Do you ever change your rating?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
IsabelMay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3761
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isabelmay.html
Latest Review: "Anna's Journey" by Gerald Miller

Re: Do you ever change your rating?

Post by IsabelMay »

Not really, it only happened a few times, both for books and movie ratings. Sometimes I'm in a hurry to read a book or don't pay enough attention to it and I end up not liking it and giving lower rating. Then, if I'm somehow inspired to pick it up again to read for the second time, I suddenly see it's better (or worse) than I thought previously. Even half-way through reading anything, I'm already sure what rating I will give later.
Latest Review: "Anna's Journey" by Gerald Miller
PABS
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pabs.html
Latest Review: This Side of Paradise: the Religious World of Elijah Muhammad by Curtis J. Tilleraas

Post by PABS »

I often agonize over the rating to give a book, and rethink the rating later. (I didn't know you could change a rating.) I think one reason I do so is that the four-star system is limiting, in my opinion, but that is a topic for another thread.
Waragu Samuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 473
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-waragu-samuel.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Waragu Samuel »

I do this all the time. When I rate a book low, this haunts me for some time. I keep asking myself "why did I rate it such low?"
“If things start happening, don't worry, don't stew, just go right along and you'll start happening too.”~Dr. Theodor Seuss Geisel (1904-1991)
dianaterrado
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dianaterrado.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by dianaterrado »

Yes! But I do this only when I'm re-reading books because sometimes I don't like/hate the book as much as I did the first time.
"We should all have something to be weirdly passionate about."
Christineegm
Favorite Book: And I Darken
Currently Reading: Love and Friendship
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christineegm.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Christineegm »

I usually only change my ratings if I reread it and find that I was too harsh with my rating. Other times I lower five star ratings. However my reading preferences do change and I try to rate as honestly as I can.
Taekwondoqueen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taekwondoqueen.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by Taekwondoqueen »

I have not ever changed my rating because I go through phases and in a month or two I might not like the book anymore. The reason I don’t change my rating is because I am confident in the choice I made while I was into the book.
Elena Nechita
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elena-nechita.html
Latest Review: Zara Hanson & The Mystery of the Painted Symbol by J.L. Haynes

Post by Elena Nechita »

I don't change it after I made the final decision, but after I finish a book, I'l give it the first rating that I think it deserves and then, after I analyze it carefully, I change the rating. But the first one is just in my head.
Linda S 1
Favorite Book: House of Hollow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linda-s-1.html
Latest Review: A Portrait of Mommy by JL Coston

Post by Linda S 1 »

Yeah
This happens a lot. As soon as I finish reading a book I find myself in an ecstatic state and give the book a higher rating. This happens when I'm reading a book that is recommended by a friend or someone close. Usually, such recommended books have a special place in my heart and it takes a few days for me to start critically analysing the book.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”