Paperback or Hardcover?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Bighuey
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Re: Paperback or Hardcover?

Post by Bighuey »

Well, youve certainly got the looks for it and thats a start. You kinda look like Marina Sirtis, she was counciler Troi in the Star Trek Naxt generation series. Edit-Except for her weird hair-dos.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
Gannon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Colleen McCullough
Favorite Book: Pillars of the Earth
Currently Reading: Heaven's Net is Wide.
Bookshelf Size: 52
fav_author_id: 2863

Post by Gannon »

For reading I don't really mind if it is paperback or hardcover, but for my collecting, obviously it has to be hardcover. :)
Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless. - Mother Teresa
Bergamot
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Bergamot »

I like paperback as they are lighter, but it depends what your reading. If I'm working on projects, I like the ring binder type book - as it lies flat. Cookery books I like as hardbacks because they wear better, I think.
anu_
Currently Reading: Idiot by Fyodor

Post by anu_ »

I prefer a paperback over hardcover, as it is lighter in weight, easy to carry and much less expensive than the hardcover edition, which simply means I can enjoy more books by spending the same amount of money. :D
"Children were playing when Holston climbed to his death" Wool by Hug Howey
CashJames
Favorite Author: Leo Tolstoy
fav_author_id: 2780

Post by CashJames »

Buying paperback saves money and leaves more room available on your bookshelf. How can a person go wrong?
"We're all in the gutter, but some of us are looking up at the stars." - Oscar Wilde
litlovebug2006

Post by litlovebug2006 »

CashJames wrote:Buying paperback saves money and leaves more room available on your bookshelf. How can a person go wrong?
I am of a similar disposition. Hardcovers are more difficult to transport; I never have enough room to carry one of those around. I also find it frustrating dealing with the paper cover over the hardcover. I always have to remove that because while I am reading it often slips off and/or gets torn in transport. It is also far too expensive to buy hardcover books. I realize that they can last longer than paperbacks but I feel much more guilty buying a $17 book than a $7 paperback.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

litlovebug2006 wrote:
CashJames wrote:Buying paperback saves money and leaves more room available on your bookshelf. How can a person go wrong?
I am of a similar disposition. Hardcovers are more difficult to transport; I never have enough room to carry one of those around. I also find it frustrating dealing with the paper cover over the hardcover. I always have to remove that because while I am reading it often slips off and/or gets torn in transport. It is also far too expensive to buy hardcover books. I realize that they can last longer than paperbacks but I feel much more guilty buying a $17 book than a $7 paperback.
I know what you mean, the dustjacket can be annoying sometimes but I find if I remove it I hate the feel of the hard cover ... so I can't win. That said I rarely buy hardback unless from the second hand shop but it is usually hardback I get from the library.
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
marQus3

Post by marQus3 »

For my book collection and treasured stories nothing but hardback will do. I still have quite a collection of paperbacks too, mostly from my younger days when hardback books were a luxury I simply couldn't afford, but these days if it's just to read (here comes a monkey-wrench for this thread ;) and not to collect, I prefer eBooks. No trees are harmed by generating an eBook and paperbacks just don't hold up well in the long-run, making for a waste of paper. If paperback is simply the only option, I won't let it stop me from buying a book I want to read, but I ALWAYS look for the eBoook first unless it's for collecting on my bookshelves. Anyone else here have a preference for eBooks at all?
BookCritic101

Post by BookCritic101 »

Paperback because the price is right
love_aud
Favorite Author: Ray Bradbury
Favorite Book: Memoirs of a Geisha
Currently Reading: Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins
fav_author_id: 2498

Post by love_aud »

I like paperback books a lot more because of being able to fold the book and make it smaller, I don't like hardcover because of the cover and the paper over the cover, if that wasn't on hardcovers, I'd be all over them.
Love Audrey, future photojournalist/writer :)
pa3de8
Favorite Author: Brian Keene
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: Great Train Wrecks of Eastern PA
fav_author_id: 25750

Post by pa3de8 »

I think each has their pros & cons. I like paperbacks because they take up less space and are easier to handle. But they do get mangle/beat up very easy. Hard covers are good because they outside of the book is a bit more durable except for ones with dust jackets. Either way I do try and make sure they are kept in good condition so I can pass them along to other people on another book site or in person.

Scott B.
RuqeeD

Post by RuqeeD »

For me it's pretty much what i can find at bargain price - since i have limited funds and i'd rather buy as many books as i can, i go for the affordable. That being said, when a new book is released and therefore is not available at say Amazon Marketplace i dont mind splurging and getting it in hardcover straight away if i cant wait! I have an eclectic mix on my bookshelf, especially my series, some within the series are paperbacks, other hardcovers, some are American editions, others UK - i dont really care as long as i can read it!
brttn89
Favorite Author: Mark Twain
Favorite Book: Gone With the Wind
fav_author_id: 2664

Post by brttn89 »

I used to by my books however I could get them. But, lately Ive been only trying to but hardcovers. Even if I have to pay more.
'Classic' a book which people praise but don't read~Mark Twain
pa3de8
Favorite Author: Brian Keene
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: Great Train Wrecks of Eastern PA
fav_author_id: 25750

Post by pa3de8 »

I trade/swap most of my books. I do buy some, but for the most part I get them in trades. There is a site called paperbackswap.com I use where you can paperbacks, hardcovers and even audio books on any topic. Been a member since early 2009 and I love it. It's enabled me to get a lot of books to read that I wouldn't have been able to afford to pay for brand new.

Scott B.
tonya10057
Favorite Author: Nora Roberts
Favorite Book: honest illusions
Currently Reading: The next always
fav_author_id: 3258

Post by tonya10057 »

paperbacks

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”