Outgrowing Fantasy

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Lincolnshirelass
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Outgrowing Fantasy

Post by Lincolnshirelass »

I enjoy fantasy - I think LOTR is a masterpiece and I also like 'His Dark Materials', 'Lord Foul's Bane' and many others. But having said that there are times when I DON'T feel like reading it, and it's true some of the works can get a bit samey.
An Eye for an Eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi
jenjayfromSA
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenjayfromsa.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jenjayfromSA »

Where on earth would we be if Tolkien, CS Lewis or even JK Rowlings outgrew fantasy? You can't face real life without a bit of colour and make believe.
AlainaElric
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110

Post by AlainaElric »

It never occurred to me that anyone would or could outgrow any book or genre. Fantasy is one of my favorites and one of the reasons I read, so I'm sure if I ever stopped reading that, it would be because I'm six feet under.
uyky
Favorite Author: Charles de Lint
Currently Reading: Tapping the Dream Tree
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uyky.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
fav_author_id: 6861

Post by uyky »

I never thought it could be weird for a grown person to read fantasy. Everybody watches fantasy movies and it is ok. Game of Thrones is an example of fantasy and I would be surprised to see that a child was reading it.
Kieran_Obrien
Currently Reading: Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kieran-obrien.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Kieran_Obrien »

Game of Thrones hasn't really done much to decrease the stigma of adults reading fantasy, at least I don't think... The show is huge but most people who watch it haven't read the books...
AND adults would only think it's acceptable for other adults to read it because it's so sexually and violently explicit; if it was as 'tame' as most fantasy series people would find it weird.
Does anyone agree?
pinefamily
Currently Reading: Magician
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by pinefamily »

I have to disagree with the statement that "fantasy mainly caters to younger people". Yes there has always been an element of fantasy and magic in children's and young adult literature, but there has been an explosion of it since Harry Potter IMO. The plethora of vampire tales aimed at YA since Twilight is another example.
Having said that, I too am a massive fantasy fan. Tolkien, GRR Martin, Robert E. Howard, Robert Jordan, Fiona McIntosh (how dare she swap genres to romance/women's lit? Lol), Sara Douglass, the list goes on.
I think all (most?) fantasy gets compared to Tolkien because not only is he the/a benchmark, but he was one of the earliest to gain fame. Having said that, I think the term "fantasy" is almost an umbrella term, as there is a wide range of sub-genres if you will. And personally I don't think it as derogatory a term as it once might have been, largely thanks to screen adaptations bringing the genre more into the mainstream.
I don't think the explicit nature of the GOT series makes it acceptable to adults who would otherwise put down fantasy works. I think GOT is just part of the evolution of fantasy becoming more mainstream, as I alluded to above. Former workmates started watching the series, and some who were not constant readers actually started reading the book series as well.
That's my 2 cents worth anyway.
Camille Turner
Currently Reading: Angela's Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camille-turner.html
Latest Review: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin: The Sedes Infernum by C.S. Colvin

Post by Camille Turner »

I agree with you and love your post!! Fantasy is amazing for any age! I love the classic fantasies like Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings and would like to find some new ones as well.
Heather_Mc
Currently Reading: Anna Karenina
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heather-mc.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by Heather_Mc »

There was a time when I read fantasy exclusively, and while I still love it, I've broadened my reading palate considerably. I've come to love reading a variety of genres (fiction and nonfiction), but I don't think I'll ever give up fantasy completely. (By the way, I'm 37 years old. Age ain't nothin' but a number, as they say.)
Honeybeetle
Currently Reading: Snow Crash
Bookshelf Size: 318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honeybeetle.html
Latest Review: Loving Well, The Key To Satisfying and Joyful Relationships by Erin K Leonard (Dr Erin Leonard)

Post by Honeybeetle »

Since it was my mother who introduced me to the genre through her own bookshelf, it never crossed my mind that fantasy was a genre one was supposed to outgrow. I think some people look down on fantasy, but for the same reasons they look down on sci-fi, romance, and mystery. Genre fiction, for a long time, has been thought of as "not as good" as literary fiction. I think that perception is starting to change, thankfully.
Holler about books on Twitter with me @DextroColeo! :techie-studyinggray:
elinadsy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elinadsy.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by elinadsy »

i think OP has a really interesting view, and not one i've personally encountered?

fantasy was originally a genre catered towards adult, way back when, and i'd argue there's no end to fantasy aimed at adults now! i'm definitely not ashamed of reading it in public. fantasy is much more accepted now than it was back in 2009, for example, with Game of Thrones and so on being so widely accepted and engaged with by people who probably never considered themselves fan of the genre!

I think there's definitely misconceptions around high fantasy and high sci fi (?) being inaccessible to people new to the genres (which I agree with personally). But besides that, I don't think you need to be ashamed of reading it?

Something else I think is interesting is that personally, I find the fantasy aimed towards young adults a LOT more engaging, possibly because there's more female authors.

Actually, growing up has only increased my love of it, and it's definitely not something i'm defensive about. i'm sorry OP feels that way! we should all be able to enjoy our hobbies without fear of shame (within reason, though, i suppose)
Tbunde5
Favorite Book: A Column of Fire
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tbunde5.html
Latest Review: Kamel by Charles J Haubner III

Post by Tbunde5 »

In the Narnia series, each of the children outgrows their belief in Narnia until only the youngest remain. What a sad thing it would be if we were to lose all the wonder if magical lands simply because we are older!
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

Outgrowing fantasy? NEVER IN MY LIFE! If I am expected to not find interest in fantasy once I am grown up, I simply refuse to grow up! Where else would I seek refuge when the real world gets too stressful? Where will I wish to belong when the real world gets too mundane? Where will I find the freedom to make anything happen? Many people think reading fantasy books is a sign of immaturity. Oh yes, I'll rather be immature, thank you very much!

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”