What us your biggest problem with reading?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
drb5897
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: What us your biggest problem with reading?

Post by drb5897 »

Like a lot of you, finding the time to read has gotten harder, but when I do, I get so caught up that I often lose track of time and find myself up until all hours of the night to finish a "good read".
Katie[scarlette]18

Post by Katie[scarlette]18 »

DATo wrote:My biggest problem is finding really, really good books to read. I find that I have to go through about 20 - 40 books before I find one that I can honestly call "excellent". This does not mean that the other books are bad, rather they just don't fit my particular tastes to the extent that I can use the word "excellent" in describing them.

Could not agree more!!! I feel like I spend more time trying to find a book that makes me get sucked into the wonderful world of reading. If I can find book after book that will do that I'm sure I would have the same problem that most people are saying about lack of time to read. I do like to read a book all in one sitting all in one day. I feel like it's more fair to the author and the characters to read it just like a movie. For example you wouldn't just stop a movie after 30 minutes so why would you do that with a book? Just a thought that I usually have when I have to put down that boom and go to bed!
angiezuei
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angiezuei.html

Post by angiezuei »

My biggest problem is easily get distracted by the environment. Noises, people talking, television, anything even myself I have to focus 120%, if not I couldn't be able to understand the whole story, sometimes I even have to re-read the previous sentences/paragraph.
lily_kh87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lily-kh87.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by lily_kh87 »

I totally agree with you. I'm not the kind of person who finishes a book in one day but I also would love to have enough time to read as much as I want to.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

I agree that there never seems to be enough time in the day! But I find my biggest problem with reading is how repetitive reading can get when you read as much as I do! I tend to get burnt out after a while because so many books seem too be so similar (same type of characters, same type of plot). I have really tried to start branching out and reading different types of genres lately to try to avoid this reading fatigue.
easy_dc13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-easy-dc13.html
Latest Review: A Trace of Revenge by Lyle Howard

Post by easy_dc13 »

There surely isn't enough time but my take is, reading is a marathon and not a sprint. You still have to enjoy yourself, pace yourself, and make sure reading doesn't feel like a chore. Maybe my biggest problem is eyes getting strained. Get comfy, have a well-lit room, and take your time.
Carleymarie

Post by Carleymarie »

My problem with reading is that I have ADHD and I am not on medication because I don't like medication so it is really hard for me to focus unless the book catches me from the beginning. I am also a super super busy college student who also works so finding time to read is also very difficult for me.
KNewton
Favorite Author: Not possible to list
Favorite Book: Not possible to list
Currently Reading: A Bone To Pick (Aurora Teagarden, #2)
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-knewton.html

Post by KNewton »

With work and what not, the time I really have to read is later at night after dinner and before bed. This is the time my husband watches TV to unwind...normally The Office. I always find myself starting the same sentence 20 times and watching The Office instead! So i guess distraction is my vice when it comes to reading. That and sometimes needing to find a really, really, really good book vs just an okay book.
[*]How Fear of the Unknown Hinders the Development of Informed Decisions by Dr. Seuss[*][/color]
Ashley 1820
Currently Reading: Rebecca
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-1820.html

Post by Ashley 1820 »

I start reading whenever I feel free to read.The one thing I know for sure is...if I love the book....I just can't put it down until I finish it....The biggest problem that I face is my daily busy schedule. School,teacher, co-curriculams etc. keeps me busy the whole day!
Kdonegan91
Favorite Author: Wanda E. Brunstetter
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 202">Never Cry Again</a>
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdonegan91.html
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
Reading Device: 1400699169
fav_author_id: 19883

Post by Kdonegan91 »

Finding the time to read is my biggest issue.
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change. - Wayne Dyer
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
ablume
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ablume.html

Post by ablume »

I love reading, but its very time consuming. It's unlike watching TV or listening to music in that you can't multitask. You need to physically hold the book and read the pages, if you look away for even a second you could lose your place. Reading requires all of your focus and attention, which is nice sometimes, but makes it harder to fit into a busy day.
DiverseSpirit
Currently Reading: Last Train to Istanbul
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diversespirit.html

Post by DiverseSpirit »

I have two problems: one major and one minor.

The major problem is that I lose track of time while reading. I never get in a rush or anything of that nature, but it annoys me how I just lose myself in pages of books. When I was in college, reading textbooks was obviously a priority. There were some nights where I end up reading 100 pages even when I do not know it. In other words, I intend to read, but do not intend to read so much.

The minor problem traces back to my elementary school years. The curriculum in the subject of Reading and Language Arts involved Phonics. I was taught to 'mouth' words to learn how to say and read words. Then, it became a habit to read silently and, even to this day, my mouth still moves along with the words I am reading.
marles
Favorite Author: Margaret George
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 7">Memoirs of Cleopatra</a>
Currently Reading: Anna Karennina
Bookshelf Size: 27
fav_author_id: 12655

Post by marles »

I would say my biggest problem would be that I'm always looking for a book that will just completely submerge me. The kind of book, that I will drop everything that I'm doing, just to read it. I'm always on the lookout for a book like that. I'll find lots of good books, but nothing like that. Its once on a blue moon.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

My "want to read" list is longer than my "have time to read" list. I usually read while eating breakfast, as we all eat breakfast at different times here. If I'm lucky, I might have a window in the late afternoon, if I get home from work first. And then a bit in the later evening.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
ebeth
Currently Reading: The Color of Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebeth.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Reading Device: B0097BEFA4

Post by ebeth »

I feel their is not enough time in the day either. When I hear of my friends in how fast they can read a book I am amazed. I wish I had more time like them to read.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”