Have you ever read the Bible cover to cover?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Someonesstar
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-someonesstar.html

Have you ever read the Bible cover to cover?

Post by Someonesstar »

doesn't even have to be for religious purposes :techie-studyingbrown:
MrsRay
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrsray.html

Post by MrsRay »

I have read through the whole Bible a couple of times, but I wouldn't suggest for someone to read from cover to cover if they were unfamiliar with scripture. I would suggest reading the New Testament first and then going back to read through the history of the Old Testament.
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

I've tried...never got past the forst few pages. As much as I'd like to say I have, I wouod just always get bored.
Lauren M
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lauren-m.html
Latest Review: "Everything I Need to Know About Love I Learned From Pop Songs" by Laura Roberts

Post by Lauren M »

TrishaAnn92 wrote:I've tried...never got past the forst few pages. As much as I'd like to say I have, I wouod just always get bored.
I'm the same way. I would like to read it, but it's not an easy to read book. Although, spoiler alert. My newest review (still pending) is a book written in poetry form about a book of the bible. Made it really easy to read. Keep an eye out for it!!
Latest Review: "Everything I Need to Know About Love I Learned From Pop Songs" by Laura Roberts
TrishaAnn92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

Oh cool! I will! I've downloaded an app to help beginner bible readers, bit I haven't delved into it much.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Yes, it took me about 18 months. Some sections were harder on the eyes than others.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews »

Several times now.

Vermont Reviews
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
angstrom16
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angstrom16.html

Post by angstrom16 »

I am in the process of reading the whole Bible. I found a blog a couple months ago that suggested reading the order of the books. I have found this very helpful in that I haven't got as bored as before when I have tried. I know it will take me a while since I only read a couple chapters each day.
mommyreadsbooks
Currently Reading: Unspeakable Acts
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mommyreadsbooks.html
Latest Review: "Once A God" by Victor A. Wilkie

Post by mommyreadsbooks »

I have tried and I will continue to do so. I want to make it all the way, there is a lot of things that are hard to understand and it is easy to become frustrated.
Latest Review: "Once A God" by Victor A. Wilkie
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Yes, I did (the Old Testament).
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Lauren M
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lauren-m.html

Post by Lauren M »

gali wrote:Yes, I did (the Old Testament).
That's great!

I think that some translations can make it a little easier to read. I have a copy of "The Message" edition that I got back in high school. I haven't tried reading it through yet, I just remember all the negative feedback that it wasn't true to the Bible's translation. I may go pull it out a do a little reading.
Gnome
Currently Reading: Fly: Goose Girl Retold (Romance a Medieval Fairytale, #3)
Bookshelf Size: 297
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gnome.html
Latest Review: Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler
Reading Device: B00OSKREVG

Post by Gnome »

I took a class once that was effectively "read the Bible in a semester" (I went to a religious college and religion credits were mandatory). If I remember right we read the books out of order with one or two of the suspected "deleted" books thrown in for fun. We were also given fill in the blank notes for the lecture portion which made it easy not to do the reading (which I'll admit to slacking on).

I remember the class being both fascinating and boring. As interesting as the reading is it is some of the driest collection of words I've ever read (probably second to the time I attempted to read a dictionary). The class also made me contemplate the amount of history gets lost or edited through the years. The theory is that least two books of the New Testament were written generations after the events happened and used a source material we no long have. it's almost like if I wrote a book report and x-hundred years later my report is found but the original book is out of print/otherwise lost. i think that's what happened to The Princess Bride.
easy_dc13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-easy-dc13.html
Latest Review: A Trace of Revenge by Lyle Howard

Post by easy_dc13 »

Never attempted to do so. I would usually just go to the bible for some particular quotes, etc. . I like challenges but reading it cover to cover just seems to big for me right now.
SparklingOne
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: A Breath of Snow and Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparklingone.html
Latest Review: "I AM GOD" by Shawn Dall
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by SparklingOne »

Not yet. I took a class on the book of John, Revelation, Psalms and another which focused on all the narrative bible books. Truthfully I would probably always skip the beget, begat parts. There's definitely lots more to discover there for me, but I'm not motivated to finish it for bragging rights or anything.
Our lives are defined by opportunities, even the ones we miss.
The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button by F. Scott Fitzgerald.
Latest Review: "I AM GOD" by Shawn Dall
Kdonegan91
Favorite Author: Wanda E. Brunstetter
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 202">Never Cry Again</a>
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdonegan91.html
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
Reading Device: 1400699169
fav_author_id: 19883

Post by Kdonegan91 »

No but I am trying. I am currently reading Matthew now. I don't believe it's something you can read from beginning to end. The books can be read in a particular order to keep them interesting. Such as starting with the New Testament and then psalms. To each their own though.

-- 25 Oct 2016, 15:41 --
SparklingOne wrote:Not yet. I took a class on the book of John, Revelation, Psalms and another which focused on all the narrative bible books. Truthfully I would probably always skip the beget, begat parts. There's definitely lots more to discover there for me, but I'm not motivated to finish it for bragging rights or anything.
I agree.. I skip the begot part every time. I am not going to remember it but I know where it is located if I need to go back to research something. I am not in a rush either and I don't believe it should be rushed. I normally read a chapter or so a day. Been slacking lately though.
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change. - Wayne Dyer
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”