Paperback or Hardcover?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
book_worm 101
Currently Reading: See How Small
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-worm-101.html
Latest Review: The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

Icon Re: Paperback or Hardcover?

Post by book_worm 101 »

Both paperback and hardcover have their pros and cons. Paperback are less expensive, allow for more space on a bookshelf, and are more convenient altogether. They, however, get torn very easily.
Hardcover are a lot "fancier" per say and they don't tear as easily. I prefer paperback probably because I am cheap and have a smallish bookshlef. However, anytime I can get my hands on a hardcover series, I prefer it.
RabidFox
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by RabidFox »

Sometimes, I prefer a book in hardcover and sometimes I prefer a book in paperback. When buying a series of books, I prefer that they all be one or the other. If it's a novel, I tend to like paperback. If it's informative, like a psychology book, it just depends on the book itself—If it's very long, then hardback is better, but if it's on the shorter side, then paperback may be a better option.

I do wonder when I see a novel in both paperback and hardcover, why hardcover always seems to have more pages than the paperback format. I don't know if the story is being abridged or if the print and margins are simply bigger. It can be confusing, and I don't like the possibility that I'm missing out on something simply because I'm buying the book in paperback. For example, the hardcover versions of the Warriors Super Editions by Erin Hunter appear to be much larger than their paperback cousins. I find it baffling. Shouldn't someone put "abridged" on a book if it's abridged? It seems like a lot of guesswork.

But, yeah, one of the advantages of hardback is that it's easier to keep the pages from flipping on you. Paperback requires you to damage the spine, in order to read it. However, hardback books stay nice. I have a particularly thick paperback with a very creased spine after only reading one of the stories that was in it—It was an omnibus. The crease looks horrible, like I've abused the book when, in actuality, I tried to be careful with it. Another advantage of hardback books is that you can easily use highlighters. Trying to use a highlighter in a paperback is a bit difficult.

I'd say the best advantage to a paperback is that it's significantly cheaper than the hardback version. That and I have a personal liking for them despite the cons. There's just something about a novel in paperback that really gets you interested in reading the book simply because of its format. A kind of subconscious desire for the simpler things. Like preferring candlelight to an electric lamp.
book_worm 101

Post by book_worm 101 »

Both paperback and hardcover have their pros and cons. Paperback are less expensive, allow for more space on a bookshelf, and are more convenient altogether. They, however, get torn very easily.
Hardcover are a lot "fancier" per say and they don't tear as easily. I prefer paperback probably because I am cheap and have a smallish bookshlef. However, anytime I can get my hands on a hardcover series, I prefer it.
Mely918
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mely918.html
Latest Review: I'm Going to Kill that Cat by F. Della Notte

Post by Mely918 »

Definitely prefer paperback over hardcover. I can get a good whiff of the smell of old books especially from a paperback copy. I know.... I'm weird. :lol:
smaxwell0017
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by smaxwell0017 »

I like paperback. They're cheaper and easier to handle. I don't mind that they get torn up easier- I like a book that's a little worn.
Wesley Liu
Currently Reading: The Boy in the Striped Pajamas
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Wesley Liu »

I think hardcover is a better option. Although it may cost more, knowledge is priceless. To be able to preserve this knowledge as much as possible (hence a hardcover book) is the best choice. Paperback can be easily ripped, and the book can easily be permanently bent or curved. This would infringe on the concentration one reading, because the physical structure of the book would make it harder to read and could be annoying and maybe frustrating at some times. Hardcover usually does not have this problem, and although it is more bulky and more pricey, I think the positives aspects outweigh the negative aspects of it.
llpwap
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-llpwap.html
Latest Review: Betrayal of Faith by Mark M. Bello

Post by llpwap »

I actually have both paperback and hardcover in my bookshelves. Sadly, since ebooks have come out I haven’t picked up either in a long time. The series that I collected are all hardback though.
book_worm 101

Post by book_worm 101 »

Mely918 wrote: 28 May 2018, 23:52 Definitely prefer paperback over hardcover. I can get a good whiff of the smell of old books especially from a paperback copy. I know.... I'm weird. :lol:
A friend of mine would buy old books just for the smell.
cpivie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by cpivie »

If it's a book I want to keep forever, I prefer hardcover because they last longer. If it's a book I want for a quick read, new try, or to read and give away, I prefer paperback because it's more cost effective.
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

I have both hardcover and paperback, but I prefer hardcover. The book seems sturdier and doesn't fall apart the way paperbacks due when you read them. They also look much better setting on the shelf.
Mely918
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mely918.html
Latest Review: I'm Going to Kill that Cat by F. Della Notte

Post by Mely918 »

book_worm 101 wrote: 31 May 2018, 12:45
Mely918 wrote: 28 May 2018, 23:52 Definitely prefer paperback over hardcover. I can get a good whiff of the smell of old books especially from a paperback copy. I know.... I'm weird. :lol:
A friend of mine would buy old books just for the smell.
Haha! Glad to know I'm not the only one out there. :P
f-callisaya
Favorite Book: The Fellowship of the Ring
Currently Reading: Blood of the Prophets
Bookshelf Size: 1546
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by f-callisaya »

Most of my books are purchased used so I usually take what I can get. I do prefer paperbacks, though, both for the ease of transport/storage and because they're usually cheaper.
thaservices1
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thaservices1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by thaservices1 »

Paperbacks please. Ow my poor wrists. Plus I always end up fidgeting the corners on the hardbacks, terrible for the book.
"It is not the critic that counts..."
- Roosevelt
BookishCoffeeBlog
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishcoffeeblog.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by BookishCoffeeBlog »

For me, it depends on the situation. I like well-made paperback books whose spine is not easily cracked. I hate cracking of spines! Paperbacks are easier to handle when reading as well. Also, low key, I think paperbacks smell better than hardcovers for some reason. But honestly all books smell different depending on where they were manufactured. However I love hardcovers for their look on my shelf. The dust jacket usually has gorgeous art on it and they look so good together on my shelf. But... series have to be the same! Which is why if I am actively following a recent series I will collect it in hardcover so that I can read it as soon as it is released. If not, such as older series, I will collect them in paperback because they are cheaper. :D
RedLetter
Currently Reading: The War Within, the Story of Josef
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redletter.html
Latest Review: Toxic Side Effect by Sandy Magner

Post by RedLetter »

I have variety of both. I think it depends on where I purchase them from. For example, if I am at a used books store, and see a title that grabs me, I may just purchase the book, whether it is paperback or hardcover. Booklovers don't discriminate. :)

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”