Do you tend to adopt characteristics of characters you read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Becca KeyWest
Currently Reading: Ben-Hur
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-keywest.html

Do you tend to adopt characteristics of characters you read?

Post by Becca KeyWest »

It turns out after I finish a book, I catch myself with a sense newfound abilities. For example: if I read a story where I feel the leading lady was strong and sassy, without realizing it I will be letting my true opinions fly (with tact of course, we are ladies after all!). Or if she is tough - physically - I suddenly act like Superwoman (my muscles hate me for days after). The one I notice most obviously is speech patterns and dialect. If I read a story from the past, I'll catch myself speaking with the tongue of the time. Makes me giggle every time I notice myself adopting these qualities. :lol:

Maybe these are things I had in me all along. Some of them are, I recognize the characteristics as I'm reading them - I identify with them with true knowing. Some of them are what I secretly want to be, and perhaps this is my push to do so.

What about y'all?
Sarah G
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-g.html
Latest Review: Smith by Sam B Miller II
fav_author_id: 4040

Post by Sarah G »

I don't do this as much with books but when I binge watch a TV show I do :). I start to get hints of an American accent...
I read so many books that I don't think I'd be able to keep up with myself if I did that during reading too :p
The purpose of a storyteller is not to tell you how to think, but to give you questions to think upon
Carrie R
Favorite Author: So many
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... d=19706">A Fine Balance</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Eating Bull

Post by Carrie R »

I don't adopt their characteristics so much as I decide I want their professions. I've wanted to be a detective, a forensic pathologist, and an investigative journalist thanks to some of my readings! Just to name a few.
Official OnlineBookClub.org review of Eating Bull ~ March book of the month!

Review of The Seneca Scourge - Previous book of the month!
jamesabr
Currently Reading: The Gulf
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamesabr.html
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by jamesabr »

I usually adopt the characteristics of a female leading character (if there is one in the book I'm reading). I'm not having that issue now, thought, because the main character I'm reading is already so much like me. :lol:
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla
Insightsintobooks
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks »

I don't addopt their characteristics, but I do tend to try to learn something from each of them.
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

I started smoking a pipe after reading Sherlock Holmes stories. What can I say, I was young and stupid. Today I am old and stupid and still smoke a pipe.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Ruxia
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruxia.html

Post by Ruxia »

I feel like if I get too into a book and if it's long enough, after I finish the way I speak will slightly change and become more similar to that of the book's. As for characteristics... not usually, but if I really admire or like a character, then maybe I'll act a little like them subconsciously.
Lilapo9
Favorite Author: Diane Duane
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 29675">The Ministry of Cantors</a>
Currently Reading: Handbook for Cantors
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilapo9.html
Latest Review: "Memory of Miracles" by Beth Durkee
Reading Device: B00EM3WGYY
fav_author_id: 4363

Post by Lilapo9 »

In some ways yes! If the story centered around a person who was successful and strong I might take them along in my collection of mentors that I have used through the years to continue and grow. My greatest fear is becoming old and rigid in my thoughts. That will not work in the world that we live in today.
Latest Review: "Memory of Miracles" by Beth Durkee
gregs317
Previous Member of the Month

Post by gregs317 »

I always try to imagine the sounds of the characters' voices as they're speaking. I also try to imagine actions and postures of characters - for example, the scene might indicate how "the cat sat on the chair, watching the girl speak". I picture the scenario in my head, as I read. Does everybody do this?
KAIURRIZA

Post by KAIURRIZA »

I do! I'd be using her favorite expression, drink her favorite coffee or eat her favorite dish (cook it if it's not available here).
KiMB00P
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by KiMB00P »

When I was a lot younger I read a book about a girl who loved to roll bread up into a ball and dip it in sugar before she ate it. I did that for awhile, haha. But I don't think I've adopted characteristics from books since then.
Italiansweety1982
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-italiansweety1982.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Post by Italiansweety1982 »

I was reading books by British authors for awhile and found myself saying "Bloody Hell"
Asisha Joseph
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asisha-joseph.html
Latest Review: Andalusian in Jerusalem by Mois benarroch

Post by Asisha Joseph »

No. But when I watch movies I do.
Harley-Panda
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harley-panda.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by Harley-Panda »

I do sometimes. When a book really pulls me in I feel like I idolise the characters a little. Even if I don't actually start taking on some of their attributes I feel like I want to be more like them. Like I'll want to learn more about their profession or the subject they are studying, and their hobbies etc. Also, if certain music styles or bands are liked by the characters I'll often give them a listen.
I go to seek a Great Perhaps
HailKingEbi
Currently Reading: The Notebook
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hailkingebi.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by HailKingEbi »

After i finish a good book, I do find myself adopting some qualities of characters. particularly characters I liked. Maybe i start talking like them, or acting like them. Or start using slangs they used.
We're all puppets, Laurie. I'm just a puppet who can see the strings - Doctor Manhattan.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”