Paperback or Hardcover?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Andolinaz90
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Paperback or Hardcover?

Post by Andolinaz90 »

Most definitely hardcover. The durability sells it for me. I keep all of my books and I like that they can stand nicely on a bookshelf, even after being read multiple times.
TieWall
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by TieWall »

Hardcovers whenever possible. I dont like when the corners of the book crease or fold. ??
Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

I used to always be paperback but nowadays if there is a new book I want I will get the hardcover if I don't want to wait for the paperback. You can get some good offers so it's not too much more expensive.
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
BookWorm9819
Currently Reading: Hunted

Post by BookWorm9819 »

I think hardcover is best for bigger books and for books that are collector's edition or perhaps with a more gorgeous cover, but in terms to medium/small books I just prefer paperback for the flexibility when reading. Although the spines do tend to get worn down over time.
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Hardcover, but truly yes and yes! ;)
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
Bookworm39
Favorite Book: To Tempt a Knight
Currently Reading: to seduce a knight
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm39.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Bookworm39 »

I love both but usually buy the paperback because it is cheaper. But if I find a good deal on hardcovers then I buy it. Paperbacks are lighter to take with you when you travel though.
Catherine and AJ
Currently Reading: Harry potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reading Device: B002Y27P3M

Post by Catherine and AJ »

If I am reading a larger book, I prefer hardcover. However, I usually go with whichever is cheapest. I read too much to spend more on hardcover, but if I can find a hardcover book that is cheaper than the paperback edition (usually used), I'll buy the hardcover edition. I am currently reading the Outlander series, which has rather thick books. If my mom had not already purchased the books in paperback for me as a Christmas present, I would probably have purchased them in hardcover since I am predicting after I have read through them a few times (I read the same book multiple times), I will need to replace them with hardcover versions.
KiMB00P
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by KiMB00P »

I like the feel of a hardcover in my hands, but there's been one too many times that I've dropped them on my face when reading in bed. :P
Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

Had to buy my newest one in hardcover because I just HAD to have it....But it's heavy!!!!!
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
kinggabrel
Currently Reading: Raven's Peak

Post by kinggabrel »

Hardcover looks pretty on shelves and they don't easily get damaged so i'll go with the hardcover.
annadorina
Bookshelf Size: 33

Post by annadorina »

hardcover
Mickiee
Currently Reading: Laiden's Daughter
Bookshelf Size: 55

Post by Mickiee »

OoOooOo! I so love this question! Way back in the day when I had first moved out & was making my 1st personal library, I was a hard cover book snob. If it was a favorite author or series, absolutely hard cover!
Now, fast forward 25 years, 3 dogs that chew books, several heavy as heck Rubbermade containers full of books to awkward to drag around. Paper back has become a very acceptable form of book in my library. And to just end this off... I swore I'd never ever get ebooks! I want to feel the book in my hands! Well, head Hanging low, I have a very full kindle app& really appreciate being able drag around tons of books at the flick of a finger.
3c_robles

Post by 3c_robles »

Hardcover for at home. Paperback for on the go.
Steph K
Currently Reading: The Hobbit
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steph-k.html
Latest Review: Ever After by H M Irwing

Post by Steph K »

Paperback or hardcover doesn't matter to me, but I do prefer a physical book!
paranormalbooklover
Currently Reading: After We Collided
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by paranormalbooklover »

I'm not picky. There are times when i would rather hardcover because I don't want to bend the pages or cover, but other times a paperback is easier. Right now i have all paperback books from the library!

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”