Is Stephen King as great as we think he is?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Pam966
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pam966.html

Re: Is Stephen King as great as we think he is?

Post by Pam966 »

I have read most of his books and loved them all, most recently was Bag of Bones which was very different than most of his work. It was still paranormal and eerie but not horrifying at all.
proudbookworm
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-proudbookworm.html

Post by proudbookworm »

I really love all of Stephen King's novels and short stories, even the "bad" ones. However, that is not to say that I don't notice the flaws in his writing. They are just special to me. If someone told me they don't like his books, I wouldn't try to force them to read anymore by him, just suggest some of what I think is his best. If the other person is not interested in trying more by him, then that's their business. Stephen King is just a writer among many other amazing writers. If someone doesn't like his writing, then there are plenty of other books to read that are not by Stephen King.
MarkMueller
Favorite Author: Michael Connelly
Currently Reading: I Capture the Castle
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markmueller.html
fav_author_id: 3897

Post by MarkMueller »

I love his novels! I have first editions of every one), yet I don't like the movie adaptations. The only exception is "(Rita Hayworth and) The Shawshank Redemption."
ea_anthony
Favorite Book: Praying successfully
Currently Reading: Prisoners of Geography
Bookshelf Size: 650
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ea-anthony.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by ea_anthony »

Just because this is a book club forum and we try to discuss books and author's, if not this question should be sacrilegious. Stephen King? One of the greatest of all times? Is he as great as we think? Or is he greater than we can ever imagine? I recommend two of his short stories - The Langoliers from 4 past midnight and Willa from Just after Sunset. I rest my case.
Bonus - another short story - The gingerbread girl still from Just after sunset.
Ignorance promotes divisiveness, knowledge encourages diversity. :techie-studyingbrown:
PABS
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pabs.html
Latest Review: This Side of Paradise: the Religious World of Elijah Muhammad by Curtis J. Tilleraas

Post by PABS »

Sarah_Khan wrote: 27 Jun 2016, 15:56 I personally think he is overrated. With all due respect to the people that love him :P ...I've read two of his books, The Shining and Doctor Sleep and they were so disappointing that I can't bring myself to try out any of his other books.
I apologize to King fans out there, but I have to agree. I too think he is overrated. Lovecraft was so much better.
SparklingOne
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: A Breath of Snow and Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparklingone.html
Latest Review: "I AM GOD" by Shawn Dall
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by SparklingOne »

I think most of King's detractors measure him unfairly. He has never professed to be the next Charles Dickens for goodness sake. He is a writer with an amazing imagination who has managed to get all this on paper purely for entertainments sake. I have spent many enjoyable hours reading some of his stuff, this doesn't mean I have cared for all of it. I mostly read or re-read some of the older stuff I kind of like the meandering quality of his work this extra descriptiveness both takes you on a ride, and in most cases shows you underneath each story the underbelly of one of our own horrible human traits. He is definitely hard to read for the webpage, text type reader who like their reading in bite size chunks. It's funny readers either get him or they don't, but he has made an empire from readers who do. One thing I never do is detract a writer, I wish I had this skill.
Our lives are defined by opportunities, even the ones we miss.
The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button by F. Scott Fitzgerald.
Latest Review: "I AM GOD" by Shawn Dall
Taekwondoqueen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taekwondoqueen.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by Taekwondoqueen »

I have read several Stephen King novels and I felt like they just weren’t for me. Like you said, it takes until the middle of the book for the story to really start.
Jude Austin
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jude-austin.html
Latest Review: The Palm Reader by Christopher Bowron

Post by Jude Austin »

For me, Stephen King is very hit-and-miss. The Stephen King books I like (The Stand, Christine, Misery, The Shining, The Green Mile etc) are among my favorite books. Others (From a Buick 8, Gerald's Game, Dreamcatcher) left me wondering just what was going through his head, and I couldn't get on with his Dark Tower series at all.
dianaterrado
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dianaterrado.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by dianaterrado »

I've never read any of his books 😂 I've seen some of the movie adaptations though.
"We should all have something to be weirdly passionate about."
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

He is a household name at this point. One of the major writers since the dawn of major publishing. I respect him as a writer, he has wonderful advice, but I hate his actual writing. He is repetitive and slow.
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
Allybear
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Allybear »

I find his books very difficult to get into. They are very strange and usually have bad endings or unexplained endings and it drives me nuts not having a completion. I read Cell and that book while entertaining I just couldn’t bring myself to read other books of his as I didn’t like the unfinished ending and the overall weirdness of it. I do enjoy some of the tv shows that have been based on his books.
HanSmith97
Currently Reading: A Gentleman in Moscow
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hansmith97.html
Latest Review: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy Book 1 by Claire Youmans

Post by HanSmith97 »

I have never read a Stephen King book, which makes me a terrible bookworm! What would you suggest to be the first book I read?
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

HanSmith97 wrote: 07 Dec 2019, 09:01 I have never read a Stephen King book, which makes me a terrible bookworm! What would you suggest to be the first book I read?
Honestly it depends on what type of horror you like. He has such a varied style. Maybe a classic like Firestarter about a supernatural child, or Salem's Lot which is vampires.
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

HanSmith97 wrote: 07 Dec 2019, 09:01 I have never read a Stephen King book, which makes me a terrible bookworm! What would you suggest to be the first book I read?
Pet Sematary is another Stephen King's novel that's not too long, and can give you an idea of his style because it has both a supernatural and a psychological horror element.
Ciao :)
Massimo
slj3988
Currently Reading: Lord of the rings
Bookshelf Size: 180
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slj3988.html
Latest Review: Learn to Love: Guide to Healing Your Disappointing Love Life by Thomas Jordan, Ph.D.

Post by slj3988 »

I like his writing style and how he describes the mind. Unfortunately, he repeats himself a lot.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”