Paperback or Hardcover?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
uyky
Favorite Author: Charles de Lint
Currently Reading: Tapping the Dream Tree
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uyky.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
fav_author_id: 6861

Re: Paperback or Hardcover?

Post by uyky »

I prefer hardback, but I honestly can't remember last book I read that wasn't an ebook :(
hartman20
Currently Reading: Thrive
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hartman20.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by hartman20 »

I usually get paperback because it's cheaper. If they cost the same, I would prefer hardback because they're more durable.
chrystalheart
Currently Reading: Fire and fury
Bookshelf Size: 725
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystalheart.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by chrystalheart »

When choosing between the two, I prefer paperback. They are easier to hold and fit in small spaces in a purse or pocket. I also don't feel as bad when I scuff up a paperback (which is silly, I know). I find they also fit in my library better. I have approximately 800 books. Size is important. My husband, seeing the writing on the wall, purchased a kindle for me. And lately, I've been using audible. I love having the flexibility of large type, now that I'm getting older, and even having stories read to me while I do other things.
Bandrea
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by Bandrea »

Paperback
Written Legalist
Currently Reading: Gone Girl
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-written-legalist.html
Latest Review: "Heaven and Earth" by Arturo Riojas

Post by Written Legalist »

I prefer paperback mainly because I don’t feel as bad if I destroy the book’s cover or spine
Latest Review: "Heaven and Earth" by Arturo Riojas
Joy2thenations
Currently Reading: A Ton of Gold
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy2thenations.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Joy2thenations »

Paperback that I can curl into my hand.
Johni_Elliott
Currently Reading: The Last Star
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Johni_Elliott »

Hardcover, all the way. They look prettier, they're more durable and you don't break the spine just by opening them, they're easier to hold, plus I like the idea of being able to use my reading material as a form of self defense. XD

On the other hand, paperback are cheaper and I'm super broke, so I guess both have their perks.
pink boy
Currently Reading: The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-Chan
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by pink boy »

It really depends... I hate having a paperback cover that curls up after you read it, but I also like to read laying down, which a hardcover book isn't always ideal for... besides, paperbacks are cheaper.
Alexandralb2
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Alexandralb2 »

I am probably more of a paperback than Hardcover person, mostly because I travel a lot! Saying that I am definitely in favour of ebooks! My Kindle is one of my best friends! I can take so much more stuff travelling with me now that the weight is not taken up with books!
Honeybeetle
Currently Reading: Snow Crash
Bookshelf Size: 318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honeybeetle.html
Latest Review: Loving Well, The Key To Satisfying and Joyful Relationships by Erin K Leonard (Dr Erin Leonard)

Post by Honeybeetle »

I mostly read books on my Kindle app on my phone these days (which is great for saving space in a small apartment, but not so great comfort-wise). If it's a matter of adding to my forever collection, I prefer hardback all the way. They're more durable and they look nicer. That being said, there's something about the feel and smell of an older paperback that's very appealing.
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

I usually would purchase paperback because I couldn't afford to buy all the books that I wanted, but then I found The Dollar Tree and second hand shops, as well as all of the free ebooks that are available. Before I got a kindle I couldn't imagine not reading physical books but honestly, I love books any way that I have access to them. I even have a small collection of audio books.
webliquidinfotech
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by webliquidinfotech »

i prefer paperback when i can't find the hardcover.
RebeccasReading
Currently Reading: I, Richard Plantagenet
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccasreading.html
Latest Review: Man of the Sea by Nathan Kippley

Post by RebeccasReading »

I read EVERYTHING on my kindle now, but I always prefered paperback. The reading experience also felt more intimate compared to a bulky hardcover.
Poet0113
Currently Reading: The Lightning Theif
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reading Device: B01LYLAALJ

Post by Poet0113 »

Paperbacks are so original but hardcovers make it easier for me to keep the book in place so just for convenience sake I'll say hardcover.
Kimber72
Currently Reading: Blood Fury
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Kimber72 »

I usually get paper back,but save the hard backs for my favorite authors or special books,or a series i absolutely love ill get in hard back,and still take special care of my paper backs :D

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”