Paperback or Hardcover?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Ajbish
Currently Reading: A Kingdom Forgotten
Bookshelf Size: 15

Re: Paperback or Hardcover?

Post by Ajbish »

Hardcover simply because I drag books all over the place and if I don't get the hardcover I end up ruining them awfuly quick :oops:
Sustannard
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sustannard »

It depends. For most purposes, paperback is fine. But if it a book to keep on my shelf to be reread or for lovely illustrations or some other reason, then i get a hardcover. For example, I would one a lovely illustrated version of The Alchemist.
lbhatters
Favorite Book: Life is Too Short to Waste and Do Nothing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lbhatters.html
Latest Review: Life is to Short to Waste and do Nothing by Gracie Curry Holman
Reading Device: B077WTB2LY

Post by lbhatters »

Decodemymessage wrote: 01 Mar 2009, 19:53 Which do you prefer? I am neutral and have both. Lol. When ever I get a series though I tend to get them all in paperback or hardcover. I know... I'm a snob. :roll: :lol:
I prefer paperback. I like that you can curl the pages on paperback, and hardcover books are heavier.
:techie-studyinggray: Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.
-Fransis of Assisi

It's perfectly ok to write garbage, as long as you edit brilliantly.
-C.J. Cherryh
6912dirtyfeet
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by 6912dirtyfeet »

As convienent as it may be to carry and handle the paperback book I prefer the hard cover because it does'nt get destroyed so easily. I like to keep me books in pristine condition and not all bent up or the cover is torn. So hard cover is the ticket for me.
bhardin12
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by bhardin12 »

I typically like the cover art of paperbacks more.. however,when it comes to reading them, hardcovers are more difficult to handle. I can bend the paperbacks and they are a bit lighter to hold up (and carry around). Lately, however, for shelving purposes, I like hardcovers more regardless of their "cons." They look better on the shelf! Now that I found thirftbooks, they are also the same price as paperbacks!
Asen Stoyanchev
Favorite Book: Demon Freaks
Currently Reading: Sigrfried's Smelly Socks
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asen-stoyanchev.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Asen Stoyanchev »

At the beginning I was a die hard paperback fan. But after I tried reading on a Kindle device things drastically changed.
I love that it gives me unlimited opportunities of storing my books and the fact that I can find some books only in e-format.
“Books are mirrors: you only see in them what you already have inside you.”
― Carlos Ruiz Zafón, The Shadow of the Wind
phoenix0014
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by phoenix0014 »

Paperback would do thou case it's cheap. When ever I get a series though I tend to get them all in paperback. 😂
elinadsy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elinadsy.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by elinadsy »

Paper all the way!!!! Cheaper and lighter, though if the hardback is especially nice I might indulge.
EllieA
Currently Reading: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elliea.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by EllieA »

Paperback. Hardcovers just feel unwieldy to me. And I like to be able to read a book one-handed. The other hand is for tea/ snacks/ cat petting. :animals-cat:
jvez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jvez.html
Latest Review: The Providence of Fortune by T. K. Love

Post by jvez »

I mainly purchase paperbacks as they are cheaper. But if there is a series of books that I love and wish to collect, I purchase the hardbound version.
BethOLee
Currently Reading: Burn Bright
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by BethOLee »

I think for economical and space, I prefer paperbacks. I typically get hardbooks for book signings. If I am not sure if I will like a book, I tend to get it from the library first and then buy it and other books in the series if I want then enough to keep. Alternatively, I tend to checkout out the whole series, whether paperback or hardback, from the library if I enjoy it but not enough to read them more than once.
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

If I know I'm going to read this book repeatedly or that I'll want to pass it on to others, I'll get it in hardcover. I read a book when I was younger that I absolutely loved but the paperback started to fall apart as I shared it with my friends and siblings. By the end, pages were held in by will alone and the spine was so cracked you could no longer read the title. Everyone I shared the book with loved it but then it was too fragile to pass on.
britburkett87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by britburkett87 »

Oh this is easy for me. It would be hard cover, hands down! The durability of it compared to paperback is way over the top and I feel more connected to it when the books not all bent and folded.
Clinical1
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Effective Leaders and Leadership
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clinical1.html
Latest Review: Breaking Sandcastles by Kirk Burris
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Clinical1 »

I am in the process of clearing all of my paperback books and donating them. I don't find the need to keep them, but I know they will help someone else.
Helpme71
Favorite Book: The Cruel Romance
Currently Reading: Last Shot
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helpme71.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Helpme71 »

Personally, if I am going to own the book, I would prefer it to be a hardcover. As someone who enjoys to read, I would rather not have a paperback book that will fall apart after reading it over and over and over again. Also, as a future educator, I would prefer to have hardcover books to try and prevent as much book destruction by my students as possible.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”