What us your biggest problem with reading?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Kourtney_chambliss
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-chambliss.html

What us your biggest problem with reading?

Post by Kourtney_chambliss »

There never seems to be enough time in the day. I'm the type of person who likes to sit down and read the whole book in one day. It just seems impossible between work and school.
MsMartha
Currently Reading: Collected Works of Algernon Blackwood (Unabridged)
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msmartha.html
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by MsMartha »

I like to read first thing in the morning and the last thing at night, for half an hour or so. This helps me to get ready for the day, and then get some relaxation before I go to bed. I like to read at other times, too, and for longer if possible, but I rarely read the whole book at once.
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
j_quick

Post by j_quick »

Not enough time. I get so involved in a book that I can't put it down and don't want to stop.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

j_quick wrote:Not enough time. I get so involved in a book that I can't put it down and don't want to stop.
Same here! There are times when I wish I could just stay home and read all day!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 169
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: NOAH by Naazir Aram Musa

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

Finding the time is always hard for me. Now that's it's summer I've finished a ton of books. But one I go back to school in the fall, it's going to be hard to find the time to read.
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

I always make time to read before I go to bed. I also usually spend my lunch break and time between meetings for work with a book.
Also, we have the same name, spelled the same way. :)
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
gypsywoman13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 434
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gypsywoman13.html

Post by gypsywoman13 »

My biggest problem is finding a quiet time to read, which is usually when I am alone. I find it really hard to read when around others because of too many sounds. I like to really get sucked into the book where I feel like I can feel what the characters are feeling. I can't really do that if there is a lot of activity around me.
barb429
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barb429.html
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by barb429 »

I would agree that I just don't have enough time to read as often as I would like to. I always make time in the evening, but it never feels like enough!
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker
Clifora
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clifora.html
Latest Review: "Before I Wake" by Seven Steps

Post by Clifora »

Don't get me wrong, I love books. But reading just makes my eyes feel tired so easily, after I read a book, I feel like I can't do anything else because my eyes hurt so badly.
“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.”

— T.S. Eliot
Latest Review: "Before I Wake" by Seven Steps
Jojowrites4All
Favorite Author: L.A. Banks
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2847">The Great Gatsby</a>
Currently Reading: Hidden in Plain Sight: Revelation of the Sons of Yah
Bookshelf Size: 514
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jojowrites4all.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 8337

Post by Jojowrites4All »

The last 3 months were challenging. My Mom has Stage IV Lung Cancer, and I struggled with being a caretaker as well as being a working mom. I'm finally getting back on track, but I'm so far behind on the reading challenge. There is good news: 1) Mom is doing well, 2) Summer break has helped tremendously, 3) I'll actually hit my goal before the deadline. So, sometimes time and personal circumstance can work against you.
~ A Lack of Preparation on Your Part - Doesn't Constitute an Emergency on My Part~
lolashoes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lolashoes.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by lolashoes »

True, there's so many books to read with so little time. My to read book list is overflowing and lately i just don't feel like starting a new book instead i reread some of my favorites.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Maegan101
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maegan101.html
Latest Review: "Before the Cult" by Sandy Masia

Post by Maegan101 »

While time is one of my biggest problems with reading, the biggest problem for me is getting distracted. When I finally sit down to read something, it never fails that some one wants to talk or needs me to do something. :(
Latest Review: "Before the Cult" by Sandy Masia
Booky_BettyC
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 55482">Hex Hall</a>
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booky-bettyc.html
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel

Post by Booky_BettyC »

My number one problem is getting comfortable for a long reading session. For once I would like to just be able to sit or lay down and "veg" out without having to reposition every 10 minutes!
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel
Bookisbae
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookisbae.html

Post by Bookisbae »

Getting tired or my wrists hurting haha.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

My biggest problem is finding really, really good books to read. I find that I have to go through about 20 - 40 books before I find one that I can honestly call "excellent". This does not mean that the other books are bad, rather they just don't fit my particular tastes to the extent that I can use the word "excellent" in describing them.

Sometimes I pick up a book for the first time knowing only vaguely what to expect and the thing absolutely floors me. A few cases I could mention include Don Quixote by Cervantes, The Rise And Fall Of The Third Reich by William Shirer, Watership Down by Richard Adams, Fail-Safe by Eugene Burdick and Harvey Wheeler and ... believe it or not ... The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins which, though I would not call it "great literature", I found to be unputdownable.

I am currently reading such a book. It is The House Of The Dead by Dostoyevsky. Though it is one of Dostoyevsky's lesser known works and the contents is very depressing I find myself drawn to it every free moment I have. I just found out yesterday to my surprise that Tolstoy considered it Dostoyevsky's greatest work.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”