Does Weather Affect When You Read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Thebooknerd24
Bookshelf Size: 14

Does Weather Affect When You Read?

Post by Thebooknerd24 »

I'm posing this question because I'm curious if I am the only one. I love reading no matter what the weather but I do find myself wanting to read more when there is a big thunderstorm going on and it's pouring down rain. I suppose in the winter with pretty snowflakes falling down I'm more inclined as well. However there is something about me and thunderstorms that coincide with me wanting to read. Am I strange or does anyone else get that?
Jojowrites4All
Favorite Author: L.A. Banks
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2847">The Great Gatsby</a>
Currently Reading: Hidden in Plain Sight: Revelation of the Sons of Yah
Bookshelf Size: 514
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jojowrites4all.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 8337

Post by Jojowrites4All »

I love reading no matter the weather, but I find thunderstorms to be soothing. I keep going and going like a tunneling mole.
~ A Lack of Preparation on Your Part - Doesn't Constitute an Emergency on My Part~
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 169
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: NOAH by Naazir Aram Musa

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

I have actually never noticed if weather affects when I read. It's definitely an interesting thought. I am going To have pay attention and check back in when I have a better answer!
Jolyon Trevelyan
Favorite Author: Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Bookshelf Size: 10
fav_author_id: 2563

Post by Jolyon Trevelyan »

No it does not
A mistake is simply another way of doing things
Clifora
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clifora.html
Latest Review: "Before I Wake" by Seven Steps

Post by Clifora »

The weather affects when I read sometimes. Usually, I like to curl up in bed at night when there's a thunderstorm and read a book. Although thunderstorms are scary, I actually find it easier to read when it is raining than when the weather is really hot. It's definitely not weird to want to read when it's pouring heavily outside.
“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.”

— T.S. Eliot
Latest Review: "Before I Wake" by Seven Steps
MsMartha
Currently Reading: Collected Works of Algernon Blackwood (Unabridged)
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msmartha.html
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by MsMartha »

I like to read in any kind of weather, but I especially like bad, hot, muggy weather or snowstorms. I don't want to go out and do something else on days like that--I just want to get comfy and read ;-)
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
Thebooknerd24
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Thebooknerd24 »

I knew I couldn't be the only one! I like to read in rain or shine but there really are certain bouts of weather that affect my reading mood so to speak. When the weather isn't too bad and it's not too muggy out I enjoy spending time outside during the summer. However lately it's been miserably hot and muggy out and all I want to do is stay inside and read and write.
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

Thebooknerd24 wrote:I'm posing this question because I'm curious if I am the only one. I love reading no matter what the weather but I do find myself wanting to read more when there is a big thunderstorm going on and it's pouring down rain. I suppose in the winter with pretty snowflakes falling down I'm more inclined as well. However there is something about me and thunderstorms that coincide with me wanting to read. Am I strange or does anyone else get that?
No you are not the only one.It happens to me also :)
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
cherryalakei
Currently Reading: anita blake burnt offerings
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cherryalakei.html
Latest Review: "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin

Post by cherryalakei »

I think it does sometimes, but it doesn't have a direct effect on when I decide to sit and read. I do tend to enjoy it more though, when it is a rainy and gloomy day and I can curl up in my big chair in front of my window with blankets and coffee or tea and read. If I'm invested in a story though, it does not matter when or where or if it's rainy or sunny- if I NEED to finish it, I pretty much do nothing else but read until I'm done.
Latest Review: "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin
SparklingOne
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: A Breath of Snow and Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparklingone.html
Latest Review: "I AM GOD" by Shawn Dall
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by SparklingOne »

I always have a book or two I'm in the process of reading. I consider a nice snow storm, or other extreme weather event a boon if it gets me a whole day off work to read.
Our lives are defined by opportunities, even the ones we miss.
The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button by F. Scott Fitzgerald.
Latest Review: "I AM GOD" by Shawn Dall
DiverseSpirit
Currently Reading: Last Train to Istanbul
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diversespirit.html

Post by DiverseSpirit »

I read when I can. However, if it is a nice day outside to go for a walk or relax, then I will do that. I do not normally read outside because I prefer to be inside a building or at my own home to read.

Sometimes I take a break from reading if there is a horrible thunderstorm. Because I live in tornado alley, I would hate to ignore a warning signal or the like via the news. If it is raining in general, then you would usually find me in a relaxed position on the couch while listening to the rain. Nature send me to sleep sometimes. :D
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

The weather doesn't really affect me. I read whenever I get a chance. Sunshine, rain, thunderstorms, whatever.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
ReadandRoll[
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: There are several
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... nbroken</a>
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower IV
Bookshelf Size: 550
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by ReadandRoll[ »

Extremes in weather, rain, heat and cold keep me indoors and comfortable with a book. Reading is my favorite pastime so I always have a book or two I am reading.
A book is like a garden carried in the pocket. ~Chinese Proverb
sourav15
Currently Reading: Percy Jackson: Heroes of Olympus
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sourav15.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by sourav15 »

I won't outright say, it's the weather that affects me, more so, it is the atmosphere around. I don't know why, but I also like to read during dark and gloomy weather, when I am all alone and nothing nearby to distract.
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD
Zeiyuka
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =4008">The Hobbit</a>
Currently Reading: Zodiac
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Zeiyuka »

I tend to find myself reading more when it rains or there is a thunderstorm. When it is bright, sunny and not too hot (I don't like hot weather!) I find myself outside wanting to go on a long drive and listen to music or taking pictures. ^_^

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”