What us your biggest problem with reading?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
firefly_1995
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: What us your biggest problem with reading?

Post by firefly_1995 »

Bookisbae wrote:Getting tired or my wrists hurting haha.
I have the same problem! When I try to read in bed, my arms and wrists get very uncomfortable and I get too distracted by switching positions to stay comfortable.

I also have trouble if the book fails to be engaging within the first 20-30 pages. I give most books some time, but there are books that take WAY too long to get beyond lengthy descriptions.
bookworm68
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm68.html

Post by bookworm68 »

Not being able to read all day
jgarner1114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgarner1114.html

Post by jgarner1114 »

A sweet lil angel named Sadie! Being a stay at home mom is great but I love reading and don't always have enough alone time without getting my book stolen :lol: Hopefully that means she will love reading as much as her mama!
mratdegraff91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 433
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mratdegraff91.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: B018SZT3BK

Post by mratdegraff91 »

I would have to agree with most of you and say time is my biggest problem. I have books that I find that I cannot put down and would enjoy reading all day but work and other responsibilities keep me from doing so. There are several that are more difficult to stay focused on that I have no problem stretching time out into small pieces but I would love to just be able to have at least one extra day a week to spend reading.
Madison Degraffenreid
elenaeffe
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elenaeffe.html

Post by elenaeffe »

I find it hard to quit! I usually say to myself... just 20 minutes and then I go but 20 minutes become 30..40.. 1hour!
shaiwest
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shaiwest.html

Post by shaiwest »

My biggest problem with reading, particularly novels, is complicated story lines. If there are lots of character with weird back stories, I often have a hard time keeping them straight and find myself flipping back pages to fill in the gaps. Sometimes I think I should take notes but, if you are just reading for pleasure, that seems like a little too much work.
Ruptain
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Ruptain »

Kourtney_chambliss wrote:There never seems to be enough time in the day. I'm the type of person who likes to sit down and read the whole book in one day. It just seems impossible between work and school.

Agreed. This would have to be mine as well. SO many books--not enough time.
Asapbookworm

Post by Asapbookworm »

Recently I fell asleep twice reading an interesting book - not sure what's going on with me! Does that ever happen to anyone else lol?
Ruptain
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Ruptain »

Asapbookworm wrote:Recently I fell asleep twice reading an interesting book - not sure what's going on with me! Does that ever happen to anyone else lol?

It's because you're relaxing! Try drinking tea or coffee while reading, and opening a window (as long as it's not 100 degrees outside)!

-R
SquaredFarms

Post by SquaredFarms »

I love reading. But since ive had my babies, ive been reading more green eggs and ham than novels. Ill get my groove back. Especially with this site, and the morivation to be part of a literary community again

-- 10 Aug 2016, 16:01 --

I love reading. But since ive had my babies, ive been reading more green eggs and ham than novels. Ill get my groove back. Especially with this site, and the morivation to be part of a literary community again
Ginya
Currently Reading: It Ended Badly
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ginya.html
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited

Post by Ginya »

When the book is so good I temporarily re-prioritize the rest of my life ;) Yay, a day off! I'm going to spend the day at the park! (brings along book and spends all day sitting outside reading) Finally, time to write! I'm going to finish that story outline today! Oh, I'm not feeling inspired now, maybe I'll be more focused when I know how my favorite Game of Thrones characters are faring. Homework deadline coming up? Sorry, can't do it, absolutely must find out how Harry Potter ends. (What I think is funny is back when I was reading Harry Potter, my mom knew I was reading instead of doing homework and all she had to say was to hurry up so I could pass the book to her :D) Oh, priorities.
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
mratdegraff91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 433
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mratdegraff91.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: B018SZT3BK

Post by mratdegraff91 »

Ginya wrote:When the book is so good I temporarily re-prioritize the rest of my life ;) Yay, a day off! I'm going to spend the day at the park! (brings along book and spends all day sitting outside reading) Finally, time to write! I'm going to finish that story outline today! Oh, I'm not feeling inspired now, maybe I'll be more focused when I know how my favorite Game of Thrones characters are faring. Homework deadline coming up? Sorry, can't do it, absolutely must find out how Harry Potter ends. (What I think is funny is back when I was reading Harry Potter, my mom knew I was reading instead of doing homework and all she had to say was to hurry up so I could pass the book to her :D) Oh, priorities.
I feel like I have this same thing going on. I have always re-prioritized for a good book. If it was one I couldn't put down I would rationalize how I really don't need that much sleep to do this or I can just make it up after I finish it. I remember pulling my first all nighter in high school to finish a book and had a competition the next day. The competition didn't go so great but I sure did enjoy the book! :D
Madison Degraffenreid
Lulu1991
Currently Reading: Just One Night
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lulu1991.html

Post by Lulu1991 »

I completely understand your dilemma. What I often do is read on the subway during my commute to work. Normally, I get a 30 minutes lunch break which I use to read while snaking and lastly before going to bed. When I was in college it was a bit more difficult to find time to read, but I usually woke up early to read a few pages before classes, as well as before going to sleep. Reading really helps me distress which is why I tend to read before sleeping that way my mind is clear and I can get a good night sleep. My biggest problem is putting the book down, specially when I'm right in the middle of a good part. The urge to continue reading is almost unbearable but thankfully I am able to control it especially if I need to stop reading because I have to go to work. :)
WildWiggin
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wildwiggin.html
Latest Review: "The Passerby" by David Balzarini

Post by WildWiggin »

I like to read at night before bed, but I sometimes run into the problem where I'll start reading one book can't get into it and immediately start another. If I'm reading a really good book I'll stay up all night just to finish it and be completely dead the next day.
Latest Review: "The Passerby" by David Balzarini
yefimbrodd
Currently Reading: Thera and the Exodus

Post by yefimbrodd »

I have neither big nor small problems with reading. When I was very young and I started studying foreign languages I taught myself how to scan and skim first short articles then very long articles and later books. Having a general idea of the printed material, I would decide whether I wanted to spend my time reading it from the first page to the last page, or I had already had the idea what it was about, and I didn't want to spend any more time on it.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”