Should audio books count towards a yearly reading goal?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
adria_charles
Currently Reading: The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up
Bookshelf Size: 268
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adria-charles.html
Latest Review: "Turka Bella" by Jonathan Feldman

Should audio books count towards a yearly reading goal?

Post by adria_charles »

I listen to quite a few audio books. Even though I read more than I listen, I do count the ones that I listen to towards my yearly reading goal. I can see how some may not think that it would count because it's not actually reading a book, but as someone who does listen to quite a few of them I feel it an accomplishment all the same.

What are your thoughts?
Peterson4
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Peterson4 »

To be candid, i feel it will be good and intriguing if we have the recorded versions at our disposal to complement.
Novelbound
Currently Reading: She Walks These Hills
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-novelbound.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Novelbound »

I listen to audio books on occasion and I do enjoy them, but to be perfectly honest, I do not count them toward my reading goal because I wasn't actually reading them myself, someone else was. Technically I know the story now, but I didn't do the work to get there. But that is just my own personal preference. If other people count them toward their goal, then that is their business. If I ask someone about a book I read and they listened to it, I'm not going to yell them or anything because they still know the story. I'm not that much of a book snob! :lol: I do think people should be honest about it though, and say "yeah, I listened to in on audio" and not pretend they read it themselves. That's just my opinion on it though.
adria_charles
Currently Reading: The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up
Bookshelf Size: 268
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adria-charles.html

Post by adria_charles »

Novelbound wrote:I listen to audio books on occasion and I do enjoy them, but to be perfectly honest, I do not count them toward my reading goal because I wasn't actually reading them myself, someone else was. Technically I know the story now, but I didn't do the work to get there. But that is just my own personal preference. If other people count them toward their goal, then that is their business. If I ask someone about a book I read and they listened to it, I'm not going to yell them or anything because they still know the story. I'm not that much of a book snob! :lol: I do think people should be honest about it though, and say "yeah, I listened to in on audio" and not pretend they read it themselves. That's just my opinion on it though.

See I both listen and read my audiobooks. I use KindleUnlimited so I have that opportunity. That's probably why I don't feel so bad counting the book. Also, listening/reading a book takes me just as long to finish as just reading them. I am honest about whether I read or listened to a book when talking to people, but sadly there doesn't always seem to be that option to put audiobook on the book tracking apps.
Carrie R
Favorite Author: So many
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... d=19706">A Fine Balance</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Eating Bull

Post by Carrie R »

I count audiobooks toward my annual reading goal. If I've taken the time to listen to them and have absorbed the material, for me it's similar to having read the books. But I don't listen to many. Only when I'm driving for long periods. Then they can be a lifesaver. Last one I listened to was "The Guest Room" by Chris Bohjalian. It was so good I hated to interrupt it when I stopped for gas!
Official OnlineBookClub.org review of Eating Bull ~ March book of the month!

Review of The Seneca Scourge - Previous book of the month!
braver
Currently Reading: Playing Big
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-braver.html
Latest Review: "Storm of Arranon" by R E Sheahan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by braver »

I don't see why not. You have to take time to either read or listen to the story, and when all is said and done, you now know the story regardless of how that happened.

I guess the question is what is the purpose of your reading goal? Is it to actually *read* that many books, or is it to work your way through that many stories?
Latest Review: "Storm of Arranon" by R E Sheahan
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

I do not listen to audio books but I think they probably should count towards a "reading" goal, but then it gets all technical; like, does watching the movie then also count toward your reading goal (given that the movie was faithful to the book)?

Perhaps a new definition of the goal needs to be made. Something like, "Story Acquisition Goal". *LOL*
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Carrie R
Favorite Author: So many
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... d=19706">A Fine Balance</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Eating Bull

Post by Carrie R »

DATo wrote: Perhaps a new definition of the goal needs to be made. Something like, "Story Acquisition Goal". *LOL*
Ha, that's perfect!
Official OnlineBookClub.org review of Eating Bull ~ March book of the month!

Review of The Seneca Scourge - Previous book of the month!
DB44
Currently Reading: Breaths in Winter
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-db44.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Reading Device: B00REQKWGA

Post by DB44 »

Personally I am not a big fan of reading goals, but if they do motivate reading AND people do enjoy that reading then each to their own. I don't see the point in a reading goal for the sake of reading. Enjoyment is crucial. And of course listening to audiobooks should count. It is simply one more way of packaging the story or other content and one more way for its consumption,
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Scerakor
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Post by Scerakor »

I used to think that they shouldn't be a part of my annual reading goal, but have since flip-flopped completely. It is just another medium in which I can consume a story and for that reason, I now count them. It is a very personal (and apparently contentious) topic among avid readers.
Ama Idim
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ama-idim.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty

Post by Ama Idim »

I believe they should, I'm yet to try one though
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Elle Howard
Currently Reading: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elle-howard.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Elle Howard »

I count them towards my reading goals. Audio books let me increase my reading time. I usually listen while I drive to work. It helps pass the time and gives me something to look forward to. Whether read to me I or read by me, I have experienced the plot, characters and settings and am left with a knowledge about the book that stays with me. So I count that as being read.
Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him.
–Maya Angelou
FNAWrite
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by FNAWrite »

I know for me it takes longer to listen to a book than to read one, so as someone said earlier, you put the time in, it should count.
Star88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-star88.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Star88 »

Absolutely. You are still getting the information out of the book. It's just in another format.
Buchacha21
Currently Reading: China Virus
Bookshelf Size: 284
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buchacha21.html
Latest Review: Kindred Journeys by Marjorie Tapley-Olson

Post by Buchacha21 »

When I was a teacher, we were told to consider listening to an audio book and viewing pictures only as forms of reading, I guess for students that struggled with reading words. For myself however, I don't think I'd count it towards my reading goal as I prefer to read them. It would be great if there was a way to add it to your read list but have a check box for audio books so you could include or exclude them based on preference.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”