Paperback or Hardcover?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
NateRiver
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by NateRiver »

Paperbacks. Cheap, nice to hold, mobile, and easier to store than their counterparts.
DSFlyman

Post by DSFlyman »

Paperback - unless I want to keep a hardcover displayed I want to be able to abuse it as I read!
Electronic Cigar

Post by Electronic Cigar »

Here is the thing I like both hardback and paperback. I like paperback in books that I might not total love and hardback on books that i think I will have forever.
breakingthehabit

Post by breakingthehabit »

hardbacks have a'classic/old' feeling about them, and they sound better when they close hehe. but i agree, paperbacks are cheaper, easier to carry everywhere
simplysarah

Post by simplysarah »

I prefer paperback books, I'll even wait for a book to go to paperback before I'll buy it. I like them because they're cheaper:) and because I like the feel of them over hardcover books.
Vixen

Post by Vixen »

paper. cheep light smaller. and yeah they feel nice.
DreamWeaver121
Favorite Author: Jim Butcher
fav_author_id: 2907

Post by DreamWeaver121 »

i prefer hardbound because the spines dont break as easily and the book itself feels so much more substantial when it is hardbound plus. I hate getting jackets for the books because i love to trace the engravings on the hardcover and just i guess let my fingertips read the book. I dont know it may sound weird but hey thats life for u. weird as hell and totally wack sometimes. lol take it easy
M :D
Life is not a bed of roses its a valley of thorns twisting and tearing into the strands of time. But, in the middle of every valley their is a river. If you find that river follow it. For it shall lead you to the sea. Then you will finally be free.
-MO
BookMePlease

Post by BookMePlease »

I go primarily with paperbacks, just because they easily fit in my purse or tote bag. If there is a hardcover I really want, I go ahead and get it though (at novelaction.com, not new!)
sharon.gmc

Post by sharon.gmc »

Paperbacks are more cheaper than hardbound. But if you are seeking for a good quality go and buy the hardbound.
hyukawa

Post by hyukawa »

maybe depends on how i feel about a book. those books that are reference-like may be better served by hard back because it endures, and is easier to open and lay out for studying. but novels and such, i have a more functional view. i just want to read it in some convenient fashion, and the small size and flexibility of softcover makes it more so than hard back.
Doug_Brunell

Post by Doug_Brunell »

Either is fine by me, but I read "Nightmare USA" in hardcover, and that book actually made my arms tired.
timetogrow

Post by timetogrow »

Decodemymessage wrote:Which do you prefer? I am neutral and have both. Lol. When ever I get a series though I tend to get them all in paperback or hardcover. I know... I'm a snob. :roll: :lol:
paperback is easier to carry but the paper quality is very bad, become yellowish very fast.
CuppaTea

Post by CuppaTea »

Years ago my roommate was commenting about how smart a neighbor guy was, he would sit on the patio and read hardcover books. So which are babe magnets? Oops, don't mean any double meaning here. :wink:

I like new hardcovers with dust jackets. There is something so luxuriously decadent about it, whether I own it, borrowed it or checked it out of the library.
Retired Teacher

Post by Retired Teacher »

I prefer hardbacks and for now I can afford them. Nothing like the feel and heft of a hardbound book. They are the best if you read while you are eating a meal -- easier for them to stay open so you can use both hands to dig into your meal!

I am not above buying a paperback in a Used Bookstore especially if I have not heard of that author and want to experiment. This way I am only out a few bucks if I don't like the author.
pontalba

Post by pontalba »

I have loads of both, but will go with a hardback if the price is right. Right as in cheap. I've tons of hardbacks that I've bought second hand that are in excellent condition. Bought both at second hand stores and Amazon Marketplace. For paperbacks I do strive to find a trade sized one, otoh, I have shelves and shelves of regular mass market paperbacks.

Someone above said they try to keep series of the same type, and I agree, if I start a series in a certain size, I stick with it. It isn't snobbery, it's symmetry. :)

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”