How do you react when you see people burning books?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Jolyon Trevelyan
Favorite Author: Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Bookshelf Size: 10
fav_author_id: 2563

How do you react when you see people burning books?

Post by Jolyon Trevelyan »

Personally i get irritated as i think book burning is something you should not do.
A mistake is simply another way of doing things
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

I've personally never seen someone burn a book but I think I would be both sad and angry. I'd be sad because I would think about all the time and effort that went into making that book even if it was a horrible one. :P And I be angry because I feel like a random person doesn't have the right to burn a book and decide what others may or may not read, because who knows how many copies of that book there are.
MsMartha
Currently Reading: Collected Works of Algernon Blackwood (Unabridged)
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msmartha.html
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by MsMartha »

I've never seen anyone burn a book--thank goodness! But if I do see this happening I hope I'll be close to a hose so I can stop the fire.
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
queeennnkatie
Currently Reading: Bared to You
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-queeennnkatie.html

Post by queeennnkatie »

I'd react the same if I were a veteran seeing the flag being burned. Books are a pure form of art, and if someone can't leanr to appreciate that, then you've lost all of my respect
"Sometimes you lose a battle. But mischief always wins the war."
- John Green, Looking for Alaska
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

Personally, I have never seen a book burned, but if I did I would be very angry.
SandraTWP-BRW
Currently Reading: 1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandratwp-brw.html
Latest Review: "If God Is Not for Me, Then He Must Be Against Me!" by DeShaun Johnson
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by SandraTWP-BRW »

I have never seen this personally. However, if I did, my first thought would be whether something was physically wrong with the books, such as they had mold. I think I might ask why, and possibly open a conversation about how many places there are they are happy and eager to accept unwanted books.
Latest Review: "If God Is Not for Me, Then He Must Be Against Me!" by DeShaun Johnson
easy_dc13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-easy-dc13.html
Latest Review: A Trace of Revenge by Lyle Howard

Post by easy_dc13 »

I've never seen anything like that but the book has to be garbage on top of being absolute garbage. Even then, that's still a couple of trees used to print that out so it's still crazy. On top of that, you spent money on it but it's your call I guess.
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I've never seen this either, but it would upset me to see it. It brings to mind the burning of books under the Nazi regime. There is a famous saying: "Where they have burned books, they will end in burning human beings" (Heinrich Heine).
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
LivreAmour217
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

I've never seen this, but it would upset me. Books are usually burned as a way to stifle ideas and opinions, which I am very much against.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Elle Howard
Currently Reading: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elle-howard.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Elle Howard »

I would,be very sad to,see a book burned. If you disagree with the writing then do not read the book. Do not burn it and ruin it for everyone.
Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him.
–Maya Angelou
ebethina
Currently Reading: Homeport
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebethina.html
Latest Review: "Temptation Trials Part II" by B. Truly

Post by ebethina »

It hurts I cannot stand to watch it. People take up so much time to write those books. Even if it looks like no one would be interested to read a lot of those books they burn today it would be available to someone who could read them in the future. Instead of burning the books they could give them to the poor or charity. I have found lately if I go to book sales I am more likely to purchase a book I have thought about reading but would not pay the extra money because I would be afraid it would not be my style of reading in the end. So I have found if it costs less for under $1 what perfect opportunity to buy it. Last year when we went camping it was windy out. Thankfully I thought to move the book onto the camping table because I didn't think to move the chair. When I came out of the camper the chair was in the fire from the wind. I hadn't moved it enough from the fire so was glad I at least saved the book.
Latest Review: "Temptation Trials Part II" by B. Truly
Mailis
Currently Reading: The Employee Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mailis.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by Mailis »

I've never luckily experienced something like this but I think I would vacillate between extreme anger and sadness.
Camille Turner
Currently Reading: Angela's Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camille-turner.html
Latest Review: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin: The Sedes Infernum by C.S. Colvin

Post by Camille Turner »

I've never seen someone do that in person — I'd completely stop them if I did. I have, however, seen videos, heard stories or even read about it in books and it is one of the worst feelings I've ever felt...anger, sadness and just plain helplessness.
JodyVamp
Currently Reading: Undone
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jodyvamp.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by JodyVamp »

Thankfully, I've only ever seen it done on tv. I'd make it worse and start tossing their holy books into the fire and declaring them "dangerous fiction" to see how worked up I can get the illiterate sheep. I may end up needing bail money if I ever come across an actual book burning...I just have zero tolerance for willful stupidity, which is the only reason to burn books.
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

Its only OK in Fahrenheit 451. Its disrespectful and wasteful otherwise. I don't think anyone should burn anything they disapprove of.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”