Review without spoilers

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
DennisK
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ken Follett
Currently Reading: Light in August
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dennisk.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA
fav_author_id: 3559

Review without spoilers

Post by DennisK »

How do you folks write a thorough review without putting in spoilers? Just what is a spoiler, anyway - and how do you formulate methods to use to avoid them? :no-spoil:
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

A spoiler is something that would take the "edge" out of the book. You wouldn't want to reveal something big that happens, because then the reader would know what to expect and wouldn't have that same feeling you had while reading it. It's definitely hard to sometimes avoid spoilers, but if you feel like you are giving away something that you would have wanted to read in the story line yourself, you should probably leave that part out. :)
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
DennisK

Post by DennisK »

klbradley wrote:A spoiler is something that would take the "edge" out of the book. You wouldn't want to reveal something big that happens, because then the reader would know what to expect and wouldn't have that same feeling you had while reading it. It's definitely hard to sometimes avoid spoilers, but if you feel like you are giving away something that you would have wanted to read in the story line yourself, you should probably leave that part out. :)
It is clear to me when dealing with a “who done it” what the spoiler would be, but in the case of, say, an adventure story: Each challenge faced along the story line is something experienced by reading the story. I think to read an outline of those challenges before reading the story would spoil the whole experience. But when I read many of the Official reviews in this forum, I notice they are long winded with, perhaps, to much detail. Trying to copy them, I feel as though I've turned myself into a mini Reader's Digest which causes me to wonder if have said too much, and that I may have spoiled the book for someone else.
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

When I review a book, I try to talk about the plot in general lines as to avoid spoilers. I write more about the characters. writing, themes, and pros and cons of the book than about the plot itself.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

Usually, I try to read backy through my review and if there is anything in it that I remember being shocking to read, I take it out. You don't want to take the surprise away from the next reader who has read your review. That would be a lot like if you watched a preview for a movie and they showed all the important parts happening in the preview- you wouldn't even care about going to see the movie because you would already know what happend :)
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
MsMartha
Currently Reading: Collected Works of Algernon Blackwood (Unabridged)
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msmartha.html
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by MsMartha »

gali wrote:When I review a book, I try to talk about the plot in general lines as to avoid spoilers. I write more about the characters. writing, themes, and pros and cons of the book than about the plot itself.
http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/
I agree--this is what I try to do. I think it's important--and not always easy!-- to let a potential reader know why the book is interesting without sharing too much information.
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
DATo
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

:no-spoil:

:greatweekend:
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
DennisK

Post by DennisK »

Concentrate on the characters - not so much the plot ..... interesting. I've been wondering what makes some TV sitcoms so popular while others never make it through their first year. I believe it all has to do with the characters in the show. For instance, I like the Big Bang Theory because I like the characters. The story's plot doesn't seem to be all that important. Perhaps this principle applies to literature as well. I'll try writing a review with this in mind. I am reading the Passage trilogy by Justin Cronin and, so far, I have a lukewarm feeling about it. I just realized I don't really connect with the characters.

And a great weekend to you too, DATo
Annie2019
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annie2019.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Annie2019 »

gali wrote: 01 Jul 2016, 23:18 When I review a book, I try to talk about the plot in general lines as to avoid spoilers. I write more about the characters. writing, themes, and pros and cons of the book than about the plot itself.
This is so helpful! I now know. Thank you so much
Reading is an active, imaginative act; it takes work ~ Khaled Hosseini :techie-studyingbrown:
Mvictoria
Currently Reading: Midnight Sun
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mvictoria.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Mvictoria »

I hope this is the right place for this question, but if it’s not I would love some direction, as I am brand new! I am currently reading a book that has an almost rape scene that I’m concerned may be triggering for some people. I’m not sure how to share that without “spoiling” the scene. I would love any advice!
Caleb 044
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caleb-044.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by Caleb 044 »

DennisK wrote: 16 Jul 2016, 01:22 Concentrate on the characters - not so much the plot ..... interesting. I've been wondering what makes some TV sitcoms so popular while others never make it through their first year. I believe it all has to do with the characters in the show. For instance, I like the Big Bang Theory because I like the characters. The story's plot doesn't seem to be all that important. Perhaps this principle applies to literature as well. I'll try writing a review with this in mind. I am reading the Passage trilogy by Justin Cronin and, so far, I have a lukewarm feeling about it. I just realized I don't really connect with the characters.

And a great weekend to you too, DATo
Thank you very much, this has been very helpful, I was having this problem and I think you have solved it.🙏🙏

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”