thriller book called The Panther
lady_charlie
Favorite Author: Isabel Allende
Favorite Book: The House of the Spirits
Currently Reading: Very Valentine
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-charlie.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend
fav_author_id: 16996

Post by lady_charlie »

EmeraldEyes8918 wrote: 19 Jul 2018, 09:58 I am currently reading 'The Blind Assassin' by Margaret Atwood having fallen in love with her incredible writing style and perspective on the world through 'The Handmaid's Tale'. It's a gripping read and quite emotional with the pervading theme of what it means to become older and face the world as it constantly changes. Looking forward to seeing where the story will take me next!
I really enjoyed The Blind Assassin, maybe because I am getting older and the world is changing, eh?
I do think it may be her best book, but I have not read The Handmaid's Tale yet. Interesting that you read that one first and then found The Blind Assassin and like them both.....
It is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. J.R.R. Tolkien
lady_charlie
Favorite Author: Isabel Allende
Favorite Book: The House of the Spirits
Currently Reading: Very Valentine
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-charlie.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend
fav_author_id: 16996

Post by lady_charlie »

I just finished The Fourth Hand by John Irving. I was a little sad because A Prayer for Owen Meany and The Cider House Rules
are both pretty good books. The Fourth Hand was just not the quality of work I have come to expect from John Irving and the details about adult encounters are not something I was expecting either.
I just started Star of Peace by Jan de Hartog and not sure how I feel about it yet. The Lamb's War was quite good so I thought I would give this a try.
It is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. J.R.R. Tolkien
Aba123

Post by Aba123 »

Now currently reading War Dances by Sherman Alexia. :D
Jordyn177

Post by Jordyn177 »

I am currently reading The Darkling Bride by Laura Anderson. I am going through an Irish phase, plus I love books with a gothic atmosphere. So far this one is excellent.
KrisShah
Currently Reading: Midnight at the Bright Ideas Bookstore
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krisshah.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by KrisShah »

Currently reading Circe by Madeline Miller.
A little slow to begin, but has turned into a page turner!
Chelle934
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Chelle934 »

I am currently reading Eliza and Her Monsters. I am enjoying this book so far, I especially love the artwork that is put in the chapters.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”