Paperback or Hardcover?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
kastle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kastle.html
Latest Review: Going to Wings by Sandra Worsham

Re: Paperback or Hardcover?

Post by kastle »

Hard copy, there is no better feeling than holding a solid strong book in your hands.
P0tt3ry
Favorite Book: The Dresden Files
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p0tt3ry.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by P0tt3ry »

Paperbacks for casual reads. Hardbacks for anything I like well enough to keep on the permanent shelf. Both hardback, to stay nicely on the shelf, and paperback, to throw in my purse or the carseat, for books I'm going to read over and over.
brunettebiblio
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brunettebiblio.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by brunettebiblio »

I don't think I can actually answer this question, because I like both for different reasons. I like hardbacks because they look better on shelves and don't get destroyed as easily. I like paperbacks because they're light and portable, easier to read, and are a lot cheaper. I usually make my decision based on whether or not I have any more in a series (if I start with hardback I stick with hardback and vice versa), or which cover art I like better.
AbbyGNelson
Currently Reading: Heir to the Empire
Bookshelf Size: 839
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbygnelson.html
Latest Review: Asa's Gift by Isaac Green

Post by AbbyGNelson »

Hardback are often prettier, but I prefer to read paperback. Also, paperback books are easier to take with you since they are lighter.
Christene
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Christene »

Hard cover, look so much better on the bookshelf,and last longer. Book marks seem to never get lost, as compared to paperback. :techie-studyingbrown:
Human314
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-human314.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Human314 »

It really depends. If I am going on Holiday then I take paperbacks, and if I am at home I use hardcover. Although I still use a lot of paperbacks at home just because of cost.
Maggie G
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggie-g.html
Latest Review: Andalusian in Jerusalem by Mois benarroch

Post by Maggie G »

For kids’ books, I like hardcover because they get read so often and hardcover holds up better.
Mads202

Post by Mads202 »

I prefer hardcover over paperback because my hardcover books last a long longer. I grew up reading hardcover books. I probably just grew to feel more comfortable with them.
sammiereads
Currently Reading: Truthwitch
Bookshelf Size: 546

Post by sammiereads »

Paperback but they break more easily
Miss Understood
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Miss Understood »

Yep. I agree with everyone else it seems. Paperback is fine unless it is my favorite series or author. For those I do tend to get hardback to keep to read again and again.
Mschynamonroe

Post by Mschynamonroe »

I really don't mind, unless I know I will keep the book for quite some time. There is something about the smell of a hardback when it ages a little. That is what made me love reading as a child. A cozy spot, a hot drink and a hardback book.

I'm all grown up now and paperbacks just don't last with for kids running around. Needless to say, I also don't have much time four reading anymore.
cozark38
Currently Reading: Life Before
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cozark38.html
Latest Review: Something About Ann by J. Everett Prewitt

Post by cozark38 »

I enjoy both because they contain the main element I most love when reading, actual paper. I like the smell of it, the feel of it, and the sound of a page turning. When I write stories, I still use pencil and notebook paper. Then I will type it at some point, but...reading is not complete unless you get to feel the pages, in my humble opinion.
baisley
Currently Reading:

Post by baisley »

most books i buy are older then me so its paperback tbh
MandySneed85

Post by MandySneed85 »

I have a really bad habit of taking more than one book with me when I go places. Espically when I am in the middle of a series! So if it is available yet I go paperback. If not, I get a stronger purse and take the hardback books with me. The books that mean the most to me are the ones that I have in both. Then there is the third copy i have one my kindle also! 😁
Elke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elke.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Elke »

Hardcover for me because a lot of paperbacks read really annoying. I hate having to strain to keep a book open. But that said I also have paperbacks that read really nice. I guess it depends on the book.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”