Paperback or Hardcover?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
dssccoach
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 413

Re: Paperback or Hardcover?

Post by dssccoach »

I actually have no preference for either. I love books, plain and simple. I do like the fact hardbacks can withstand more readings and last longer. But I love the price of paperbacks.

I have a huge collection of books in our home. We have a large bookshelf in our bedroom, one in the foyer, one in the kitchen, a half shelf in each of the kids' rooms and one in the living room. The baby, who is not yet 2, has a basket of board books, starting her collection already. I have a few boxes in the garage of books that have been packed up and need to go to the second hand store to be traded in for new books. But it is the ebook library that is scary. I am amazed at how many ebooks we have now! We never could have that with either paperbacks or hardbacks.

I think my preference for buying is not paperback or hardback, but digital. I love the convenience of using my phone, tablet, computer, or Kindle to read anything I want. If I get bored with a book, I find another in my massive library. If I finish something, I can easily pull up a new one without having to carry 2 books with me when I go out.

Trisha
palilogy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-palilogy.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by palilogy »

Hardcover if I’m going to keep it for my library.
J3nni315
Currently Reading: Music to My Ears (Pre-Release Beta Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j3nni315.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by J3nni315 »

I honestly think that it depends on the book. For books where I highly enjoy the author, then I want it in hardcover, but otherwise I don't care if it is paper or hardcover. Both types of books have their pros and cons but overall I like hardcover better.
Quinn062496
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Quinn062496 »

I don't really have a preference of hardcover or paperback books. Although hardcover last longer but sometimes they have a type of paper on the top that I always worry about it getting damaged. They are also a little bit more expensive then paperback. Paperback books are a little more liable to rip. I guess it all depends on how well they are taken care of. I have more paperback in my library then anything but I guess that's because paperback books are cheaper, and the cheaper they are the more I can buy!
millyweb19
Currently Reading: Gulliver's Travels
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-millyweb19.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by millyweb19 »

I love the aesthetic look of a hardback book and if I was reading inside all the time, I'd exclusively by them. But paperbacks are easier to carry around. I'd also rather write in a paperback (if I needed to for uni, but I usually opt for sticky notes). For school and such, paperback and kindle is so much easier.
aasplen01

Post by aasplen01 »

Hardcover so I don’t have to worry about bending the cover
RabidFox
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by RabidFox »

I do have a question about hardback books if anyone can answer me this. What is the purpose of a "dust jacket"? Literally, it seems to suggest that it protects the book from dust, but why would you specifically seek to keep your books free of dust? Does it harm the book? Many hardback books come with dust jackets, but I always remove them. I prefer the artwork underneath or the lack of any decoration at all. A plain cover can make a book look old fashioned in a nice, nostalgic way.
Mavin511
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mavin511.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by Mavin511 »

I like Hardcovers for collecting purposes. I like Paperback for carrying around all over with me. I don't have to worry about the covers coming off - my main pet peeve when attempting to read.

Hardcovers are nice to have if you have the room on your shelves for them. I also prefer to get them autographed than Paperbacks as well. I just do. I guess I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to collecting.

Paperbacks are perfect for taking about and about. I don't have to worry about spines being broken or ruined because I turn an open book over for a moment or two. I don't have to worry about stains because I can always get another copy fairly cheaply. Actually, to me, stains, rips and tears(little ones) add to the book's appeal as each one holds a memory I will cherish. :-)

These are just my opinions of course. :-)
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

I have no preference in terms of handling. If I'm buying books, I usually lean toward the cheaper paperback version. Unless it's a book I absolutely love. Then it's hardcover. Which reminds me, I'm on the lookout for a nice hardcover copy of Steinbeck's East of Eden. I've gone through two paperback versions in my lifetime. One of my favorite books of all time.
elivia05
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elivia05.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by elivia05 »

I prefer paperback. When I buy a hardcover book, I typically do not read it because it feels to nice to crack open and get drawn into. Paperback has a more natural feel to me. Also, the lower price of paperback books is an added bonus!
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

Paperback. My children always run off with the sleeve to hardbacks.
:techie-studyingbrown:
Ealin
Bookshelf Size: 60

Post by Ealin »

Hardcover hands down. I love the look of Hardcovers standing in my bookshelves, they are sturdier and the spines don't crack.
But I do also buy paperbacks because they are easier to carry around and of course cheaper. Also I live in a country were most english books in stores are only available in paperback, so if I don't want to order online all the time I have to buy paperbacks. I do it for books I either like the cover for the paperback more or am not that interested in to pay the full hardback price.
daniya__shah3
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniya-shah3.html
Latest Review: Lonely Expiation by Siegfried Finser

Post by daniya__shah3 »

Paperback for the win! I think it is more easier to carry around.
"We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars."
-Oscar Wilde
Dusamae
Favorite Book: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 116
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dusamae.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by Dusamae »

Before I got my Kindle I loved hard backs books best. There is just something about starting a hard back book that I didn't get when starting a paperback.
mariread23
Currently Reading:

Post by mariread23 »

Does it really matter lol its all just a book doesnt mean paper or hardback u really must be about which looks better instead of the book itself.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”