Do you tend to adopt characteristics of characters you read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
gregs317
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Do you tend to adopt characteristics of characters you read?

Post by gregs317 »

Yes, a lot of times I try to imagine the people's voices when I'm reading a passage that contains a conversation.

Sometimes I will also try to envision a particular thing like a building, landscape, or artwork etc.
Juliar252
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliar252.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by Juliar252 »

Sometimes I find myself thinking or acting like a character in a book I am reading. This is typically good, as I may unintentionally embody the boldness or confidence of a book character.
Alice Thokchom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thokchom-alice.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Alice Thokchom »

I don't normally do this when reading a book, but when watching movies, I tend to adopt the characteristics, even their accent, for a few days.
A joke is to entertain people. If it fails to do so, it's something else!
dianaterrado
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dianaterrado.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by dianaterrado »

I don't think I've ever done this. Although sometimes I'd like to think I become as badass as the heroines in books I read 😂
"We should all have something to be weirdly passionate about."
Louanne Piccolo
Currently Reading: A Judegement in Stone
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-louanne-piccolo.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Louanne Piccolo »

Roddy Doyle's books have this effect on me. The Irish speech patterns stay with me a while after reading his books.

I've also been guilty of wanting to do whatever profession the main character does if it's interesting... and I actually love my job! So fickle, I am.
It's likely I will die next to a pile of things I was meaning to read - Lemony Snicket
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

Not so much their personal characteristics. But when I read from some of the mysteries centered around a Tea shop, I find that I drink more tea. And if I'm reading a wine series, I might try some of the wines listed in the book.
jesscat304
Favorite Book: The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A f*ck
Currently Reading: It Ends with Us
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesscat304.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by jesscat304 »

To be honest I do this with both tv shows and books, as I realised after reading a book where the girl is very withdrawn and shy I started behaving that way. Whereas, when I started reading a book said in the Scottish highlands I started adopting a Scottish accent, so I totally understand what you mean!
shravsi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Crime and Punishment
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shravsi.html
Latest Review: Sam the Chosen by Wally Jones

Post by shravsi »

I am also guilty of doing this. I need to control myself not to act like the book's character. My mood greatly reflects the book I was reading when I am talking with others or how I see things.
paulkinyuao+
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by paulkinyuao+ »

Hi, there. First of all, this applause bringing this out into the world. In the times when this has been true, I have considered myself the possibility that I am slowly losing it. but seeing this here, now, is a reason to rejoice. I am not alone!!!! :D
DragonLight877
Favorite Author: Patrick Rothfuss
Favorite Book: The Slow Regard of Silent Things
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonlight877.html
Latest Review: Shepherds of Destiny by Kiel Barnekov
fav_author_id: 3201

Post by DragonLight877 »

I can do this sometimes if I really like a characteristic that someone has in a book, that I would also like to have. But it doesn't usually last forever.
Empan16
Currently Reading: Little Women
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-empan16.html
Latest Review: Away To Me, My Love by Naomi McDonald

Post by Empan16 »

I think that with every book that I read, I learn new ways that people think and view the world. I think that I tend to adopt these views as more of a way to grow as an individual and become a better version of myself. Even in fictional worlds and realms, I find that these stories and characters embody the struggles and issues found within the modern world. These values and ideas found in many books have helped influence the way that I view different things in my own life.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”